Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Entry Point to Premises

mkpott
Hooked

Fibre Entry Point to Premises

Hi
I am due to have external cabling work done on 14/4 prior to FTTP connection.  At the moment my master socket for BT is in the diagonally opposite corner of the house from my router,which runs from an extension socket.
Does the fibre need to enter the house at the same point as the BT line or can it enter anywhere.  If it has to go through the BT line entry point then I need to move a shed. If it can enter anywhere, do I need to discuss this with someone first or can I just talk to the engineer when he arrives?
Thanks
Alan
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre Entry Point to Premises

Hi Alan,
That'll be fine, so long as you don't mind him drilling a new hole.
Jojo Smiley
mkpott
Hooked

Hi Jojo
Great - drilling isn't a problem.
What if the router is on the first floor???
Alan
Vip3r
Grafter

Quote from: mkpott
... Does the fibre need to enter the house at the same point as the BT line or can it enter anywhere.  If it has to go through the BT line entry point then I need to move a shed....

Hi Alan,
I have not had FTTP installed myself, but I believe that the fibre will be connected from a point on the road to your house using the existing ducting used for your current line, so you might still have to move the shed so the engineer can feed the fibre through, even if they then run it around the outside of your house to your preferred location..
Regards
Dave.
mkpott
Hooked

Thanks Dave
I may just move it anyway.  I won't be too much of a problem and I would hate for them to arrive and then say they can't do it.
Rgds
Alan
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mkpott,
AFAIK the engineer will install an internal wire of up to 30m long to position the socket wherever necessary.
Jojo Smiley
mkpott
Hooked

Thanks Jojo
I'll look to have a couple of options if I can't get it exactly where I want it.  I suppose if it's not next to the desktop I can always use a longer ethernet cable.
Rgds
Alan