cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP enabled in our area. Still in Contract. Now What?

FIXED
disorientated
Hooked

FTTP enabled in our area. Still in Contract. Now What?

Hiya.

SO our village has just had FTTP enabled via a funded build with Openreach which we gave our voucher to in order to help fund the build of the network in our area.

I've had emails from Openreach now saying it was part of the T&Cs that we signed up to when we gave our Voucher for the network build, to upgrade to 1000Mb FTTP. That time has now arrived.

We're currently inside an 18 month Plusnet contract (6 months left) with their 67Mb product together with landline.

Ideally I would like to stay with Plusnet and go FTTP.

1) I have 6 months left on my PlusNet 67Mb contract. How do I upgrade (as I'm required via the Openreach Gigabit T&Cs I signed up to.

2) If I find another supplier..... what happens to my 6 month remaining contract with plusnet? Do I get penalized? Somehow I knew I would find myself in this position and hence I hate mobile and broadband contracts which tie you in for lengthy periods of time.

Any advice from those that know?

Thanking you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: FTTP enabled in our area. Still in Contract. Now What?

Fix

@disorientated 

If youi login to your PN account and then check for upgrades it should show FTTP as being available. There is a 38/10 service which I don't think is shown (starts at 78/20 online). You can upgrade now but you would be required to sign a new contract.

Note that PN do not offer phone service with FTTP so you'll lose your pservice and number.

You should be able to move to BT free of charge but with any other ISP you'll probably be hit with early termination charges.

Brian

disorientated
Hooked

Thanks Brian, this worked.

I initially got confused as the uswitch website i checked to see what was available in the area, only showed TalkTalk as a Full Fibre provider (Plusnet was greyed out).

Having looked individually on multiple provider sites, I can see they all offer the Full Fibre service to my address - they were just not on Uswitch.

As for the PN upgrade section, you are right, the upgrade deals for Full Fibre are showing up in there now. Thanks!

I am slightly miffed however that PN only offer a new 24 month contract. I hate being tied in to these things for such a long period of time - TalkTalk on the other hand offer 18month contract period as an alternative (and at a comparable monthly cost).

Talk Talk also offer the Amazon eero 6 Pro as router device, with mesh capable add ons if required. Something PlusNet does not.

I read elsewhere that Bt, Plusnet and EE are all part of the same group (not srue if correct or not) so this would explain why there's no termination charges if moving between them. BT and EE costs are rather pricey though.

I have emailed Openreach about the switching dilemma. They want me to switch to honour my voucher pledge for the installation undertaken and payment they need for it via the voucher, but how can I do this if I am still in contract and have limited real choice.

What are the early temination charges when moving from PN. My current 18 month PN contract ends 11th July 2023. (6 months left).

thanks

Phil

disorientated
Hooked

Just found the answer to the early termination charges for PlusNet:

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/early-termination-charges/

bmc
Hero

@disorientated 

There may be 12 or 18 month contracts available but they cost more per month - the longer the contract the lower the monthly charge.

Phone the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what they say.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@disorientated 

The OR deal with the goverment is quite simple - they only get paid when connections go live. You agreed to install FTTP within a set period once it was available to enable OR to get paid for the work they did. Your choice.

PlusNet and EE are part of the BT Group but run as separate companies. PN not offering a voice service may be part of the overall group stratagy.

You didn't say so I assume you're happy to lose your phone line and number.

Brian