Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Landlines

FIXED
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: FTTP and Landlines

@MikeFrizelle  The problem with Plusnet Full Fibre is that it is very difficult to upgrade to it and keep your existing landline number. Is that your requirement? You can certainly have a VOIP connection on Full Fibre but it won't supplied by Plusnet.

The new Full Fibre account route while your existing connection is still active is one possible option. You will lose your old account e-mail and webspace if you used it but when the FTTP is active  port your number to a Voip supplier, which will cancel your existing landline and broadband contract.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@MikeFrizelle 

If you can wait a while OFCOM are introducing a "right to port" in April. How ths will work and PN confirmation that they are following the rules is, as yet, unknown.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

and PN confirmation that they are following the rules

if and when it comes in I don't see how they can't follow the rules. It will be part of the Ofcom GC ( general conditions for communication providers) 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

batch2001

I thought the right to port was going to hold your number for a month after end of service?

Not sure it helps that much with a switch out from PN to AN Other if you go from fttc to fttp.

Could be well wide of the mark. Usually am.
Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@batch2001 From what I read, can't remember if it was on the Ofcom or OTA websites, the idea is that the month following transfer will enable the number to be transferred to a VoIP provider or other alternative. This would allow the existing user to keep the number. I would think in reality if implemented both moving to FTTP and transferring existing phone number would be done simultaneously. Only time will tell.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Total_Chaos 

I don't think it's that simple.

From what little I know it takes time to set up a VOIP account but once accepted the port is initiated on the date agreed. If for any reason the FTTP install is delayed then the number port would cancel the existing ADSL/ VDSL service as there would not be an associated land line for it.

This is for were an existing customer upgrades to FTTP. If transferring out to a new provider then both will happen together.

The problem with PN is their existing (legacy) system uses the land line number as the account identifier for providing the service. I assume when FTTP is installed the accout is transferred to a newer system, the land line rental (to BT Wholesale) is terminated and the number released.

The question is whether on not PN will have a working system in place in time to "Hold" the number for 30 days.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

little I know it takes time to set up a VOIP account but once accepted the port is initiated on the date agreed.

for info, its usually pretty instant to setup a voip account, its the port that takes the time. ISTR its a minimum of 7 days

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Until we know what Plusnet's system will be for porting after the OFCOM rules come in in April we are only guessing how things will work.

For instance, does the 31 calendar days allowed for retention of the number so that the customer can port it start on the day the order is placed for FTTP or on the day when the FTTP is installed ? If the former then delays to install of FTTP could well affect the viability of porting, but if the latter then there should still be time to retain the number and port to whichever VOIP provider suits. OFCOM do not seem to have defined the start of the period from anything I have read.

Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@bmc 

I don't think that it will have anything to do with PN but with OR.  From what I have read it is OR that retains the line number.  If we think how FTTC works it's copper to the fibre cabinet and then breaks out to the actual fibre line and the associated phone cabinet.  Each of those will have their own identifier so I would not think that it would be beyond all possibility that the phone identifier for you is retained once the FTTP is installed.  I cannot see anybody associating the four weeks to the proposed date and not the actual date.  However, where the issue could be is when you propose your phone number to be taken over on a specific date by a VoIP provider, but due to a delay by OR then the line and FTTC is terminated by the VoIP provider taking it over.  However it should not be impossible for this to be all set up prior so that when the FTTP goes in, then PN, or it could be OR, notifies the VoIP provider that they can start their service with that phone number. Those still using copper for both Internet and phone should also be covered by this scenario.

I can't see Ofcom allowing PN to do their own thing on this, or accept PN saying that we can't comply due to the way our system, database, etc functions.  All of this of course depends on what Ofcom decides to do and what is possible for OR. 

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I successfully ported my landline number from plusnet to VoIP without any problem.
The form I had to fill in included the following two questions:

Who is the current Range Holder?
Who is the Losing Communications Provider?

The last one was plusnet but the Range Holder was BT. So if we're porting the number from BT, are Plusnet creating a problem that has nothing to do with them?

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@npr wrote:

I successfully ported my landline number from plusnet to VoIP without any problem.
The form I had to fill in included the following two questions:

Who is the current Range Holder?
Who is the Losing Communications Provider?

The last one was plusnet but the Range Holder was BT. So if we're porting the number from BT, are Plusnet creating a problem that has nothing to do with them?

That seems to be quite straight-forward. Has anybody else followed the same process?

I think I'll still wait a month to see what PN will do.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In the past I've ported both my home landline number and a block of numbers for the office. I've only ever been asked for the Losing CP. That's all that should be needed, the porting company ought to be able to determine the Range holder from the number itself. If they're asking you for it, then theyre just being lazy!

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

In the past I've ported both my home landline number and a block of numbers for the office. I've only ever been asked for the Losing CP. That's all that should be needed, the porting company ought to be able to determine the Range holder from the number itself. If they're asking you for it, then theyre just being lazy!

Which VOIP provider did you use for porting the home landline number?

When I initially signed up for FTTP I opened an account with Sipgate. The upgrade to FTTP was cancelled due to losing my landline number but using a temporary number I got my Grandstream ATA working.

After reading the posts I contacted Sipgate relating the steps provided by @npr and their reply was interesing:

Unfortunately, sipgate can't port any numbers that are not currently in service because we are not affiliated with/we do not use the same porting platform as traditional providers such as BT, Virgin Media, etc.

So what are my options now? Any suggestions for a different VOIP provider?

batch2001

> Any suggestions for a different VOIP provider?

Although not free (< £2 a month, rolling contract), give Andrew and Arnold a look. It was who I am intending to port to.

You can always try before porting, and investigate the port process with their customer service. I'm not quite ready to do that yet so haven't got further information.
batch2001

(deleted)