cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP on Demand Trial - Watford, Cardiff Stadium, Basingstoke, Manchester Central

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

FTTP on Demand Trial - Watford, Cardiff Stadium, Basingstoke, Manchester Central

Hi all,
We're going to have a couple of spaces available on the FTTP on Demand trial available at the following exchanges this month:
Watford
Cardiff Stadium
Basingstoke
Manchester Central
There's an FAQ here about the trial
http://community.plus.net/fibre-to-the-premises-fttp-on-demand-faq/
If you're already on FTTC at one of those exchanges, please let me know here if you'd like to take part and we can add you to our reserve list for when the trial starts in these areas.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
14 REPLIES 14
DougMa
Grafter

Re: FTTP on Demand Trial - Watford, Cardiff Stadium, Basingstoke, Manchester Central

Hi Dave,
I'm in Basingstoke and I've been patiently waiting for BT to power my FTTC cabinet since it was installed 18 months ago!  My neighbours won't allow them to excavate their garden to get access to the power supply  Cry
My understanding of fibre-on-demand is that it does not actually require the FTTC cabinet for the connection, only that a fibre aggregation point is within range of the property. If that is the case given that every cabinet surrounding me has a DSLAM and my home is directly connected to the BT ducting could I be eligible for the trial?
I'd be forever grateful if you could push for me to be included; even if it meant me spending a few hundred pounds for installation.  My 1.4Mbps connection is just not enough!
Many thanks,
Doug.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTP on Demand Trial - Watford, Cardiff Stadium, Basingstoke, Manchester Central

Are there any plans for FTTP on demand at my exchange Worle  SSWOR ?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Doug - thanks, I'll check but at the moment I think it needs the cabinet to be enabled as the FTTP on Demand trial shares the same infrastructure between exchange and cab as FTTC.
jamesanstee - not at the moment, but ultimately FTTP on Demand will be available across most, if not all, FTTC enabled areas.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
DougMa
Grafter

Thanks Dave, I'd be interested to hear since one use-case of fibre-on-demand could be to provide superfast service to a property physically close to a fibre aggregation node but connected to a PCP that doesn't offer FTTC (or an exchange only line).
I also heard good news this morning from a contact at Openreach about my cabinet (Basingstoke P66):
"The work to connect the power is scheduled to commence on the 4 February.  As long as no difficulties get in the way, once completed we will finish the build, test and commission and bring into service".
Either way, I'll be so happy to go from 1.7Mbps (I got a little extra these last two weeks!) to the predicated 32.5Mbps; going from 32.5Mbps to 330Mbps would be largely academic at this point in time, although I'd always welcome improvements to latency 🙂
Doug
tomorrowman
Dabbler

Hi,
Don't know if its too late but I am a plusnet FTTC based in Basingstoke and would like to participate in the FTTP trial. Was a FTTC tester previously and have read T&C's.
Regards
Shane
tomorrowman
Dabbler

Take it I missed the trial then  Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are any domestic customers really going to subscribe to FTTPoD, if the costs are anywhere like those quoted in this article ? - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/01/bt-openreach-confirm-uk-isp-pricing-for-fttp-on-demand-...
or is this trial for something different ?
DougMa
Grafter

Hi Dave,
My cabinet just went live today!  This is PCP 66 in Basingstoke, now offering FTTC at 32.5Mbps.
Please let me know if you'd like me to participate in the trial.
Thanks,
Doug.
Gwydion
Dabbler

Any chance that there's a spot still free for FTTP from the Cardiff Stadium spaces? Currently on FTTC from there.
Edit: Now read up that FTTC seems to exclude FTTP, but the Superfast Cymru site seems to say otherwise (well, about FTTPoD, anyway). Tried reading the 35 pages in the main FTTP trial thread, but got lost. Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere.
Edit of the edit: And now I feel like a fool. The FAQ specifically includes me! Yay!
DougMa
Grafter

After 18 months without power, my FTTC cabinet is live!  I've ordered unlimited FTTC (estimated 32.5Mbps) with installation booked for March 28.  Happy to be considered for the FTTPoD trial if you need anyone in Basingstoke.
Doug.
kianhatchman

Good afternoon!
I'm also on FTTC in Basingstoke - get around 65meg down and 18 up - would be only too willing to be on an FTTP trial, so would be great to know if this is still/was ever open? 🙂
Thanks in advance.
Kian.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately our free allocation of installs ran out in January so if anyone else wants to take part in the FTTP on Demand trial it's going to be a bit pricey. The price of any install is going to vary depending on the amount of work but the minimum cost would be £500 with the likely average being about £1500 and the maximum several thousand. As such I can imagine that a lot of people will be put off but in the event anyone is interested or wants more detail then drop me a PM please and I'll let you know.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
ncf355
Grafter

Quote from: jamesanstee
Are there any plans for FTTP on demand at my exchange Worle   SSWOR ?

LOL!
I'd like to know that one as well James, I'm in West Wick
(FTTC went live at the Cab Friday - yaaaaaaay!)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FTTC went live at the Cab Friday

Good for you, I've been eagerly watching engineers getting the fibre cabs ready in my area Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team