cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP overhead fibre brought down when pole damaged in RTA

PreGP
Rising Star

FTTP overhead fibre brought down when pole damaged in RTA

I’ve notified Openreach about the pole being damaged when a car hit it at speed last night and our overhead fibre line was brought down. Is there anything that a Plusnet need to do or do I simply wait for the Openreach engineers to come and fix the pole and fibre line? They told us to notify our broadband provider but as Plusnet customer services historically know little about FTTP I thought I should report it here....
9 REPLIES 9
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP overhead fibre brought down when pole damaged in RTA

Probably the best plan @PreGP 

I assume Openreach will be the ones fixing it.

I also assume only limited staff can offer support for FTTP, as it is a trial and not all staff will be trained for it. It'll need someone who is to answer your query. It is best informing them though too and hopefully they will pick up on this thread.

I could be wrong, as I usually am 😃

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@PreGP 

Assuming OpenReach will fix the pole soon there's not much PlusNet can do.

As you say phone staff tend not to know much about FTTP so this is the best place to mention it. Perhaps @Gandalf  is about.

Brian

PreGP
Rising Star

According to Ofcom, BT (and therefore I’m assuming Plusnet) has signed up for an automatic compensation scheme for customers who lose broadband service. I think it’s something like £8 for each day of loss of broadband after 48 hrs but I may be wrong. It’s been 5 days already without any service so hopefully I’ll be entitled to something. Anyone had any experience of Plusnet paying compensation?
edwh
Rising Star

If you’ve lost service, have you reported a fault? I’ve experience of Openreach not repairing infrastructure damage unless a fault has been reported against a lost service. Try http://faults.plus.net/

PreGP
Rising Star

The fault was reported to openreach within 24 hours of the accident and they’ve come out to make the (now leaning) pole safe but say it may be a couple of weeks before the pole is replaced and the overhead fibre line is restored. Sad
edwh
Rising Star

If you have lost service I would still put in a fault report to Plusnet. Your contract for service is with them and not Openreach.

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @PreGP

Thanks for your time today. As discussed, fault was raised and passed to openreach. You can view and answer to ticket on your account here.

PreGP
Rising Star

Well it's now been 5 weeks since I've been without broadband since some kids ran into the telephone pole outside my house. The pole was replaced by Openreach after 2 weeks but I was then told the fibre had snapped in two places and thus needed to be partly re-laid underground as a result of the pole damage! I've reported the incident to both Openreach and Plusnet within 24 hours of the damage and to be fair and still getting regular messages from Plusnet apologising for the delay in restoration of service but apparently Plusnet are NOT signed up to Ofcom's automatic compensation scheme that would have guaranteed compensation of £8 per day for every day I was without service after 48 hours even though their parent company BT signed up to the same scheme in 2019 (Sky, Talktalk, Zen Telecom, Virgin and Hyperoptic all signed up in 2019).

I think all Plusnet customers should be made aware of the fact that Plusnet are the only major UK telecom company providing broadband not signed up to this scheme and should put pressure on their board to do so immediately.

Oh, and of course, Plusnet are still taking £25 per month from my account by direct debit for this lack of provision of any broadband service.....They really do "Do You Proud" don't they?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@PreGP 

You'll probably receive a "gesture of goodwill" from PlusNet once things are sorted - just make sure you ask.

Brian