cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP recently installed but still only 5Mb/s download speed.

briank
Grafter

FTTP recently installed but still only 5Mb/s download speed.

FTTP was installed yesterday (29/07/2016) but I'm still only getting ADSL twisted pair download speeds (around 5Mb/s). Will this change automatically or do I need to ask Plusnet to alter my config/account?

14 REPLIES 14
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: FTTP recently installed but still only 5Mb/s download speed.

Ask them unless you're happy to wait Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
briank
Grafter

I tried to phone them but the call waiting time is currently 15min !

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Ah, call waiting times, the bane of my life. The first time I phoned plusnet they had me on hold for over thirty minutes, and the second time I was cut off after twenty - and had to phone back when yes you've guessed it,  back on hold again. Grrrr. Angry

I now use their chat line as the waiting times are a lot less plus, you have a record of the conversation. At nearly seventy years old my life is to short and valuable to be kept hanging on the phone! Wink

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
briank
Grafter

I tried that too.

I was eventually told that as FTTP is only offered on a 'trial' basis (even though it's been available for years), I wouldn't get any support until the team get back on Monday. Meanwhile, the download speed measured this morning has dropped to 4.3 Mb/s. This is worse than when I was using ADSL.

SpendLessTime
Hero

That is disgusting support. Angry

All they had to do was set the Plusnet Line Speed to 80Mbps (assuming you are on the 80/20 package).

Absolutely nothing to do with FTTP as a trial, this is basic Plusnet settings.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good morning Smiley

I'm really sorry you weren't able to get this resolved over the phone, whilst the number of FTTP trained staff is low this matter could have been resolved.

Are you ok to PM me your username to your account and I'll get this sorted later today as soon as I can Smiley

briank
Grafter

When I tried power cycling the hub yesterday it made no difference to the download speed.

Today I tried disconnecting the WAN lead from the hub while it was still powered up. After the LED changed from blue to orange, I reconnected the cable.

Now I'm getting around 19.8 Mb/s download speed, which is better but still not the 40Mb/s I was expecting.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@SpendLessTime wrote:

That is disgusting support. Angry

All they had to do was set the Plusnet Line Speed to 80Mbps (assuming you are on the 80/20 package).

Absolutely nothing to do with FTTP as a trial, this is basic Plusnet settings.

While I do agree that this is poor support, and I am far from happy to hear how this matter has been dealt with, it's not always as simply as just changing a speed profile on FTTP as the account won't always allow you to simply change the package to an FTTC option if only ADSL/FTTP is available in the area.

I don't really see this as a valid excuse though. I'll be passing feedback on regarding this.

@briank - Looking at your account, I can see @Darkfire updated the account for you at around 7pm yesterday evening. I hope you're now up to speed on your FTTP connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
briank
Grafter

The problem was sorted out on Sunday thanks to Darkfire who happened to read my initial posting. It sounds like it was a simple task that Plusnet support should have been able to sort out when I first contacted them on Saturday.

As I already mentioned to Darkfire, I found a number of similar threads from other existing customers who had the same problem when they first switched to fibre from ADSL.

At no stage did anyone inform me that I needed to contact Plusnet after the installation had been carried out in order to arrange for the speed config to be updated. To me this suggests a change in process is required - either to trigger this update automatically or at least inform users that they need to contact Plusnet Support to get this to happen.

The support staff who man the phone / chatline should have been able to fix my issue on the spot without simply saying 'FTTP issues are dealt with by a separate team who won't be around until Monday'.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@briank wrote:

At no stage did anyone inform me that I needed to contact Plusnet after the installation had been carried out in order to arrange for the speed config to be updated

I wouldn't necessarily say you needed to contact us to get the speeds updated. It would have certainly been picked up by the people that work the FTTP trials.

Generally upon appointment confirmation, there is a section of text that advises the following:

When the engineer completes the work you may not experience fibre speeds straight away. This is because we need to manually adjust your speed profile when the order completes, so the change should be effective within 48 hours. Please be patient with us whilst we do this for you.

I'm not sure why this wasn't sent to you and I do apologise for this.

@briank wrote:

It sounds like it was a simple task that Plusnet support should have been able to sort out when I first contacted them on Saturday.

There aren't many advisors that work with FTTP regularly, so I understand them not knowing the process off the top of their head, however they should always be able to ask the question if it arises.

As mentioned, I've passed feedback on regarding this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
briank
Grafter

Today I measured 30.7 Mb/s download, 1.7 Mb/s upload.

I expected closer to 40 + 2.

Is this normal?

briank
Grafter

It seems to vary quite a bit. I just measured 35 + 1.7.

libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

For July I got:

32.70Mbps Average
23.34Mbps Min 21:00, 26/07/16
35.49Mbps Max 19:00, 31/07/16

1.90Mbps Average
1.83Mbps Min 09:00, 21/07/16
2.05Mbps Max 09:00, 13/07/16

Wired connection to the modem but via a faceplate that I'm not 100% convinced is all that...

SpendLessTime
Hero

@briank

I'm on the FTTP 80/20 and see from the BTW test 74/19 on average, from Thinkbroadband 75/20. All tests wired from PC to router. Also I have a static IP assigned.

What I find makes a difference to speed (and congestion) is the Plusnet gateway that I log into. I log the gateway against speed tests and try to find a stable one (for my definition of stable which is a good Thinkbroadband speed test with both x1 and x6 speed test graph lines the same AND no congestion in the evening peak time)

http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes shows the gateway and the IP address of the machine in that gateway through which you connect. And yes, same gateway but different IP address can cause speed issues.

By logging this data and checking daily for changes, I've found what works for me.

So when the gateway is changed by Openreach/Plusnet works, I know what I want to move to.

Changing gateways is as simple as clicking disconnect in the route, waiting a few minutes and then click connect (at least for static IP users as we are not on the new Plusnet network using the "-IR" named gateways.