Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the door

kazzachick
Hooked

Fibre to the door

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone can help. Since getting the fibre to the door my speed has went up but when I am backing up my computer - or downloading photoshop updates etc other devices struggle, more so my son's xbox when he is playing games its lagging which was never a problem on the other broadband. I did a speed test while downloading an update and it was 8.01mbps download and 18.5mbps upload. When it stopped it was 12msping, 64.07 mbps download and 19.55mbps upload. Its a right pain as I need to do my work but as soon as I switch the laptop on it drops. Any advice? Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Fibre to the door

Do you have FTTC (broadband cable plugs into telephone wall socket), or Full Fibre FTTP (There will be an Openreach ONT box screwed to the wall)?

What hub are you currently using?  eg. Hub Two?

What broadband service and hub did you previously use, and were you with a different ISP ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kazzachick
Hooked

Hi sorry for the late reply

Its FTTP and using the Hub Two. Previously with PlusNet with the same hub and FTTC, hence the confusion as I thought it was supposed to be better. Driving me crazy! Thanks

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Are you testing with wifi or can you make connection direct to the router via an ethernet cable? You must eliminate wifi as a starting point. I'm using Hub Two with FTTP 80/20 package and have a steady 75/20 service over ethernet, drops to 40/14 or so over wifi.

Mike 

kazzachick
Hooked

No its over wifi, his xbox is upstairs just wondering to order a ethernet cable to run upstairs and see if it makes a difference

kazzachick
Hooked

Ethernet cable has made no difference with it still buffering when I am working. Any ideas?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Some suggestions:

When no one is using the internet connection, can you run a speedtest.net test over ethernet and report the results including the ping time.  

Your original post quoted 12ms ping and 64 Mbps download speed which looks a little bit 'off' to me for a 80/20 mbps FTTP connection.

Run this speed test over ethernet and wifi.  What buffer bloat grades are returned?

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest 

Log into the hub 2 and enable 'ping'. I think it is in the 'Firewall' menu section.

Then set up a BQM graph to monitor the latency (lag) and/or any signs of packet loss over next 24 hours.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality 

In theory, the traffic management in the Hub Two should operate the same whether it is using FTTC or FTTP.....

Only other suggestion is to temporarily replace the hub two with a third party wifi router to see if it makes any difference.  Ideally a router which allows you to tinker with QoS/traffic management/gaming mode.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-