Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre trial,I have found a way to get 80Mps download

jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Fibre trial,I have found a way to get 80Mps download

Hi everyone
I've been on the fibre trial now for about a month and have been getting approx 17mbps and 8mbps up.  This is wireless with wireless G enabled laptop. The PS3 is much the same and is also wireless G. I have also tried through the Ethernet cable and found that I get very similar speeds, maybe at a good time of day getting up to about 23mbps down and 8 or 9 up.
I have just found to get the ultra high speeds promised you need to take a bit of a risk annd only use this method on trusted sites. By turning off the windows firewall and the web filtering on antivirus I am getting these speeds.
83.9 Mbps down
14.8 Mbps up
and a ping speed of 7ms
These are obtained using the Ethernet cable. Through wireless G there is only little improvement.Very good but I would only use on trusted sites.
Has anyone else tried this

17 REPLIES 17
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Fibre trial,I have found a way to get 80Mps download

If your anti-virus and web filtering is causing such a massive slow down in speed for you, I think you need either to find new anti-virus or reinstall your computer from scratch.
Short of some fault, I can't imagine why slow a download down so much, there intervention should be at the start of the download, and at the end, not during unless it does on the fly scanning, but even then, slow down %'s should be 3% to 15% not 80%!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jamiemahoney
These are obtained using the Ethernet cable. Through wireless G there is only little improvement.

Are you sure turning the anti-virus  off increase the throughput, thought it more likely to be the fact you are using the Ethernet port as the maximum speed using wireless G is 17mbps
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just done a comparison on my Win 7 
WiFi

Ethernet

the BT is below
I get strange results with the BT test WiFi, will do one in an hour
jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: jamiemahoney
These are obtained using the Ethernet cable. Through wireless G there is only little improvement.

Are you sure turning the anti-virus  off increase the throughput, thought it more likely to be the fact you are using the Ethernet port as the maximum speed using wireless G is 17mbps

Yes this is the case. I've had as much as 23 with wireless G but the norm is 12-17 Mbps depending on the time of day.. Using the Ethernet with both switched on makes little difference. It is certainly the fact that turning them off vastly increases the speed.
Is anyone getting close to these speeds with their Antivirus and windows fire walls on?
PS .This is the same with my work CPU which has a different Anti Virus set up.
jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
just done a comparison on my Win 7  
WiFi

Ethernet

the BT is below
I get strange results with the BT test WiFi, will do one in an hour

Have you turned off your firewall and antivirus though? You should then get much higher speeds through Ethenet
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Here is proof
This is wireless with all definitions on

This is with all definitions off with Ethernet
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The only fibre technology that could produce those speeds is FTTP which I believe runs at 100Mbs,  so is that what you are on?
FTTC has a maximum sync rate of 40Mbs down and 10Mbs up. If you are on FTTC then those high speeds are in error as it is not possible to get those on an FTTC connection.
jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Yes I'm on the Monkston FTTP trial in Milton Keynes. One of only two places in the UK apparently running this technology.
dick:quote
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

OK, that makes more sense.
A few things....
Wireless G will never reach speeds above about 19Mbs, and that's with the best wireless kit (and definitely not any of the thomson 585 versions which have a really bad wireless throughput). Wireless N should do a lot better but that involves changing the router I guess - what router are you using for the trial?
What anti-virus are you using? What do you get if you leave the windows firewall on and just turn off A/V?
If the A/V is causing such a slowdown then try MS security essentials or avira but not AVG which is pants now.
jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Hello Peter
The Router now supplied by plusnet is a Netgear wireless N router. Security is Avast Antivirus but as I said I'm getting similar results with my work PC which runs a different AV. If I leave the firewall on and AV off download reduces to around 25Mbps using Ethernet...
dick:quote
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Try the free Zonealarm firewall and see if that works better than the windows one. I use it and it makes no difference to my FTTC speeds.
The Windows firewall is so limited I'm surprised it makes such a difference  Shocked
jamiemahoney
Dabbler

apparently the router has  a built in firewall. Would this suffice?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No, as it only works in one direction - in. It will allow ALL traffic out whereas Zonealarm (and other PC based firewalls) allow protection both in and out.
A router firewall would not stop a virus infection on your PC from phoning home or infecting other PCs both on your local network and on the internet.
You should use the router firewall and a software firewall for best protection. Also the reason for trying ZoneAlrm is to see if it is the windows firewall causing your slowdowns.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Hmmm... interesting....
I just thought I would try running a speed test with Zonealarm turned off and was surprised at the result.
Note: I'm on FTTC with sync rates of 40Mbs down and 10Mbs up, the routers firewall was still active as is my A/V (MS Security essentials).
PlusNet speedtest
with Zonealarm firewall: 30Mbs down, 8.2Mbs up
without Zonealarm firewall: 36.5Mbs down, 8.1Mbs up
Speedtest.net
with Zonealarm firewall: 27.5Mbs down, 8.1Mbs up
without Zonealarm firewall: 35.5Mbs down, 8.1Mbs up
Think broadband
with Zonealarm firewall: 35Mbs down, 7.5Mbs up
without Zonealarm firewall: 35.4Mbs down,7.5Mbs up
So only thinkbroadband was not affected by having Zonealarm on. They use port 8095 whereas the others I think use port 80. So I tried thinkboadband again on port 80:
Think broadband port 80
with Zonealarm firewall: 35Mbs down, 7.5Mbs up
without Zonealarm firewall: 34.8Mbs down,7.7Mbs up
So not related to the port being used.
It is strange that Thinkbroadband speed tests remain consistent regardless of having ZA running whereas the others are significantly different.
So which speed test do I believe? And is my firewall actually causing a problem or not?