cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Gigaclear

DaveYates

FTTP and Gigaclear

I've just been given notification that Gigaclear are installing their infrastructure in our area. We are quite remote in the countryside and even with I believe FTTC already but still a fair distance on copper, we currently struggle to achieve 10Mb download, often much lower, so streaming video (films/programs) at HD quality can often be impossible with it dropping to a lower quality, particularly if there is any contention with more than one concurrent user in the household. So consequently, I was very interested at the thought of FTTP and the Gigaclear solution.

I know Plusnet are owned by BT, but what are the chances of Plusnet ever becoming an ISP on the Gigaclear infrastructure, or do you think it will simply be a matter that I will have to leave Plusnet to use Gigaclear?

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: FTTP and Gigaclear

@DaveYates 

Do Gigaclear have a "wholesale" product for other ISP's? Even if they do I doubt PlusNet would offer it any time soon as there is no sign they're even considering OpenReach Wholesale FTTP.

The short answer I'm afraid is you'll probably have to leave PlusNet.

Brian

DaveYates

Thanks for your thoughts Brian @bmc. As far as I can see, Gigaclear are providing fully open access networks meaning any Internet Service Provider (ISP) can sell over their network should they choose to. The list of ISPs available on the network so far can be found at:

https://www.fastershire.com/faster-homes/gigaclear-isps

The infrastructure in our area is funded through the Fastershire project, stage 3 of that being with Gigaclear, to get to all residents and businesses in our area better broadband performance (min of 30Mb), the project is a conduit for Public funding to overcome the market’s failure to provide superfast broadband to the more remote areas.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@DaveYates  Gigaclear are a competitor to Openreach (and Vigin Media) and so are not available to all ISP's.

Looking on your link there is only one supplier that supplies services over Openreach and Gigaclear.

Until either Virgin or BT aquire Gigaclear they are likley to be  niche supplier.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The list of ISPs that resell Gigaclear that is on the Fastershire website is very out of date, and I believe that few if any of those listed have ever actually resold a Gigaclear connection. There is a list on the Gigaclear website that is probably more accurate.