Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

@gorepe15 

As FTTP is due tomorrow (supposidly) you can use the following to see if it's actually available to order.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column (not FTTP on Demand) and Available to the right.

If it shows, then there will be a narrative below the results window about FTTP - if any problems are expected they usually get listed.

Brian

gorepe15
Hooked

Hi

Yes, thanks for the update however I checked it out yesterday and the service offered is very much stripped down offering so doubt it will suit my needs, consequently I'll probably bundle with SKY..

Thanks again

bmc
Hero

@gorepe15 

PlusNet is a basic provider so those offering Bundles potentially have far more to offer. If you move you keep your phone number but lose PN e-mails.

That aside, did the Checker say anything about WBC FTTP - until it shows as available there's nowt you can do.

Brian

gorepe15
Hooked

Although the installation date was 'confirmed' for tomorrow, only 4 days ago, there is precious little sign of Openreach activity anywhere on the scheme so maybe I should expect 6th August 2023!

I don't use PN email so no problem for me but have lots of 'users' for the phone number so the loss of that is an issue
bmc
Hero

@gorepe15 

The network install for your area could have been completed a good while back but "upstream" work is / was required to complete the network connection to the Inernet. If so, then things could have been further delayed if problems were found requiring work to fix before installing cables etc.

The Checker is the primary means of knowing if or when FTTP goes live for your address - unless you've registered somewhere for notification if FTTP is available.

Brian

gorepe15
Hooked

I'm the local organiser/coordinator for the rural broadband scheme so i know exactly was is, and what isn't, going on direct from the Openreach contractors contractors or customer liaison. The network is not installed, no houses have been connected.

bmc
Hero

@gorepe15 

Right, new information. The OR FTTP installation isn't a commercial roll out but is being done as part of a community scheme.

As such I would expect you to have more information on timescales than users awaiting a commercial install.

The network needs to be in place first. House connections will not be done unless or until a customer places an order.

Brian

northender
Dabbler

Having contacted Sipgate about the best chance of porting my existing landline number, and retain it when upgrading my account to full fibre, I received the reply below.

"Unfortunately, we can only port active numbers over to sipgate and as soon as Plusnet cancel your current contract, and the number drops into their number pool, then it becomes inactive, so is no longer portable by sipgate. I'm afraid we do have the option to port inactive numbers out of other providers number pools, so the only way we could port your number would be at a time when it is still active with Plusnet. In similar situations, what we are seeing other customers doing, is that they organise the FTTP switch, and ask for a date approx 3 weeks minimum in the future. Then once they get an switch date, they sign up for a sipgate account, verify and set it up, and then start a number port process. Asking for the port to complete on a specific date, one day after the FTTP move. Normally (though we can not provide any guarantees) as long as the port is submitted to Plusnet and they accept it before the switch date, then they will keep the number active for 1 extra day to allow the port to complete. From a fresh sipgate sign up to the number porting requires approx 3 weeks, this is why we suggest a 3 week timespan."

I PM'd Gandalf with this info and he replied

[PM Contents Removed]

Thought this might be beneficial to other posters on this thread.

Anyone tried this yet?
Any other comments?

Moderators Note: Removed contents of a PM  as it is against the Forum rules  to share the contents.

bmc
Hero

@northender 

I believe one member has done a successful port (although it was the day before install). I would have put it down to good fortune but perhaps the procedure Sipgate talk about helped.

So long as you're happy to lose your PN e-mail account and can do without Internet for a couple of weeks then it's perhaps worth a punt now that PN offer FTTP to new customers.

Risks are the FTTP install doesn't happen on the due date and / or PN don't keep the account open.

Brian

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@northender

Unfortunately Gandalf's response was deleted so we have no idea what he said. Perhaps you could copy the text and include it as a quote in the same way as your Sipgate quote.

bmc
Hero

@FlossyThePig 

Basically it was PN have no offical policy on the matter and it's up to the customer to decide if they want to take the risk.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@FlossyThePig wrote:

@northender

Unfortunately Gandalf's response was deleted so we have no idea what he said. Perhaps you could copy the text and include it as a quote in the same way as your Sipgate quote.

It was deleted because posting it is against the forum rules.

if it was posted again it would also be removed.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
northender
Dabbler

Sorry, didn't think about posting rules.
I only PM'd to get a Plusnet viewpoint, perhaps @Gandalf would respond on this thread, but @bmc has summarised it.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries, I wasn't overly bothered about that particular private message being in a public space, but there are some messages that should be kept private, which is likely one of the reasons behind that rule.

My message just went along the lines of if you upgrade to full fibre with Plusnet as an existing customer, you'll lose your phone line and telephone number and there's no alternative I can suggest. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Still baffles me how we can’t port the number then be allocated a new number on the fttc contract.
This is regardless of an upgrade.