cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP available at my household according to BTAC checker, but Plusnet don't offer

FIXED
raydj2003

FTTP available at my household according to BTAC checker, but Plusnet don't offer

For I long time, even before using Plusnet (started using the service last November) we have been looking for fibre that works at our household. Currently we have a Plusnet standard package which gives us an average of 2.5mbits/ps, this is not good enough for our household as we use the internet a lot and sometimes our current package just does not provide the speeds that we need. 

Upon checking on the BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER(BTAC), the WBC FTTP section is available for our household (used landline number to check), however, only BT offer fibre services to our house. We found out that (only) BT can provide fibre broadband to our house, but we have an 18 month contract with plusnet which ends in around 6 months, so switching to BT would be a hassle as it'd involve costs in switching over to BT to cancel our current contract.

We started using Plusnet because of the price, and because it was the best option for standard broadband (as mentioned before, at this time, 12 months ago, we thought there were NO fibre packages available for our house), there was no option for fibre broadband, and before ordering the package, we contacted vodafone to try and opt for their fibre package, but the same response we have been getting for years and years is that our line does not support fibre, even when the checker shows availability of faster capable broadband. 

What I'm asking for here is why we cannot upgrade to a fibre package with plusnet even though the BTAC shows FTTP availability (attatched is an image of the BTAC result table), should I call BT openreach to get to the bottom of this?

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: FTTP available at my household according to BTAC checker, but Plusnet don't offer

Fix

The reason is PlusNet at present, do not supply FTTP services, they used to offer an FTTP trial service but this has been discontinued. (see the "Fibre to the Premises" section of the forum).

There is a strong possibility that PlusNet will offer a FTTP product in the future but they are not saying when.

So if you want the higher speeds now you will have to cancel your PlusNet contract and move to BT or other ISPs offering FTTP, there are a few such as ZEN, AAISP possibly IDNET but these tend to be more expensive than BT.

If there is only 6 months left it should not be that costly to leave the contract.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: FTTP available at my household according to BTAC checker, but Plusnet don't offer

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from Fibre Broadband to FTTP Trial board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@raydj2003

Just to confirm - you have "WBC FTTP" in the left hand column of the checker results and to the right there is either "1 stage" or "2 stage" shown in another column. One stage means one visit from an engineer.

It is expected that PlusNet will offer a FTTP service - it's just not known when. One presumes they will have work to do behind the scenes (even though then ran a trial for around 8 years!!!).

Sod's law dictates that if you jump PlusNet will announce a service shortly afterwards!!!

A member of staff might pick up on this thread and offer advice on cancellation charges but if not you can contact them and ask.

More ISP's are starting to offer FTTP. I believe BT and Zen are the two main players with a service but Sky have announced one though I'm not sure if (or when) its started.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

Just to confirm - you have "WBC FTTP" in the left hand column of the checker results and to the right there is either "1 stage" or "2 stage" shown in another column. One stage means one visit from an engineer.

@bmc

Info provided in the OP which confirms that, see the image linked to in that postWink

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@RobPN

Indeed he did - sorry about that.

I saw the post last night and answered it this morning without re-reading  - I'll blame the lack of coffee!!!

Brian