cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Plusnet from BT FTTP

vayidm

Going to Plusnet from BT FTTP

Hi there,

I understand Plusnet do FTTP but only via the trial. I currently have FTTP with BT and wish to switch. Is it just a case of ordering a standard ADSL phone line broadband from Plusnet (I still have the copper line connected) and once I'm fully activated, I request to be put on the trial?

The one thing I can't see is what the pricing would be for the FTTP. Is it the same as FTTC.

I already have my ONT installed so would it be a case of just applying for the trial and waiting for it to go live (using the ADSL whilst I wait)?

I would also like to keep the phone number we currently have, would that be possible?

Thanks for any replies.

4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Going to Plusnet from BT FTTP

Yes , you must be a Plusnet ADSL supplied customer before you can join the trial.

There is no migration of FTTP circuits, so BT would stop the FTTP circuit and then Plusnet would apply to get it going again. BT may change a termination fee.

The costs are the same as FTTC, and only 2 speeds available: 40/2 (yes 2Mb upstream) or 80/20.

And as you are transferring your phone line to Plusnet from BT, yes you can keep the number.

Finally,  as you have the hardware, it would be a case of using ADSL while waiting for the FTTP circuit to be activated for Plusnet use. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

In case you didn't know, Plusnet don't do voice over fibre. So you'll need to keep that with BT if you want it.

vayidm

So you can't have a phone line with FTTP?

What is this termination fee? I'm out of contract, will there still be a charge?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

With Plusnet the phone line must be the copper wire version. You would need a copper based phone line for ADSL anyway.

Only BT offer a phone service over fibre  (FVA).

I don't know what BT would charge for the termination fee (if anything at all). I do know that Plusnet will charge £30 should I leave regardless of whether I'm in contract or not (and I'm not).

And just to confuse you more, once you have completed your minimum copper phone line rental contract term, then Plusnet will allow you to cancel the copper phone line if you wish. I did this and use a VOIP solution to have a "landline" number for my town.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT