Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
notcloud
Grafter

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

Sorry to multipost, I`m just finding this out now that there will be trouble. My port date is tomorrow at some point in the morning. This is never an issue in the times that I have swapped suppliers for electric, gas, phone, internet or mobile, never once. PN SHOULD have resolved this, because as far back as 23/3/2019 they were aware of this Fixed: Cancelling phone line and porting number - Plusnet Community and yet there is no solution. Its not like the PN adverts make out and appears one big mess for something so simple.

What to do what now.

On one hand lose a number I have had for 25 years+ and I have splashed out on porting costs and expressed what I intended to do, yet at no point did the salesteam say no you cannot do that, or offer an alternative.

Or carry on with the port, probably losing and ceasing my PN contract, and most likely have to pay an early closure/breach of contract to PN.

Or leave and go to BT or EE for a sub standard setup as no fixed IP, rendering me as it stands the inability to work from home fully as I will lose the ability of a IPSEC VPN bridge unless I spend a ton of money on new routers. Moderators, I can`t see a way to edit or delete the multiposts so feel free to roll them up in one post 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@notcloud, I’m not in the office now…

Porting a number out from an already active FTTP trial account is a completely different beast and should be fine as discussed in the linked thread compared to doing it with an active FTTC/ADSL which will cease the account. 

We wouldn’t be the ones to update you on the progress of the port so if Sipgate have confirmed it for tomorrow then I suspect it’d be too late to stop the ball from rolling. 

Ideally we should’ve made you aware over the phone you’ll lose your landline number if you sign up for our FTTP service and you also should’ve received an email advising of this when we confirmed the installation date.

We do offer static IPs with FTTP, but due to an issue, they don’t seem to work for some accounts. We’re working on getting to the bottom of this and if you’re affected when your FTTP order completes, I’m really sorry. 

Regarding the contract price, again I’m not in the office to double check, but it may be worth you checking if you’ve received another email to confirm we’ve added discounts towards the standard cost of the service. 

Happy to take a closer look tomorrow. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
notcloud
Grafter

Sorry Gandalf I work retail and airing off like that wasn`t my finest moment. I can remember the operative saying that I would lose the voice as it was a line only offer, but at the same time I did say thats fine I would sign up to sipgate to port my number over, something which I have done in the past with no problems. I wasn`t made fully aware of the implications of what I had said and surely it should be just a case of loss of internet whilst the number is ported out but retain the customer? I`m sure retaining customers is better than losing them.

I asked about F IP and was assured that all I was doing was moving to a better package and taking on a new end of term contract at a higher price than what I was paying, and nothing else would change. I could have got as almost as good a deal, with BT on a business package and got a F IP as well, and at no point was told that the F IP might not happen. To clarify, I wish to stay with PN. The billing I was told would be £37.99 pcm rising to £40.00, then I receive another email saying its £40.00. Can you look into whether its the lower. I know its just £2, but that's before the price increase % of RPI

notcloud
Grafter

Gandalf, it seems I have Sorted it out. Or so I hope.Im assured all I will lose is internet today and FTTP is going on tomorrow. SO 1 day of not internet is cool. fingers crossed that the price holds on July 5th. A word of caution tho to others, it appears that the discounts that you might have by signing up others in the past do not seem to carry over to FTTP.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@notcloud  So you think you have sorted it, I would be interested to know how you have managed to do it. 

You have been posting on the forum, did you not see the many warnings that porting your number out was not possible without it ceasing your Plusnet landline, broadband and account.

I presume you have been speaking to Customer Services, in which case I wouldn't be too confident that they know enough to be able to achieve the impossible, unless Plusnet have changed their processes to allow a new FTTP account to be set up. Even so I am dubious that they could do it so quickly. Have you already got an Openreach FTTP ONT installed in your property?

If the port to Sipgate goes ahead you will lose your line and internet, after that I have no idea what will happen as far as Plusnet is concerned.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

A word of caution tho to others, it appears that the discounts that you might have by signing up others in the past do not seem to carry over to FTTP.

That sounds like a new PlusNet account has been created and (in principle) its not possible to transfer any referrals to the new account. If the existing account is being used then I don't see why referrals should not still be there.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MisterW  A new FTTP account is what I thought could be a possibility, it's the only way a number could be ported out. In which case Plusnet need to announce it because so far it has not been available.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@notcloud,

No problem, looking at your account I can see following the automated email entitled "Information about changing your product" which shows the out of contract price, my colleague you'd spoken with sent you another email, which confirms the deal you've agreed. The email was sent on the back of the ticket logged Here if you can't find it. 

Regarding the number port, from what I can see this isn't showing our side, so have Sipgate definitely confirmed it to you? If so, it may be worth giving them a quick call to make sure it's still on track.

If you don't want to risk losing your landline number, then I can try to cancel the FTTP order, but it'd need be soon, because at some point today, it'll be too late to cancel the order due to how imminent it is. 

It's also worth noting that if the number port does somehow go through today, I'm not confident that this won't close your account when your FTTC is ceased, before the FTTP order completes. 

Also, as far as I'm aware referrals are retained on to FTTP accounts and I don't know of any plans to change that, but if we do make changes then I'm sure we'll let everybody affected know about it. 

Sorry for the complications. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Regarding the number port, from what I can see this isn't showing our side, so have Sipgate definitely confirmed it to you? If so, it may be worth giving them a quick call to make sure it's still on track.

If it helps, looking at my previous port to Sipgate. When it was initiated , a 'ticket' was raised on the Sipgate account. Each time there was any update , the ticket was updated and an email generated with the complete ticket history. That included the update when the port date was confirmed and an update when the port completed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

notcloud
Grafter

Well sipgate all ported around 3pm this afternoon, all working as required. oddly enough we still have working internet and no landline as I would have hoped it would have been. Next thing is I will need to swap out the SH2 for a better suited router. Is the username and password the same setup as what it was on FTTC?

notcloud
Grafter

Fiber is from the pole, the next morning after signing up. I sent sipgate the required paperwork on 6-6-22, they ported the number around 3pm 21-6-22, BTOR should be coming tomorrow to fit ONT, hopefully thru the holes I have pre drilled to avoid wiring in the house. FTTC without voice is still working at the moment, which means internet and VOIP.

I run the IT dept in the company I work at, and have installed a full multi trunked sip server linking 6 sites across kent and one in Spain, 2 of which are using 4g routers, which in turn only have an CGNAT IP which is shared between multiple different users (you, joe down the road etc) which is a pain, but can work around it

notcloud
Grafter

RE the forum warnings, Thats how I saw the warnings, a bit late at around 7pm last night. Bit squeky last night

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I suspect you might lose service overnight when the account changes complete Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
notcloud
Grafter

Push come to shove I do have ayce 4g sim and a 4g mifi type router to get back online in the event when the Internet does indeed switch off. In fact, I'll go dig it out and charge it up just incase btor skip my appointment....
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Interestingly, the FTTC asset is still live though I can see you've had no connection for the last 10 mins or so.

Is the engineer there installing your FTTP? Cheesy 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet