Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
Shackman205
Rising Star

FTTP and Residential number porting

I'm suspect I'm one of the many confused re FTTP and landline porting

As an existing customer I have a date for my new FTTP install, and understand ADSL and landline will disappear at that point.

However, can I have my landline number ported over to my VOIP provider the day before the FTTP install which I know will also 'kill' the landline/broadband at that point, albeit for up to 24 hours, although I can live with that? That's less time than the broadband was down thanks to a fault earlier this year!

However, reading another thread it seems to indicate that if I port my number and 'kill' the landline, the FTTP can't go ahead either, as 'Switching to a VOIP service for your current landline will cease your PlusNet account.'   - or have I misunderstood the gist of the conversation?

344 REPLIES 344
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

Fix
Currently there is no option to port your landline number out, unless you were part of the old trial that you ended some time ago (there is still the old copper carrying voice as well as fibre for broadband for these customers).

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Shackman205
Rising Star

It seems a bit of an own goal that in order to move to Plusnet's FTTP service (having waited so long) I have to lose my phone number that I've had longer than I've been with Plusnet - and that is still used as contact for many friends, relations and others around the world.

dsluk
Grafter

I'm in the same boat. I wanted to remain with Plusnet for FTTH but also wish to retain my landline number. I'm struggling to believe/understand that we are in this position, especially when we will all have no option in the very near future due to the planned shutdown of the PSTN network. Ofcom are not fit for purpose, they should be aware of issues like these and should have planned for these situations by forcing ISP's to offer porting, or created a system where our number is held temporarily after the cease to allow a port.

As it stands and if my understanding is correct, the only way I can achieve what I want is to order FTTH with another provider, once that is live, port my number away from Plusnet which will then cease the line?

bigredbeast

There just has to be a way of achieving number port out to a VOIP service without closing down your account, I'm hoping @Gandalf may have some wise words on the subject.

I'm in the same situation as others here with the added complexity of having my domain and multiple mailboxes with Plusnet as well as my landline number. I want to go from FTTC to FTTP but currently it seems my only choices are lose my phone number to maintain my Plusnet service or migrate to another provider and have the pain of moving my domain and email as well.

Come on Plusnet, don't let me down. I can't believe that after being a customer for 25 years since the birth of Force9 this is how it's going to end 😞

Shackman205
Rising Star

Like you BRB, I hope @Gandalf might have some wise words, as I do find it strange that whilst Plusnet will pull my VDSL service on 'changeover day', they can't on the day before so as to allow number porting.

I

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm afraid that due to the way our systems work, we can't upgrade your service to FTTP while keeping your landline number active or port it out. If you're wanting both then you'll need to move to another provider. We can waive termination charges if you choose BT or EE as that provider by calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. 

Alternatively, if you can hold out until we offer FTTP for new customers then you could sign up a brand new FTTP account then port your landline number away from us, which would close down your FTTC account. 

Regarding your domain, if you go down this path, that'd also need to be transferred away so if you can drop me a private message with your domain name, account username and IPSTAG of the new registrar, I can arrange that for you. If you had an email address that ends in plus.com, you wouldn't be able to keep it after the account's closed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ScottyKernow
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I also could do with some clarification...

Currently with BT for FTTP and landline phone, I prefer to keep this landline number

Have got an old PlusNet account for emails, I'd rather keep this too

Contacted PlusNet and the sales team are creating a new account and switching me to landline broadband arount the 21st

Approx 2 weeks later when Plusnet offer FTTP they will upgrade this account

I assume around the activation date for FTTP i need to port the telephone number over to Sipgate (or similar)

Have rung back the PlusNet sales team but am not totally sure they understand, or its me not understanding fully

Is this likely to work out?

I dont want this to go wrong as both the loss landline number and old email address would cause me a lot of pain to sort, had these for toooo many years

Apologies and thanks in advance

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Scotty,

I'm really sorry but that wouldn't work because when we've transferred your landline number to us, if we upgrade you to FTTP, the only option we'd have is to cease the number, so you wouldn't be able to port it out to Sipgate. 

The best bet is to wait until we offer FTTP to new customers then you should be able to sign up straight onto this without affecting your number. In the meantime, I'd recommend calling us (0800 013 2632) back to cancel the order. 

Regarding your emails, this would be safe as it's an entirely separate email only account. 

Let me know if you've got any questions. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ScottyKernow The method you have described will not work, don't know why sales have suggested it. An upgrade to from FTTC to FTTP will cease the FTTC account and lose the landline number.

Read what @Gandalf says in message #7 of this thread. You need a new Plusnet FTTP only account (when it can be ordered) and also a working  FTTC account which could be your current BT account, no need to change the FTTC to Plusnet.

When the FTTP is working port your landline number to Sipgate or whoever that will cease the phone line and the FTTC service on it.

I would cancel whatever you have arranged with the sales team, they don't understand what needs to be done.

I see Gandalf has replied to clarify this.

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Hi 

Thanks you two for the replys

I assume the sales team were just trying to be helpful, maybe I didn't make it totally clear what I needed

I have cancelled the order and will wait for PN to offer FTTP services

I will be back...

😁

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @ScottyKernow

Sorry again for the disappointment, but just a little while longer to wait! Smiley

@ScottyKernow wrote:

I will be back...:beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

ill be back arnold schwarzenegger GIF (GIF Image)

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

I'm a bit confused, have I jumped the gun by ordering Plusnet FTTP on Monday?

I want to keep my landline number for VOIP. What will happen to the number after FTTP is installed?

Do I have to cancel my order and wait for Plusnet to get its act together?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@FlossyThePig  If you don't cancel the order you will lose your landline and its phone number when FTTP is installed. There are many posts on the forum complaining that Plusnet have not organised this half-baked introduction of the FTTP service properly. It will lead to a lot of problems when customers discover they no longer have a telephone service or a number they had for years.

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Hi
I have cancelled mine for that reason.
Sit tight mate until they start offering Full Fibre