Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

It is far from that simple. Retain existing number is only an option for non-Plusnet users. In those cases, Plusnet leaves the existing service alone and lets the user sort out termination of the existing services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Which should be fine for @Memphis reading their current arrangement (BB with PN but landline with BT).

Edit: I'm not 100% sure whether or not the 'retain number' option exists in the upgrade journey. If it does exist a an option, then you should be fine.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Currently an FTTC customer and have been for years. Would like to upgrade onto full fibre FTTP which is available for our property.

Now that PN have fully launched their fibre packages, how can I upgrade my broadband to FF but retain the copper line for long enough to port out my existing phone number? The call charges and line rental are paid to BT so there's no PN involvement with the voice aspect.

Also have a static IP address which I wish to retain as well if that makes any difference.

@Townman 

Did you miss this bit or have I misread it.

Brian

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Not sure why you’re saying it’s far from that simple.

It’s exactly what I’m doing as suggested by gandoff

Providing you have a new full fibre service in place first the number is ported to voip and retained.

You can’t do this if you upgrade the copper line.
You either lose static ip /email or the number.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@ukguy1  then I presume your phone line is not with PN.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

My phone line and fibre fttc has been with plusnet for 20 years

I’ll be signing up to full fibre as a NEW install in addition to the current service.

After full fibre we will port our number to sipgate voip which will cancel the fttc and landline
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Brian,

That is an interesting bend of the light ... I do not recall any clear discussion on the scenario where a long-standing user (who has broadband with Plusnet but phone services with another) airs when seeking to switch to FTTC.  I suspect that the termination of the PLUSNET FTTC service will trash the voice service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

New installs get this option under “add extras”

F12B5D5F-EC62-4445-A50E-5CC10873EE9C.jpeg

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

The termination of fttc does trash the voice service, hence why you can’t upgrade.

(May differ when the line is elsewhere?)

That’s why a new install is the only option, then you can either keep the landline or port the number to voip.
The port will then thrash the landline.

That’s the way I understand it anyway
bmc
Hero

@Townman 

I'm pretty certain there was a recent set of posts on this subject but it may have been within another thread. I recall that I originally thought PN FTTP would have no impact on a BT phone line (unless they pulled the copper) but a wizard we know suggested otherwise though it could be "managed". Must have a look tomorrow to see if I can find it.

Brian

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@ukguy1 wrote:
My phone line and fibre fttc has been with plusnet for 20 years
I’ll be signing up to full fibre as a NEW install in addition to the current service.
After full fibre we will port our number to sipgate voip which will cancel the fttc and landline

Have been struggling to understand some of the technical aspects of this thread (am not a techie, as most people know).

However @ukguy1 's post (above) makes it clear in very few words, how to stay with PlusNet *and* not lose your landline NUMBER.

Good to see that, because so many posts about other "options", involve leaving PlusNet and moving to BT (free of any early-termination-charges of current contracts with PN).

PlusNet is a very good ISP.  I've been here a loooong time.  I don't especially want to see PlusNet's endless thousands of loyal phone-and-broadband customers haemorrhaging across to BT because that's presented as the quickest/easiest way to (a) get full fibre FTTP (whatever the correct terminology is) *and* (b) keep your landline NUMBER.

It's good to know there's a seemingly-straightforward alternative.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Penny wrote:

However @ukguy1 's post (above) makes it clear in very few words, how to stay with PlusNet *and* not lose your landline NUMBER.

This also unbundles the landline number and broadband allowing more future choice, much like not having an email tied to an ISP.

bmc
Hero

@Penny 

Although it can be done there appears no "easy" way to keep your phone number if you are an existing customer with a phone service. I've outlined options as I understand them for various set ups to enable phone number retention.

1) PN Internet & Phone

Although one person has managed to port out their number I suspect this was entirely down to good luck and timing. Options are

Switch ISP

Work with staff to place an order as a new customer. Once FTTP is installed port your existing number out to a VOIP provider, cancelling your old account. The following was posted on this thread in #125

"We should be able to waive cancellation charges if you port your number to another provider, but we'd prefer the FTTP account to be up and running first, so there's a commitment to stay with us, in exchange for waiving the fees.

I'd note that if you have any extras like email, domain, webspace with us you'll lose this. Also if you have a static IP you'll also lose this but can buy a new, likely different static for a one off charge of £5 on the FTTP account."

2) PN Internet & Phone with another provider (Legacy account)

You should be able to port the number out as an FTTP install doesn't directly impact your phone service (in the PN system). However, as ever, you need to work a with a staff member to ensure this.

3) PN FTTP Trial with Phone service (either PN or Other provider).

Due to the way Trialists were set up on the PN system there has always been the option to cancel or port your phone service. You need to arrange this with PN before upgrading your account with a new contract.

4) New Customer

The order procedure offers the option to keep your phone number but you need to work with your existing provider to set up a phone only account or port the number to a VOIP provider.

No doubt I'll be informed if I've got anything wrong.

Brian

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Worth noting that on option 1 you are also effectively option 4 as this retain landline selection is available when signing up to full fibre.

If you wait until full fibre is installed and pay both accounts with plusnet then you have a landline and full fibre.
(And reconfirm with the engineer when he comes not to remove the copper as it’s a paying account like having 2 lines)

Then you can choose to port to voip which will close the landline account. Plusnet then offer to waive any fees.

Doing it like this avoids the “timing” and luck aspect that One customer had trying to port and upgrade the same account.
However, it comes with the caveats of changing static ip etc which to me is fine.
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Well, I've got three months left on my current FTTC contract. I don't want to "play the system" to get FTTP and retain my landline number which will allow me to port it to a VOIP provider.

I could move to BT but I object to having to pay £5 / month for Digital Voice and call charges based on the current landline charges. Who knows if I can port my number From BT during a new 24 month contract and stop paying the DV surcharge.

How many accounts will PN lose because they haven't considered people who actually use a number they have had for many years. How many new accounts will they fail to get because of their proposed solution to retaining a landline number.

So, for me, I have three months to find an ISP who can offer what I want, or PN gets its act together and provides a simple solution to upgrading with the option to port my landline number (or a reasonably priced DV feature).