cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Netgear router and plugs connecting to other equipment via elec sockets

Alfred
Dabbler

Fibre Netgear router and plugs connecting to other equipment via elec sockets

I am about to get fibre installed- upgradingfrom adsl2- I am a long way from Exchange and currently only get 3mbps.
I am currently using plugs to connect from router via electricity sockets connected to Thomson router, Will they still work he same way on Fibre with the netgear supplied router from plus net?
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Fibre Netgear router and plugs connecting to other equipment via elec sockets

Yes they will do.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fibre Netgear router and plugs connecting to other equipment via elec sockets

I think you could also site the router away from the modem if that helps:
Master socket - Modem - Homeplug --- Homeplug - Router - PCs
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alfred
Dabbler

Thanks for that info,
Does it matter if mastersocket is in a cupboard with either router or modem? or should t just be master socket and plug there- or should I get everything out of cupboard, which gets quite warm?
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Modem and router can get a bit hot so having them in a warm cupboard is basically not a good idea - how warm is the cupboard
Alfred
Dabbler

The cupboard has some hot water pipes in it from central heating boiler- I think the equipment gets a bit overheated but all working quite well on adsl2. I am as far from the exchange as you can be (about 3.5 miles) and I am getting speeds of about 3mbps until next Monday when I switch to fibre hopefully . Then according to BT infinity my speeds should increase to about 40 0r 49mbps. So I should notice a considerable difference. Will BT open reach move the mastersocket?. It is in a different room from my computer- but I would really like them in the same room! However, mixture of plugs-via electricity and ethernet to router and wi fi to other equipment should be ok as now.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think we all assumed the cupboard got quite warm because of lack of ventilation, not because it contained central heating pipes. I would most definitely not put the router or modem in there. You might get away with it, but if you don't you'll be in a mess so I don't think it's worth the risk!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)