Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - have I been sent wrong equipment - I have a Netgear FS116P 10/100 Switch

andypearson
Grafter

FTTP - have I been sent wrong equipment - I have a Netgear FS116P 10/100 Switch

Dave/Floyd
now I'm confused. I have also been sent a Netgear FS116P 16 port 10/100 switch. I was initially concerned, but understood from the FAQ, that the ONT is effectively an "optical modem" and so presumed I had been sent the right piece of equipment - but now I'm not so sure - having seen a recent post from thomjo and Floyd (copied below). My BT engineer is returning next Tuesday 22nd to complete my FTTP connection but now I fear I may not even be able to connect once he's done - if the FS116P is in fact NOT what I need!
Help!
Andy

Quote« Reply #453 on 29/01/2011, 13:57 »
So far so good! I've migrated from BT Infinity (because they couldn't work out how to handle customers on Bradwell Abbey!) - They are geared up for FTTC and find it difficult to cope with FTTP orders... Anyway, I'm all broadbanded up with ADSL on Plusnet and they've exceeded my expectations  Put my ticket in for the Bradwell Abbey FTTP trail and the next day got an appointment for Dave V.cool  The only hiccup so far (but may not be) is that my equipment has arrived but it wasn't what I was expecting at all! I've received a Netgear 16-Port 10/100 Switch (FS116P) instead of the wireless N router. Is this normal?
Other than that, good work guys. Communication is excellent and I'm looking forward to superfast broadband 
15 REPLIES 15
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: FTTP - have I been sent wrong equipment - I have a Netgear FS116P 10/100 Switch

lol, who on earth sent you a Netgear FS116P for what on earth reason?  It does not, can not, and never will do the job of either the ONT or your router.
I'm struggling to think why any ISP would supply a Netgear FS116P at all.
andypearson
Grafter

Re: FTTP - have I been sent wrong equipment - I have a Netgear FS116P 10/100 Switch

Well, good question! It seems that floyd, thomjo and now myself have all been sent a Netgear FS116P ProSafe 16-Port 10/100 switch...  Sad
If this is indeed no use to me, then I hope Dave will pick up this thread (and my updated FTTP ticket) and get me sorted with the kit I DO need  Huh
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Well, if you have a LOT of wired connections, or devices (like some VoIP phones) that want to draw their power from the wired connection, then you might find it useful.  If not, then, it is of no use to you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Topic split off for better visibility and double post removed
jedi98
Grafter

Not exactly a dirt cheap piece of kit either, what with all that PoE and everything. Useful, but not a substitute for a router. Maybe PN use these for some business account (in addition to a router), who knows. Maybe the stuff is shipped out by another supplier. Hey, if PN don't want it back then sell it!!  Cool
The current router being sent on FTTC is a Netgear WNR1000v3, not bad, bit slow on the web config, but a good capable router. Worth about 30% of what that PoE FE switch is worth.
Anyone know what model is being sent as standard to FTTP trialists, out of interest?
keeps54
Grafter

Mine's a Netgear WNR3500. I think that's it's full title but I'm not at home so can't confirm 100%
Cheers, Paul
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Oops, sorry about that. I've sen the right router out, should be with you by Monday.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
andypearson
Grafter

Many thanks Dave - hopefully just in time for my return BT visit on Tuesday  Roll_eyes
fourfourdevon
Grafter

@Dave,
What do you supply Netgear FS116P for?  I know in this instance an error, but why ever?
andypearson
Grafter

Well, good news here. Whilst I'm waiting for my correct modem/router to arrive, and my BT enginner re-visit on Tuesday, I noticed that (since my engineer left last Friday) that the green active light has appeared on my ONT. Clearly the repair of the splitter between me and the cabinet has worked without the need for the engineer to return to my home. Without a correct (non ADSL) modem/router, I plugged the ONT direct into my PC and lo and behold, I got connected and find that my D/L speed (via speedtest.net) has increased from 1.82 mbps to a fabulous 69.46 mbps! Great! I need to connect up a bunch of other devices, so have now returned to my ADSL service while I await my correct modem/router, but all looks good! I guess my returning BT engineer on Tuesday will have a short job. I did try the BT speedtester web site, but it seems my address is not registered as having an active FTTP connection, so it would not complete the test - perhaps that is an admin job that the B engineer will apply once he's confirmed all is OK?
Looking good!  Cheesy
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: fourfourdevon
@Dave,
What do you supply Netgear FS116P for?  I know in this instance an error, but why ever?

We don't, but the warehouse we use is shared and apparently the Netgear FS116s are on the shelf next to our WNR3500s.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: andypearson
Well, good news here.

Nice one! Hopefully yeah will just be a paperwork job on Tuesday to close things off. The BT speedtest probably won't work until Tuesday when the engineer's been to close the job off.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Floyd
Grafter

My address wasn't registered on the BT tester at first but now it's say there's a fault and to try later. It's done this every time I look at it. I'm going to have another go at connecting to the ONT but not sure why I can't get it to work?
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Quote from: fourfourdevon
@Dave,

We don't, but the warehouse we use is shared and apparently the Netgear FS116s are on the shelf next to our WNR3500s.
Expensive mistake to make, especially as they seem to have repeatedly done it.