Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
bgiles
Rising Star

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

Additionally, this error seems to imply that FTTC 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' customers whose exchanges have been subsequently restricted to 'FTTP Priority Exchange', when they attempt to renew their contract, i.e. wish to remain on FTTC, will be downgraded to 'Unlimited Fibre'

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Shackman205, I'm only stepping outside of process to offer this for @madgav, due to the nature of the mistake we've made. For anyone else, the official process is you can transfer to BT for Digital Voice and FTTP. 

@bgiles, those who renew on the Unlimited Fibre Extra package won't see their speed downgraded. The error here is completely ours as our system thought the legacy account should be on the 40/10 product. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Well, I've just had an email telling my contract ends at the end of November. I now have 3 options:

1.  Renew my diabolical 8/0.5 FTTC service and retain my landline telephone number;
  2. Upgrade to FTTP and lose my landline telephone number;
  3. Jump ship and hopefully retain my landline telephone number.

Through a mistake made by PN on another account shows it is possible to port a number to a VOIP provider. Is the process so complex that PN don't want to provide it?

If I transfer to BT what happens when they close down their domestic ISP arm, will I get transferred back to PN?

If a new customer wants to retain their landline phone but their exchange is fibre priority does PN reject the application?

I have raised a complaint with OFCOM about PN's handling of upgrading to FTTP so I may be forced into option 3 anyway.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @FlossyThePig,

I've just tried to give you a call to talk through this, but there was no answer.

I'm again only offering what I have done to madgav under an exceptional circumstance. It's not feasible to offer this to all. 

If you'd like to keep your landline number, then moving to BT is the way forward to avoid termination fees. I don't know what will happen in the future, but this currently is the way it is. 

If a new customer is in a fibre priority area, they cannot sign up for a landline from us as we don't offer VoIP services. 

I've logged a complaint on your account Here and I'll ask one of my colleagues to follow things up with you next week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

If a new customer wants to retain their landline phone but their exchange is fibre priority does PN reject the application?

The fibre priority stop sell rules are here

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates

As Anoush says, no new copper based Installation  orders will be accepted. Existing fttc customers can transfer isp BUT only to a 40/10 product

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@MisterW  - So we are royally screwed - either move to the more expensive FTTP/DV product with BT Retail or stay with PN on 40/10 (for me anyway) to keep my phone line/number until ??. No other ISP seems to even show anything other than full fibre when I look now and no way to switch my number !! 

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi @FlossyThePig,

I've just tried to give you a call to talk through this, but there was no answer.

If you'd like to keep your landline number, then moving to BT is the way forward to avoid termination fees. I don't know what will happen in the future, but this currently is the way it is. 

If a new customer is in a fibre priority area, they cannot sign up for a landline from us as we don't offer VoIP services. 

Sorry I missed you, with the good weather I was out in the garden.

The reason I don't wish to move to BT apart from their £5 surcharge for Digital Voice there is no reduction in call charges compared to their existing rates, nearly 23p/min compared to about <1p/min with VOIP providers. Zen has a surcharge for their "Digital Voice" but it includes a large number of inclusive minutes. I'm not sure what Talk Talk have to offer but they do have instructions on setting up a Grandstream ATA which implies some form of VOIP feture.

The point I was trying to make about new customers who want FTTP but retain a landline with their existing supplier in a fibre priority area be rejected as they could lose their existing copper connection.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

The reason I don't wish to move to BT apart from their £5 surcharge for Digital Voice there is no reduction in call charges compared to their existing rates, nearly 23p/min compared to about <1p/min with VOIP providers

Yes, I dont think the BT product is aimed at anyone familiar with voip. It's really marketed as a landline replacement for people who expect similar costs

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@FlossyThePig, no worries it's fairly lousy up here in Sheffield, but glad you have good weather where you live. Cheesy

@FlossyThePig wrote:

The point I was trying to make about new customers who want FTTP but retain a landline with their existing supplier in a fibre priority area be rejected as they could lose their existing copper connection.

If a new customer in a fibre priority area wants FTTP, but to retain their landline with an existing provider, this is possible as we'd place an installation order in a way which doesn't touch the copper phone line.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bgiles
Rising Star

'The reason I don't wish to move to BT apart from their £5 surcharge for Digital Voice there is no reduction in call charges compared to their existing rates, nearly 23p/min compared to about <1p/min with VOIP providers'

That's just exploiting peoples ignorance of the current market. Not nice a nice thing to do, and BT should be ashamed of themselves.

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
madgav
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf 

Many thanks for the quick reply and wow, I wasn't expecting that 😲

Assuming that keeping the same account means keeping everything I currently have (email, webspace, referrals and static ip) then clearly I'm going to jump at the chance to do this, as this was exactly what I was wanting to do from the start 👍

If you can let me know the process I'd like to get this underway asap. The product I wanted to upgrade to was the Full Fibre 74 @ £23.99 pm. 

Thanks again for this offer, albeit I feel a bad that this offer isn't available to everyone - it's left a bit of a sour taste reading the other comments - sorry everyone, but I can't turn this offer down..... 😞

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @madgav,

No problem, I wouldn't have offered this if there was another way to resolve, and I genuinely tried to think of a different way. I felt we had to put things right here. I'd love to offer this to everybody here, but it really isn't feasible. If it helps anyone else although not quite the same, they could try the steps Here.

If you can place the product change online via your account and let me know afterwards (ideally tonight or tomorrow, if possible), I'll take it from there. I'll only be able to get the ball rolling as next week I'm moving on to a different department, but I'll make sure one of my colleagues follows this through while I'm away. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madgav
Grafter

Ok, thanks @Gandalf, I will go ahead and order. Let's hope it all works ok.

At what point do I port my number out to VOIP? Given that I will need to select a VOIP provider.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool no problem @madgav

I've created a support ticket with a plan Here. Let me know if you decide not to go ahead though. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madgav
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf 

Sorry to be fussy but can you absolutely confirm that I will keep my plusnet email, webspace, referral (1 off) and static ip?

As losing these would cause me a whole lot of other issues.

Thanks

Gavin.