cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP inst today - ADSL down speeds / Upload FTTP speed - not sure if manual adjustment been done

tarquel
Grafter

FTTP inst today - ADSL down speeds / Upload FTTP speed - not sure if manual adjustment been done

Hi there.

Just a little one to say that had a FTTP install this afternoon and all gone well. Chap that did the install said the test he did on it was the best he's seen and such so that sounds great.

Routing seemed to switch later on after he left - presumably after he submitted his work complete sort of thing after the visit - and i've been using it fine so far.

Only one thing is that I've got that with a speedtest result of ~12M down (which was what I had on ADSL) but the upload is nearly 21M (definitely not what i had on ADSL Cheesy was ~0.78M normally).

Had this pretty much as soon as i switched over to the provided Plusnet One Hub router (thought i best use this initially before switching to my own chosen gear for completeness). Restarted it but didnt make any difference.

Called up Plusnet CS and explained in brief that i'd had a FTTP install and what was happening, and lovely lady i spoke to agreed about a "DLM kick" and said she'd put in the request for this whilst i was on the phone, but to give it 3 or so hours and then to do another speedtest. 

I said no worries and that i could restart the router after that to see if there's any change if nothing happens but she said not to do that in case it messes up the DLM kick / profile reset etc.

After that call, I chatted with some peers that deal with the comms in work and they pointed out that FTTP/FTTH doesnt use DLM so that process is probably not going to do anything, and we also found mentions in this lovely forum about a manual adjustment would be needed when going from ADSL to FTTP with plusnet.

So i'm sort of wondering should i be doing nothing and just be a bit more patient? Wink or whether to restart the plusnet router? and possibly the ONT too?

Not sure how to tell if this "Manual Adjustment" has been done by Plusnet or not really is the only snag and probably the catalyst to knowing whether i should just wait until tomorrow or whether to try something in a bit.

I work in IT (infrastructure) so i have a fairly tidy knowledge of ADSL and FTTC (when i had it in the past in a diff property) but but I feel i need the legendary skills of @Gandalf or someone similarly awesome with regards to this particular nugget of FTTP knowledge Wink

Associated tickets for reference are 154490805 (the query following the initial order) and 171071271 (the ticket created by the nice plusnet CS lady today).

Many thanks for reading this essay if you got this far.

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: FTTP inst today - ADSL down speeds / Upload FTTP speed - not sure if manual adjustment been done

You are not the first to have this issue, unfortunately the support staff are not trained on FTTP, apart from a few on here, so yes you will need the likes of @Gandalf to give your profile an update. Avoiding giving them a call, more likely to cause more problems from untrained staff.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: FTTP inst today - ADSL down speeds / Upload FTTP speed - not sure if manual adjustment been done

The speed shown here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required) is the download speed limit and for FTTP is set manually by Plusnet staff (Don't worry about the phone number or exchange if shown as these can be set to dummy number and exchange and have zero effect on your FTTP line)

What you want to see there is 

Current line speed:

80 Mb

Once that is done, you may need to log onto the router and then click disconnect and connect to get the faster download speeds.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Because the FTTP trial is not integrated into the PlusNet back office systems a member of staff has to "flick a switch" manually to change your service from ADSL upload speeds to your chosen product. Once done you then need to re-boot your router.

Send them a message on the ticket you have open for the install.

Brian

tarquel
Grafter

Thanks for the responses and thanks for confirming what i suspected / read on the other threads Smiley

@bmc yeah, I did put an update on both tickets (seems i forgot to mention that in my OP) to outline what's been done and the issue / manual adjustment needed around the same time as this OP last night, but no updates to speak of yet.

Guessing, like with phoning plusnet, there's no real point trying the Plusnet Online chat option either to see if anyone there can do what's needed?

As you've all said, until they do this, nowt i can really do so i'll just have to wait - which i guess is gonna end up being after the weekend so thats a shame but never mind.

Many thanks Smiley

tarquel
Grafter

Just to update...

No change as of yet Sad

I see on another FTTP thread that @Gandalf is out of the office until the weekend now, so just wondering if there's some other member of staff that can do the manual adjustment or poke someone who can? 

@Anonymous or @MatthewWheeler perhaps?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm glad to hear your FTTP order has completed and apologies for the delay in getting your account type changed over appropriately. I can see we've done that now and you should able to achieve speeds of around 76mbps.

Everything working as you'd expect your side?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tarquel
Grafter

@Gandalf So very sorry for not getting back to you until now.

I must also apologise too that I was being a complete and utter numpty with my speed testing lol Eth over Power + Wireless Speedtests, dont always maketh a good test Wink Tho saying that, speed was far better on my own AP over Plusnet's One Hub, but then again, the avg joe probably wouldnt notice the diff anyhoo Cheesy

Still yet to rework the set up to how i like (missus demands we do things on the weekend these days - cant really argue with that lol) so one day, i'll switch out the Plusnet One Hub etc.

Everything seems fine to me thanks, providing the fibre they ran doesnt snap in a strong wind (its not the tightest looking point to point from OR ;))

I dont suppose I can ask you if you could cancel the phone line aspect, now that everything is good? I believe the existing phone contract ran out in Jan, so there shouldnt be any outstanding-ness for me to pay i think. Appreciate that will add £2.50 in addition to the Fibre package, but given the saving of whatever line rental is these days, plus we dont even use the landline, may as well get rid. Was gonna port the number to sipgate but wasnt sure there's much point - given it isnt free etc. Dunno if i need to raise a ticket for this, as would be pretty bad if they cancelled the whole account or something lol

Shout if i need to do anything.

Many thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear your service is working well for you so far. Let us know if you do experience any problems.

With regards to ceasing your phone line if you can reply to this ticket we'll be happy to arrange that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tarquel
Grafter

Hi. again @Gandalf.

Thanks for getting that ticket on the go Smiley

Have just replied to it with a green light.

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @tarquel

Your line should be ceased within a few hours/at most within 24 hours and I've changed your account type appropriately to reflect your broadband only package. Sorry for the numerous e-mails you've received, had to battle the system. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Gandalf wrote:

..., had to battle the system. Smiley

As in "Computer says no"  " @Gandalf says yes!"  Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Don’t let the computer hear you say that. It’ll be on its guard next time. Grin
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet