Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - progress of local install...?

dbrb22
Dabbler

FTTP - progress of local install...?

Hi,

Back in early October, Openreach were at work in the streets around me. Every pole now has a fibre distribution point at the top (see attached), and every few poles, there is a manifold and a big coil of fibre half way up the pole. However, since then nothing seems to have happened....

The Openreach checker shows FTTP as unavailable  for all nearby houses - does the presence of the hardware on the poles suggest this might soon be changing? Seems odd the work started then (apparently) stopped...unless it is done by different teams... ?

Cheers!

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: FTTP - progress of local install...?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL to FTTP trial 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Can't comment too much on an overhead install as mine is underground. However, the network install is done by a separate team from house installs.

A couple of months is not a lot of time in the scheme of things. It could well they're waiting for further work to be done down the line (perhaps due to problems discovered during work). Did you happen to see any engineer plug a computer into the Distribution Point - this is the final bit of testing to ensure the circuit works.

You just need to keep checking on a regular basis. One day it should show the promised land!!! Note that the PlusNet Trial is no longer accepting applicants and they do not yet have a commercial service.

Brian

krusty
Rising Star

OR and their subcontractors, do stuff in batches, so one team will do the duct clearing, another blowing the fibre, etc etc. Which works very well for large scale operations such as FTTP. The down side is that that you will get delays as some teams can get behind compared to other other teams.

Add in fibre first cities, along with voda, hypertronic etc you have pressure in the system for trained paws to do the various jobs.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry we're not able to enlighten you any further on the timescales but the DP and the extra cabling being added does sound like FTTP is being rolled out. All I could advise is to keep checking https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
krusty
Rising Star

@dbrb22 i would actually add it would be worth checking your county council's website for faster broadband, it should give an indication of any upgrades to your postcode

dbrb22
Dabbler

Thanks all. I've set up an automatic watch on the OpenReach wholesale checker, so I should get a notification when they finish the works 🙂 

Ben

bmc
Hero

@dbrb22

The OpenReach "When can I get Fibre" should at least confirm it's planned for your house.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre?utm_source=Openreac...

If it happens in the near future you'll have a choice to make. Whether to hold off and see if PlusNet introduce a FTTP service sometime this year or jump ship to a new provider. There are few about at the minute.

Brian

dbrb22
Dabbler

Thanks - like the wholesale checker, that just confirms that fttc is available.

Tbh fttc is fine, but given someone has gone to the effort of putting the hardware infrastructure up all the nearby poles to allow for fttp, i wondered if the churches would mention it 🙂
bmc
Hero

@dbrb22

If you get a decent FTTC speed then it's highly unusual to get a FTTP service installed (though I guess it's not unknown). Priority tends to be for areas with poorer speeds.

Although the linked website merely states that FTTC is available is there anything that mentions FTTP coming?

Does the pole that services your house have a Distribution Point attached to it?

On the plus side of things if you get a decent FTTC speed then you have the option of holding off and see what develops over the year in the way of FTTP products.

Brian

dbrb22
Dabbler

Yes - I'm really not unhappy with my FTTC service at all. The only odd thing is that every pole in the nearby area has has a 12 port distribution point screwed to the top. That will have cost someone some time and money to install....so just wondering who, and for use when 🙂

I guess I'll just wait and see!

bmc
Hero

@dbrb22

A 12 port DP suggests each pole supplies between 9 & 12 houses. My house is served by a 8 port DP in the nearby chamber which serves 7 properties.

Do let us know how things work out.

Brian