cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP large speed variations - is there an issue?

FIXED
SJP
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

FTTP large speed variations - is there an issue?

Hi,

After my FTTP installation on the 5/2/18 the initial speed tests showed lo 70Mbps download and low 20Mbs upload.  Perfect!

After a while I noticed some website loading issues and even iPlayer buffering.  Re-running speed tests on the 22/2/18 I discovered I was getting mid 30s Download, which later upped to 60, then 70Mbs.

On the 23/2/18 I saw download speeds drop to 28, 31,51, 31Mbs

I currently seem to have 56 Mbs download.  Throughout the upload speed has been consistently 20+Mbs.

Can someone please look into this?

Cheers

Steve

26 REPLIES 26
SJP
Dabbler

Re: FTTP large speed variations - is there an issue?

Only 35 Mbs today... half the initial speed Sad

What's going on? 

Pliny_The_Elder
Hooked

Are you using the Plusnet Hub One (A rebranded BT Home Hub 5)? If so this could be the issue with your connection. I found with mine the speed would drop down after about 3 days to roughly half the download (35Mbps) and rebooting the router would fix the issue - this was especially a problem with Wi-Fi, the wired part would eventually give up too.

If this is the issue you can resolve it by the following:

1) Reboot the Hub One at least every other day - This is the free option!

2) Replace the Hub Once with a BT Ultrafast Smart Hub - this is the WAN compatible version of the Standard BT Smart Hub - as the regular one does not have the red WAN socket on, and will not work. I picked mine up off eBay for £25 - this was brand new in box. I can confirm that the one I have works for plusnet fttp trial - but ymmv. On ebay they are variably described as WAN, FTTP or Ultrafast, you need to look at a photo of the rear of the router to determine if it has the red wan socket or not - or ask the seller the question, sometimes the seller will just describe it as a regular BT Smart Hub. I noted they come up pretty regularly and you can get one for under £30 if you hold out and get a little lucky! You need to put your Plusnet username and password in to get it working - it won't just work out of the box, but this is very easy to do. This is the cheap option!

3) Buy a non ISP supplied router to replace the Hub One - to get a decent spec one I would say you're looking at £100+

I personally haven't noticed any speed drops if it isn't router related!

SJP
Dabbler

Hmmm... I'm sure that this is just the thing that Plusnet need to know about as part of the trial, if their router is not fit for purpose.

I have to say the speed recovers from time to time and varies depending on which host the speediest uses.  This suggests a network/throttling issue to me, more than router hardware.  I wonder if Plusnet networks people have a view.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Are you testing using wired or wi-fi ?

If wi-fi then there is always the possibility of local interference.

Brian

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

There's no capacity issues reported in your area.

Can you confirm if this is over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SJP
Dabbler

wifi... 75mb download 22mb upload today! ...and I've done precisely nothing.

If it's wifi interference it's very sporadic, furthermore how would we detect this (packet loss? jitter?).  

If it's router hardware (as has been suggested) then we could say the router is not fit for purpose to provide a reliable 70mb connection.  I don't think it's this.

I'm still wondering what Plusnet make of this.  After all, isn't that why there is an fttp trial group, so Plusnet can discover and iron out any potential issues?

David_Haigh
Grafter

@SJP if I was you pop to Maplins and but a new Wan DHCP router. you should be able to get it at cost from them under their current circumstances! and then try that. My preferance is Netgear but t-link are good as well.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'd expect variable performance from wi-fi. Only true test of the actual connection speed to the modem would be over a wired connection. I'm using a device that on paper is better than our Hub One, and on occasion I'll see sub 40mbps results from a wireless connection (I've an 80mbps line).
Nature of the beast.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Pliny_The_Elder
Hooked

I agree Wi-Fi can be variable and wired is the best way to test your line speed. However, my experience with the Hub One (and Home Hub 5) is that they consistently drop in speed over the course of several days, which is immediately remedied by rebooting the router, I have had mine swapped, so I have eliminated my problem being with a specific unit.

After I switched to the BT Smart Hub it remedied the Wi-Fi slowdown I had been experiencing, and the wi-fi was much more stable. I had the same problem when I was on FTTC at a previous house.

Though the OP's issue may not be that, I certainly would test rebooting the Hub One router and retesting speed to see if it immediately goes back up to full speed. If the speed remains low then it may well be a line issue.

David_Haigh
Grafter

Reading these last two posts I am glad I have a Netgear Nighthawk! If I had a HH5 and the service was that bad it would of been lump hammered and binned long ago!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

WiFi is too unpredictable.

My neighbours signal is often stronger than my own!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'd recommend trying a wired connection. If your performance is OK in this way, then the steps in this troubleshooting guide should help: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SJP
Dabbler

There's been quite a few suggestions... From reboot every other day to swap my router... I decided to just monitor matters.  Guess what I found?  Consistent 70+ downloads and 20+ uploads for several days, after doing precisely nothing.  

What this suggests to me is, firstly the issue has gone away; secondly the problem (when there is one) lies within the external network.  I don't know if it is a throughput bottleneck or a traffic throttling issue.  What I can say is, I am currently getting the desired speeds, without any changes to the installed hardware.  

I'll keep monitoring and report back.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Happy to hear your speed is stable.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet