cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP may be coming to my area, but...

HojoNorem
Grafter

FTTP may be coming to my area, but...

According to the info I have at the moment, only BT, Zen and AAISP are supposed to be taking orders.

I don't want to go with BT, just because...

Zen don't have any bundled web hosting (their cheapest hosting option, while cheep isn't worth it for my little, infrequently updated website) - Probably my go to choice if PN can't do anything.

and AAISP... well, my pockets aren't lined with gold for the projected increased data usage from my three person household.

On the other hand, I've peen a customer of PlusNet since ADSL first became available for my area... when there was no ADSLMax and PlusNet only sold internet access.

Apparently, 'Ultra Fast' FTTP is supposed to become available to my area (CA10 2L*, Thorpe to Margate Cross area of TIrril, Penrith) at the end of the month.  I'm not holding my breath, but if it does happen then I'd really like to stay with PlusNet.

12 REPLIES 12
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: FTTP may be coming to my area, but...

I'd recommend keeping an eye on http://dslchecker.bt.com for WBC FTTP.

Once this shows as available, if you sign up to the FTTP trial at http://trials.plus.net we'll be able to look in to getting you on FTTP, however we currently only offer speeds of 40/2 or 80/20 in line with our FTTC packages.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Worth pointing out that unlike FTTC where the speeds are "up to" 40/2 or 80/20 and in practice even on good lines don't reach those figures, on FTTP those will be the actual figures.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HojoNorem
Grafter

It looks like something is happening.  Earlier in the week some roadworks set up just by the pole my dropcable comes from.  I took a closer look and saw a bunch of manhole covers with BT stamped on them.  They had also dug (and now covered) a trench from the base of the pole to a nearby manhole.

I've been keeping an eye on the dslchecker.  It hasn't changed until tonight where it now says that WBC ADSL2+ and WBC ADSL2+ Annex M is now available.  The checker only showed ADSL Max and fixed rate this morning.

My exchange was FTTC enabled earlier in the year for those who live closer to it, but it wasn't upgraded to ADSL2 at the same time.  Could the ADSL2 signify an impending appearance of FTTP?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sorry to disappoint you but an exchange equipment upgrade from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ is nothing to do with FTTP. The roadworks sound promising though, look out for fibre cable being fitted to the poles.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

The roadworks sound promising though, look out for fibre cable being fitted to the poles.

I used to regularly check https://roadworks.org/ to see what the roadworks were for and spotted work BT relating to DSLAMs etc. close to the time my cabinet got upgraded to FTTC.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HojoNorem
Grafter

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available -- --

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 1.5 to 5.5 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 1.5 to 5.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

Could this be it?  I've got a tab open to the FTTP trial page right now.  One thing is worrying me though:

"Conditions for participation in the FTTP Trial

The FTTP Trial is only open to existing Plusnet Customers who are subscribed to a Plusnet Fibre Broadband product."

Does this mean I need to be on FTTC first?  My exchange is FTTC enabled but I 'm too far away for it to be available.  I'm still stuck on ADSLMax.  I haven't bothered upgrading to ADSL2 because that only became available a few weeks ago.

Sod it, I'm going to try applying anyway.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The wording on the trial conditions is wrong, you can apply for the trial if you are an existing ADSL customer. If you had a fibre product (FTTC) it would be very unlikely that FTTP would be available, It does happen in a few areas but quite rare. Best of luck with your FTTP, it has been known for BT openreach to take quite a long time to carry out the installation!

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

... it has been known for BT openreach to take quite a long time to carry out the installation!

Not disputing that, but in my case it was their subcontractor 'M J Quinn' who failed to turn up for the first stage install, then turned up at around 8:00am on the day which I said I wouldn't be available.  As it happens, due to their obvious unreliability, I'd hazarded a guess that might happen and cancelled my other arrangements.

Fortunately BTOR turned up on the allocated day for the second stage install.

HojoNorem
Grafter

Things are moving along.  I got a reply from PN to my request on Friday night.  Following their instructions when I applied, I stated that the second part of the installation should be booked for a Wednesday, as that's my normal day off.  The reply I got from PN stated that they had provisionally booked the appointment for a Monday.  I replied to the ticket as pretty much as soon as I received it.  It's been six days (almost to the hour) since then and I haven't had a reply back from PN.

That isn't all.

On Monday I received a text from Openreach saying "Confirmation of Openreach Engineering Visit for your SuperFast Broadband Order: 24/11/16".  I thought that was for the first part of the installation.

On Tuesday Openreach turned up with absolutely no warning and preceded with what I can only assume is the first part of the installation.  I now have a brand spanking new combined copper/fibre dropcable and that little box they fit to the outside wall.

Now today (Thursday) is done with now and I didn't hear one peep from OR.  I guess it was to much to hope that the text I got was for the second part of the install.  Still, it would be nice if I could get some kind of reply from PN about the second part booking as I don't think I'm going to be able to manage to swap my day off over to the Monday.

On a different topic, PN mentioned that they would be sending me a new router.  Do I have to use it?  The FTTP FAQ and the FTTP T&Cs seem to contradict each other.  I know that OR will be fitting the equivalent of a fibre modem and the FAQ says that I need a pppoe compatible router (1.6Ghz dual core atom running x86 OpenWRT... no problem here), implying to a degree that I can use my own equipment but the T&Cs say I MUST use the supplied equipment.

I don't know which one to believe.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I'm on the trial too and use my own kit. Most do.

I do have the Plusnet router somewhere in a box in case of faults so that I can change to their device to disprove the fault is in my kit.  (and that has been necessary too). I also used their device for a few months after the installation again to prove the system worked okay. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HojoNorem
Grafter

The last chapter in my journey to FTTP...

Got a new provisional install date Monday last week for the 14th (a Wednesday, my normal day off work).

OR turn up this morning (6th, Tuesday) with absolutely no warning, AGAIN!  Luckily somebody was at home and phoned me while I was at work.  They installed their box and left.  I got a SMS from PN saying that the order was now complete.  I get home from work, see that they had unplugged my ADSL modem from the mains but didn't disconnect it from the ethernet socket leading to my router.  They were nice enough to leave a long enough network cable to connect their new box into the router socket.

The house internet connection came back to life within seconds!  Didn't even need to reboot the router or change any login details.  Speed was only ~4/0.3Mb/s though...  Then I remembered that I needed to update the router's SQM settings.  Did that and now my connection is screaming!  I only guestimated my settings, so I'll do some proper tweaking tomorrow but I was getting TBB test results in the high 60s/low 70s for the down and high teens for the up.

Everybody in the house is very happy now.  Steam going at full tilt... downloading from GoG at full tilt and YouTube still defaults to HD! ^_^

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Enjoy the speed. You will quickly forget about how fast it is and just get used to it. Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT