cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre optic availability

StephenF
Grafter

Fibre optic availability

Hi i would just like to ask if fibre optic broadband will be available in withernsea and when? KC are offering withernsea fibre optic installation and so i just wondered if plusnet was offering the same thing. The checker says it is not available yet, i am aware of this but is it going to be available on the 19th of april?
Thanks a lot
-Steve
6 REPLIES 6
phil4
Grafter

Re: Fibre optic availability

I've found the easiest way to find this is to go to BT's infinity site and check there with your phone number.  If there is a planned date, it will tell you. If no plans, likewise.
That said I've seen nothing to suggest any fibre will be actived between now and the 19th April.  I think most activations are end of June and sept.
StephenF
Grafter

thanks bud
check out the front page of plusnets website  Roll_eyes
phil4
Grafter

Yep, I've seen that.
I think it's Plusnets way of making it really simple for people.
In truth there are two parts needed for a plusnet fibre product:
1) A BT line with FTTC on it.  This is controlled, decided and installed by BT.
2) A Plusnet product providing you with email, bandwidth etc.
Plusnet won't sell you their product until the 19th April, and BT are on a completely seperate timeline. 
It's basically like the good old days when ADSL first arrived, and most of us were still on dialup.  We all had to wait for our exchange to be enabled before we could go ADSL.
The BT checker I mentioned is on this page: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017&s_cid=con_FURL_...
That will mirror Plusnet's checker, except it should give you an estimated go-live date in the future if it's planned for you.
phil4
Grafter

The other bit you may find useful on the BT Site is this:
Armley, Beauchief, Broomhill, Calder Valley, Castleford, Dronfield, Garforth, Guiseley, Halifax, Harrogate, Headingley, Lofthouse Gate, Low Moor, Morley, Mosborough, Pontefract, Pudsey, Ranmoor, Rothwell West Yorkshire, Shipley
31ST MAR 2011
York
30TH SEP 2011
Cullingworth, Haworth, Holmfirth
31ST DEC 2011
Dinnington, Moortown, Sandal
31ST MAR 2012
Elland, Maltby
If your exchange is any of those, it gives you a good idea.  If it's not in that list, it may not happen at all, but best check with the checker against your phone number.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

even then it is not certain, PN say I will get FTTC next month, but my cabinet has had it for the last 6 months, stood and watched the Openreach guys wiring up their first house at 40M
phil4
Grafter

You are right it's not guaranteed.
Plusnet rely on BT to do the FTTC bit, and it's BTs information that is incorrect.  My understanding is that Plusnet, regardless of how wrong BT are, can't plan an order unless BT think they're ready.
My cabinet to my knowledge was finished before Christmas but not turned on until April.  I've no idea why that might be, but it is what it is.