cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP in MK - what speeds are you getting?

Floyd
Grafter

FTTP in MK - what speeds are you getting?

So, I'm now all FTTP'd up and enjoying superfast broadband. Yay. I did a speed test the moment I was connected and 'only' got 20Mb/s d/l with 14.5Mb/s upload. After some faffing around with ONT and WNRN3500 router hard resets it has gone up to an average of 22Mb/s d/l and a consistant 14Mb/s upload.
The Open reach guy thought I'd see nearer to 90Mb/s and so did I Cry
After reading various threads I contacted PN and got confirmation that my profile is at 92Mb/s so the problem is elsewhere. I've now tried LAN cable from old 'g' wireless laptop to the router and I saw 31Mb/s d/l but less u/l. I plan to try my newest 'n' equiped laptop in LAN cable mode tonight, direct to the router and then to the ONT to see what that does. If this doesn't improve things then I don't know what else to do but get it investigated by PN.
PN fibre team told my wife today that Bradwell Abbey exchange is now oversubscribed and that's why our speeds could be low. I'd except that if all other MK PN FTTP customers were experiencing similar speeds to mine.
So, please post your speedtest.net results here and say how you connect - wireless n laptop to Netgear WNR3500 router etc and roughly where you are in MK (Walnut Tree). Thanks in advance.
36 REPLIES 36
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: FTTP in MK - what speeds are you getting?

Have you done a speed test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ using the FTTP option?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
youngsyp
Grafter

Have you tried power cycling the ONT and router (in that order)?
Location of your router could be causing issues too. I've had DECT phones do nasty things to broadband performance, both wired and wireless.
For what it's worth, the maximum I've seen, connected via ethernet, is 99.25Mb/s with it averaging around 90Mb/s. Upload speeds are very consistent at just over 15Mb/s. I'm in Shenley Lodge.
ETA: I find your profile strange, as mine is set to 20Mb. I thought this was what all FTTP trialists had their profiles set too as the official 'live' FTTP profiles hadn't been created yet?!
Paul
Floyd
Grafter

Strat, I tried that but it said i wasn't on Fibre Grin I think it hadn't caught up yet so I'll give that another go.
Paul, I will cycle the ONT in that order tonight. I'll also make sure that the QoS setting is not interfering.
My job ticket response said 92Mb/s profile but I'm not sure what that means. Undecided
BTW does Facebook restrict upload speeds like Youtube does on download speeds (@ 2.5Mb/s)?
attaruk

Hi
I've just used speedtest.net (I got an error message when I tried the BT one) and got 33MB down and 15MB up.
I'm not an expert, but if I'm getting the standard 15MB upload speed then it suggests to me that everything is configured correctly at "this" end.  It would therefore confirm that BT as reigning back the old download speeds.  I've never had the predicted 90+ MB downloads though I sometimes get 50MB during the day.
I'd be interested to know from someone with more technical experience whether my presumption is correct!
Alan
Wireless to desktop PC & laptop with Netgear WNR3500 router
Floyd
Grafter

I've tried to connect my laptop and then my son's Windows 7 lappy to the ONT direct. I failed with both and I did my bestest to follow the simple instructions Cheesy Anyway, the Windows 7 machine was a nightmare to get back onto wireless again - Bill Gates didn't make it easy at all, grrrr Angry
On my son's lappy I LAN cabled it direct and used broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and got 51Mb/s download. So is this just a generous speed test? All the other web testers are in the 20-29Mb/s area Undecided
One web tester showed all the other speeds in my local area and It seems the speeds are comparable with the BT '40Mb/s' customers on 20Mb/s. I just imagined that the Plusnet 100Mb/s service would be much faster than BT's offering.
From what I've read and seen, speeds are highly dependant on the PC you're using, the software on it (firewall etc), direct or wireless and if wireless then other radio interference. There's also the quality of fibre jointing to your premisis and finally the network capacity at different times of day!! Roll_eyes I've accepted that PN have set up the correct profile to start with.
youngsyp
Grafter

What AV software are you using?
I'd suggest you disable it and then try a wired connection.
For reference, I just did a speed test over wireless and got 67Mb/s down and 14Mb/s up.
Have you updated the router firmware? Mine needed doing when I got it and did seem to make a difference to throughput.
Also, are the drivers for your NIC and WLAN up to date?
Paul
Floyd
Grafter

Avast, by far the least intrusive that I've used including mcafee and norton.
Will do.
My lappy is 'g' only Cry
Yes, router firmware was done whenI installed it.
NIC? Huh I'll have a look.
Cheers Paul.
PS have you read the BT forums = OMG, so glad I'm here, not to mention the issues they have with their 40Gb limits...
youngsyp
Grafter

OK. I'm sure Avast has given fibre broadband users speed issues though?!
I use Microsoft Security Essentials for reference.
Laptop WLAN adapters are easy and cheap to upgrade. I've gone through 3 separate cards in 2 different laptops since my FTTP install in January. I'm currently using an Intel Pro Wireless 5300 card. The fastest I've seen using it is 88Mb/s. That was standing over the router though.  Grin
Network Interface Controller or your ethernet controller.
I've not been on the BT forums but, may take a look. Thanks.
ETA: What wireless security protocol are you using? It needs to be WPA2_PSK AES or you'll never achieve decent wireless speeds.
Paul
Floyd
Grafter

NIC and WLAN seem to be up to date. The equipment is old though (3+ years) so not the best.
WPA2_PSK AES = yes.
Cheers
wzhpdh

I'm also in Walnut Tree. FTTP arrived last Friday. Speed through direct connect to the ONT is 87mbps download. Through the WRN3500 router (wired) I get 83mbps. Wireless drops to 16mbps ('G' only). Have just got a couple of Solwise 500mbps powerline homeplugs and get 42mbps around the house.
Will try to include my speednet results/picture below...first time!

KEM
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Just to add my twopennyworth (I'm on FTTC not FTTP) regarding Avast.
Last week I changed from Microsoft Security Essentials to using Avast and noticed that where I'd previously recorded download speeds of between 30 mbps and 38 mbps suddenly I couldn't achieve anything over 20 mbps on our main pc (fairly old with only a single core processor).
If I disable the webshield on Avast I can once again achieve speeds in excess of 30 mbps but as soon as webshield is in place I am back down to 18-20 mbps.
These results are using Firefox. There is a difference if I use Chrome but it is not quite so big. Firefox speeds reduce from around 36 mbps to 18 mbps, Chrome 36 mbps  down to 26 mbps.
If I try download speeds on a dual core laptop then Avast webshield makes a negligible difference.
HTH
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi
I'm in Monkston and apart from a network issue a couple of weeks ago I've had no other problems.
I'm using McAfee AV, it's never been a problem.
I always connect my laptop via Ethernet for the best performance. My latest isposure tests showing the one network issue are attached.
Also I have my Xbox connecting wirelessly and have never had any issues with that either.
Cheers
Howard
youngsyp
Grafter

Here's a speed test I did a couple of minutes ago, over wireless.

I'm going to have another go using the PC as a PPPoE client connecting directly to the ONT.
Paul
Floyd
Grafter

I can't get the BT tester to work and I keep getting: The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.  I'm using the FTTP option of course.
wzhpdh, if you're that local to me and you fancy a cuppa, you could pop round and see if your lap top (not sure if it is a lappy or desktop) will get those speeds on my connection?  Smiley You could also show me how to connect to the ONT because I can't seem to get that to work  Undecided
I had a call from PN about this yesterday and there maybe a contention issue that is being looked into. In the mean time I'm trying to bottom out all the possible problems at my end. One thing that I have noticed is that using any of the speed testers more than once can give significant differences. I used Speedtest.net twice yesterday in wired mode to the router and the first test saw 30Mb/s d/l and 15mb/s u/l and the second straight after saw 18Mb/s d/l and 12Mb/s u/l. Sometimes it's the other way around. Two of my lappy's are Avast but one is dual core. My main lappy from work is Symantec and I can't switch it off...
There's some good info coming out here Smiley