cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP swap over

cbcadmin
Grafter

FTTP swap over

I am transferring to Plusnet FTTP from Vodafone FTTP.

I understood that an engineer does not visit the property in such situations. However I have just been told by an M.J. Quinn area manager this is not the case. With fibre an enginner will have to visit the property.

This is probably a daft question but does Plusnet get any say in who visits? I assume they just ring Openreach and Openreach contact the cheapest contractor for the area. This is obviously what happened withe initial swap from copper to fibre as it looks as if a drunk installed it!

https://thumbsnap.com/N5yPbrSb

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: FTTP swap over

This is probably a daft question but does Plusnet get any say in who visits? I assume they just ring Openreach and Openreach contact the cheapest contractor for the area.

Plusnet just place an order (electronically) with OR to supply FTTP. Its up to OR who they use to perform the installation.

I understood that an engineer does not visit the property in such situations. However I have just been told by an M.J. Quinn area manager this is not the case. With fibre an enginner will have to visit the property.

You are correct, the Quinn manager is not! If an Openreach ONT exists, then no engineer is required, its just a remote activation.

However, there seems to be some issues with the automated ordering system in that it initially determines that no engineer is required then subsequently specifies an engineer IS required. It seems to require that the automated order is cancelled and a manual one placed for remote activation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbcadmin
Grafter

God. it sounds if I am in for more “fun” due to flakey systems. Sad

Is there anyway to get an engineer to visit as presumably it makes no odds to Plusnet.

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

Do Vodaphone use the BT infrastructure ? Round here they use Cityfibre. If not then a whole new installation will be neccessary.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

@Champnet AFAIK they use whichever is available

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbcadmin
Grafter

Mine is certainly BT, but I understand they can use others.

cbcadmin
Grafter

It's BT or nothing round here. Wink