Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

I wasn’t referring to fttp or full fibre

I’m on fttc with a number I want to keep. I was referring to changing the phone number first, then making the old number a voip sipgate number, but the issue is that unless we port it we lose it.

If the fttc had a new number we could then upgrade to full fibre and the old number would be retained with sipgate

But this doesn’t seem possible because the old number would disappear to thin air once we change to the new nunver
Mark63
Rising Star

What happens to 'lost' landline numbers ?  Presumably they are quarantined for a year or two (or these days, probably for ever ?), but are there any means to get them back ? 

Obviously you'd be without for a few weeks while all the paperwork gets processed. Presumably, as far as Plusnet numbers are concerned they are 'owned' by BT ?   

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

If you 'lose' the number due to a move to FTTP, you don't get it back, but from what I have read, your VoIP provider can allocate you one - IIRC.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Presumably they are quarantined for a year or two

IIRC It's 14 days

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

Presumably they are quarantined for a year or two

IIRC It's 14 days

...And potentially reallocated to someone else ?!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Yes.

John
Mark63
Rising Star

Blimey. Is there a sudden resurgence of fax lines, and office DDIs ?

notcloud
Grafter

@Mark63, not really, its just a ball ache to inform EVERYONE that requires informing that you have changed your number. Personally I`m a keyholder and on a call list for three branches near to where I live. Each branch uses a different monitoring company, and usually they make it as difficult to be to change contact details. One of the branches would require a site visit to update the SD1 thats on the system as its an automated dial out  voice communicator.

That and all the friends from way back when and elderly family. Heck we have suppliers that we mention a change of delivery address to and  yet they still try to deliver to the old address, months later even tho we have had deliveries to the new address. So sometimes, keeping the same number is the simplest solution

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Having read all 7 pages of this thread ,I've now realised that I'm going to have to stay on FTTC if I stay with PN when my deal runs out - mobile signal is pants here and we need our existing number for incoming phone calls from banks etc for security reasons - too much of a ballsache to change God knows how many contacts over to a new number.  🙄

grahamt
Rising Star

I'm in the same situation as @davidj66 . And all because BT doesn't want to lose customers to Plusnet.

Curiously, I couldn't see any mention of what happens to landlines in the email announcing the imminent arrival of full fibre (presumably in preparation for offering it to new customers). I wonder at what point in the sign-up process people will find out.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

We have had 13mb fibre for years and a number the family need. Full fibre available for 5 years but only just becoming available/affordable.

I was paying out of contract price but after a big increase in March I recontracted to get it half the price.

The Plusnet offer full fibre 38mb for the same price! But no landline.

1 - I can't renumber the current service and transfer our old number to sipgate VOIP as they won't allow it

2 - I can't upgrade to Full fibre and get 38mb (what we pay for for once!) as we lose the phone number

3 - When PN offer Full fibre to new customers I'm told we can't sign up to a "new" service as they'll remove the old overhead cable and terminate the landline even though it's on a different contract (PN wil then charge termination charges)

I feel we are trapped with 13mb and 0.5mb uploads,  just when we can start getting higher speeds PN will not allow us to keep the number or even transfer it.

This all seems very unfair after we've been a customer for 20 years and paid the same price as others getting much higher speeds. Yet again we are left trapped. It would be so easy to renumber our line, then let us move the old number to sipgate then upgrade to full fibre. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I’ve replied to your post here https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/any-way-out/m-p/1879383 which I hope helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gorepe15
Hooked

Surely, as other providers do allow phone numbers to be retained, it's a choice (or error) that Plusnit have decided to make. Fttp is due to be available in my area by Saturday 6th Aug (don't believe it as no one has seen an Openreach van for months but it's the gibberish customer (dis)services like to peddle) so it looks like PN will lose a long standing customer by virtue of their incompetence/lack of customer focus...

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@gorepe15 

Are you sure it's OpenReach FTTP that's coming and not one of the Alternative suppliers?

If you have an overhead feed for your phone line is there anything now hanging from the pole itself - a Distribution Point aka Connectorized Block Terminal?

That aside, there has been movement on PlusNet FTTP today - it's now open to new customers. It also appears they can keep their phone number but not with a PN supplied service. It's unknown exactly what this means.

Brian

gorepe15
Hooked

Hi Answers = Yes, No..
Interesting news update, I'll check it out.. Thanks