Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

I guess if I hadn’t stupidly renewed my contract only 2 months ago I could have…

1- had a new fttp install in addition to the fttc
2- ported my number and cancelled the fttc

It’s the contract which is my issue, after 20 years with plusnet they hold me to this.
Yet I’ve paid the same price all that time as someone with 3 times the soeed or more

Very annoying
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@ukguy1 wrote:
Still baffles me how we can’t port the number then be allocated a new number on the fttc contract.
This is regardless of an upgrade.

It is possible to do, though from what I understand, it can be quite risky.  There's only 1 ISP I know of who will do it, and that is only if you are exporting the number to their VOIP offering.  I think it's been said that is because that is the only way they can have enough control over it if/when issues occur.

Edit: Added quote to make it obvious what I was replying to, since its over the page, and there's another post between now

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

You’d think that on the day of porting plusnet could just simply give the fttc service a new number but I guess numbers are more complex than it appears.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

It's not Plusnet who assign the numbers though.  That's all coming from Openreach.  The process I mentioned is their "Export and Renumber" order, which if I remember correctly consists of multiple orders in the Openreach system.  If one of them fails, others might still complete and that's where the risks come in to it.  The ISP I mentioned keep a close eye on all the orders and so will cancel the other orders if that happens.  They only allow you to move the number to their own VOIP, as that is the only way they can access the order for that side of it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@ukguy1, if you can drop me a private message with your phone number, I'll ask one of my colleagues to call you. We should be able to waive cancellation charges if you port your number to another provider, but we'd prefer the FTTP account to be up and running first, so there's a commitment to stay with us, in exchange for waiving the fees. 

I'd note that if you have any extras like email, domain, webspace with us you'll lose this. Also if you have a static IP you'll also lose this but can buy a new, likely different static for a one off charge of £5 on the FTTP account. 

I hope this helps though. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Oh brilliant, I’ll message you

There was talk that openreach removed the old copper line when installing full fibre, however, if I signed up to a full fibre before porting/cancelling the fttc I guess they’d leave both cables as it’s an active service at the time of install.

Thanks!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah that makes sense and sounds good. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@ukguy1 

Even if they removed the copper then it would surely only show as a fault on PlusNet - if support are on the ball they'll leave it alone until the port transfer cancels the account.

Even with early termination charges waived you might be on the hook for the days of twin service.

Brian

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I want to keep my phone number (not bothered about email) and have ~ 3 months left on my FTTC deal ,so just for clarity (and my sanity !!) :-

1. In the next couple of months , I would need to order a NEW FTTP install from PN. 

2. Once that is up and running , I would inform PN that I was porting the number to a VOIP provider - once done, this would cause my FTTC contract to be cancelled 

3. Because I had stayed with PN on an FTTP contract then my cancellation charges for the remaining FTTC contract would be waived.

Have I got this right ?Huh

The alternative is to use PN to move me over to FTTP with BT which will retain my telephone number? Or renegotiate a new FTTC contract. (My exchange has moved recently to fibre priority ,so can't move provider)

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@bmc
True yes, the line would still be active with the contract and number until it’s ported.

Yeah there may be an overlap of two services for a short period, that’s fine, it gives us a way forward!

From 13mb to 74mb for +£2!
Uploads up from 0.5 which is terrible for home security etc!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@davidj66, from what I've been told, all of those three options should be okay.

Let me know when you decide to go ahead and I'll arrange a call. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@davidj66 

You "might" be able to change provider is you wished, but you would probably have to phone to place the order and hope that OR validate it. The following screen image is from another thread (re ORDI changes)

VDSL.JPG

If you stay with Plusnet for FTTP I suggest you would need to work closely with support staff to ensure things went smoothly. From what's just been said, it might be possible to start the move now rather than wait until the end of your contract.

Brian

Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Decades ago it was something like 5 years for phone number to be reused.  However, new PSTN customers were suddenly getting calls for companies and other people that had recently ceased those numbers.  It transpired, according to BT at the time, that they had a shortage of phone numbers in those areas so were quickly recycling numbers.  Don't forget that BT used to consider that phone numbers belonged to them and as such they used to try to charge other companies a royalty, and that including companies using phone numbers in computerised systems and software.  I think that was in the days of Oftel, before Ofcom, and in the end it was stated that the numbers were not owned by BT, and they had no rights to charge royalties etc.  This opened up the transfer of numbers between providers.  Before then if you left BT and went elsewhere you ended up with a new number that was not very good for businesses, etc.  This was really the start of virtual numbers as then you could use any number and transfer to different telephone networks.  Since the transfer of numbers that has not been necessary.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

"You "might" be able to change provider is you wished, but you would probably have to phone to place the order and hope that OR validate it. The following screen image is from another thread (re ORDI changes)"

The screengrab mentions FTTC

My discussion with @Gandalf  was in relation to porting/changing provider of the number on the FTTC line AFTER having a new FTTP full fibre install.

The port would then cancel the FTTC contract (and plusnet waive the fee as long as I show loyalty by committing to a new FTTP install, which I will)

I think @davidj66 basically wants to do the same thing and running 2 installs for a crossover period is a way to do it without the risks. I'd just need to switch over the static ip I use for a few things but that's no problem.

bmc
Hero

@ukguy1 

The post was in relation to @davidj66 saying he couldn't change provider.

Yes, I agree he appears to be looking to do the same as you.

Brian