cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP trial WiFi speeds

Brooks100

FTTP trial WiFi speeds

Hi , we were lucky enough to be able to join the FTTP trial after many years of very slow adsl 1 being in a very rural community, and have a teenager who spends a lot of time online. We have HUB One, but while we have some good speeds(38 mg) at times it is so slow that We have to resort to 4g connection on the phones to get a page to load. I rang helpline and the man I spoke to was next to useless as he told me to plug the router into the master socket ( it comes straight through the wall) or move the cable from WAN socket to DSL( cable too big it won’t fit). We run iPads and phones, we have tried a wired connection and seems stable enough so seems to be a WiFi issue. We have a TP link WiFi extender upstairs. I have done a bit of research and apparently the BT smart hub 6 is better for WiFi signal. Every one I have found on eBay doesn’t have the red WAN socket ( apart from 1 that says it does but won’t work on plusnet FTTP) I have tried changing channel several times on router so not really sure where to go next, so any help would be gratefully received. Apologies for long post
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: FTTP trial WiFi speeds

Moderators Note.
Moved to FTTP trial from Fibre
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Brooks100

The FTTP trial is not integrated into PlusNet back office systems so phone and live chat staff tend to know very little if anything about the subject. This forum (Fibre to the Premises) is the best place for support. FTTP trained members of staff lurk on here.

You've already indicated that you've checked speeds using a wired connection and are happy so it is a WiFi problem. These I gather can be a nightmare to sort out. PlusNet have the following support page

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

One thing to note is as your router connects to the ONT by Ethernet cable you can have your router anywhere that's convenient (so long as you're happy with the cable run!!!).

I gather that the Hub One has been has been known to not work well with Apple products. You might want to look at purchasing a different router (other than the HH6) but finding one that works for your circumstances could be hit or miss.

Brian

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've passed feedback on regarding the incorrect advice given

Let us know how you get on following the advice above

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The Hub One does work OK with Apple products as long as the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels are not synced.

@Brooks100

Try separating the two bands see here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587... then try each band in turn.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Brooks100

Thank for all your replies, i have seperated the 2.4 and 5 and at the moment things do appear to be better. We have used the 5ghz for the apple products and we dont seem to have any drop out , sometimes may be a bit slow to load but not that often. I have a happier teenager now !