Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
KeithKnight
Dabbler

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

@RealAleMadrid Thank you for your comments. Your situation is different to mine as I don't already have VOIP. As for retaining the copper line, I have been categorically informed by Plusnet provisioning that is NOT an option. I'm not sure why that should be different for me than for other customers? Openreach ultimatel y wish to maintain a single fibre service to each property so it would be counter-productive. I just wish to keep my existing landline number and upgrade to full fibre. I fail to see why service providers have to make that so blindingly complex. Of course we are forgetting that the lagacy system database is keyed to the landline number and that when that is removed, there is no service. Even those using virtual VOIP numbers would find that their service database entry is linked to an original landline number, eveb if it is not in use. It is an obsolete system that constrains how services are managed. I hope we bith get what we want. Currently things seem very foggy! 🙂

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

If you upgrade your account to full fibre your current contract with Plusnet ceases.

You loose your landline number whether or nor copper to the house is removed.

If you start a new full fibre contract opting to keep your phone the current contract remains and the number can be ported even if the copper to your house is removed, a fault on the line does not prevent the port.

Porting to VoIP will cease the landline and if agreed before with Plusnet any ETC  will be waived.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@KeithKnight  I do agree with you regarding Plusnet's poor implementation of their FTTP product, I have commented on the forum right from the start that it was completely half-baked and unfair to customers such as yourself who want to upgrade but keep their existing number. which is virtually impossible. I guess BT retail are happy if they get a bunch of customers moving to them.🙄

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Of course we are forgetting that the lagacy system database is keyed to the landline number and that when that is removed, there is no service. Even those using virtual VOIP numbers would find that their service database entry is linked to an original landline number, eveb if it is not in use.

Whilst that was true for ADSL, FTTC and FTTP trial accounts, the new Full Fibre accounts are completely different and have no landline number associated with them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bgiles
Rising Star

At some point before PSTN switch off (planned for end of 2025), all ISP's will have to move away from linking account numbers to the legacy analogue phone number, as these numbers will then cease to exist for the broadband service after 2025.

This is particularly pertinent to ADSL & FTTC customers who have chosen not to, or been unable to port them to VoIP. 

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re the practicality of installing a new FTTP line whilst keeping the existing FTTC/phone line set up in place - seems to be possible IF you are currently fed by overhead line from a pole BUT in my area of the village ,which is 100% underground duct fed , I cannot find anyone who hasn't lost their Cu connection as part of the full fibre install - presumably because Openreach take the easiest ,least expensive route.

The only ones who have a "landline" telephone number are with BT (other than some new houses which never had Cu lines in the first place)

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

As far as I'm aware, Openreach will often remove the copper line when it isn't in use, whilst installing FTTP.  If it's in use then it would be left in place.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

My circumstances are different from most of you on this forum, as I am retired, so finances are a bit more limited. I have just done some simple calculations regarding moving to BT in order to retain my landline number. I could probably get away with "Full Fibre 36” but "Full Fibre 74” should suit my needs. The closest BT offering is "Full Fibre 2”.
  • The cost for me to upgrade to "Full Fibre 74” is currently £287.88 a year.
  • Move to BT "Full Fibre 2” without phone and any deals is £407.88 a year (£120 more).
  • Move to BT "Full Fibre 2” with phone and without any deals is £467.88 a year (£180 more) plus 22.84p/minute call charges.

I have yet to explore other options but my contract finishes at the end of November so I may jump ship completely.

bgiles
Rising Star

@FlossyThePig 

Are you saying BT "Full Fibre 2” with phone (VoIP) and PAYG are charging 22.84p/minute?

I'm paying 1p/minute with my VoIP provider, so the BT charges are crazy!

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@FlossyThePig 

If you jump ship then you lose PlusNet e-mail and any other add ons you may have.

As such signing up as a new customer to create a separate account from your current one would be the same as jumping ship. OpenReach would be required to leave your copper line in place as it is serving an active connection.

Once FTTP is up and running you port your phone number out to a VOIP provider which cancels your original account. You would be on the hook for two connections for the period between FTTP going live and porting your number to cancel your original account. As you would be off contract by then termination charges would be minimal (perhaps one month).

Brian

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@bgiles wrote:

@FlossyThePig 

Are you saying BT "Full Fibre 2” with phone (VoIP) and PAYG are charging 22.84p/minute?

I'm paying 1p/minute with my VoIP provider, so the BT charges are crazy!

Crazy , but I don't think BT want to kill a "cash cow". It's the reason I want to move my number to a VOIP provider.

madgav
Grafter

Ok slightly OT here but I just got an email from PN telling me that I am out of contract and paying an out of contract price of £47.54 pm (which I know already, although it's a bit less than that due to referral discount).

It then goes on to state that "We want to make sure you're on the right package for you and get great value, so here are our best offers available to you if you'd like to renew with us:

A great deal for you
This is our best offer for you based on your current package:
• Unlimited Fibre Extra
• From only £23.99 a month
• 18 month contract
• Line rental included
• 66Mb average download speed
• Add Weekends call plan to your package for an additional £0.00 per month.
• Price changes apply

Find out more"

Unfortunately when I click the 'Find out more' link I get "Sorry the offer you clicked on is no longer available". 

Not great as if this was available I'd be tempted to go for it rather than 'upgrade' to FTTP as it is at the moment. Of course I'd need to confirm that I'd keep my PN email, webspace, static IP and referrals.

Anyone else had this email? Do we know if this offer might actually be available? Gandalf? Smiley

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@madgav If you log into the Members Centre, does this offer appear under the "Offers and Upgrade" page?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
madgav
Grafter

@Spen  No, I just get "Sorry the offer you clicked on is no longer available". Despite the email (received in the last hour) offering it!

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@madgav - has your exchange been "upgraded" to fibre priority ? Certainly I try to look for alternatives to my current PN FTTC deal but nothing else is available other than upgrade to full fibre without phone.