cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP (and FTTC / ADSL) - Plusnet 'digital voice' coming?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: FTTP (and FTTC / ADSL) - Plusnet 'digital voice' coming?

Mark63
Rising Star

@flanzm wrote:
One other side effect of this I guess is referrals. If you set up a new account for FTTP then I guess all referrals will die with the old account.

Depending where you are in your present contract, you'll also be clobbered with early termination fees etc ?

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Just tried to order 500MBps, said I still needed a landline and get this message:

"We’re sorry but at the moment our Future Fibre data only packages don’t support a landline.

We do have some other great options for you."
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

This really depends on what 'Landline' means, to me a landline is a run of copper cable which you can connect landline services to, to others it might mean a landline phone number!?

Dan.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There’s the possibility of semantic confusion here. There’s a difference between there being a line and the support for your existing landline number.

FTTP will not deliver a “line” but there’s no reason why the voice service on your existing number needs to be lost.

Talk Talk Switzerland is very clear that it delivers voice services over VoIP alongside the broadband service. Talk Talk UK’s pricing has product X and product X DATA ONLY inferring one has a voice service and the other does not.

Edit: Dan typed faster…

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

I have been through the complete order wizard. There is no option to import an existing PSTN number that is active at the property. It specifically states this is data only, with no phone number.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Further research suggests it's in the trail stage, so the help pages I expect would be for that

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/05/talktalk-prep-uk-digital-voice-service-and-wi-fi-hub-2... 

Dan.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@Dan_the_Van you make a good point as it really is semantics as my landline is only my old original phone number being digitized and kept alive at no cost to me as its all fibre and VoIP via the BT Hub2 and because my landline extensions are cordless phones, no Digital Voice Adaptor has been used and no copper wire was used in connecting them anywhere.

To be totally honest, I don't use the landline much to make calls and being VoIP I've never been charged for a call or the service, but people still call me on my landline and leave messages, because I've had the same number for donkey's years and with a call-blocking phone, I get no scam callers. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

No cost? BT pricing suggests irs an extra £5 per month
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

If we switch to FTTP full fibre will it keep the same static ip address?

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

how do we switch, there's no option in the account area? Upgrade package doesn't have it

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You can only do it on the phone currently.

Call customer options on 0800 013 2632

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If we switch to FTTP full fibre will it keep the same static ip address?

In theory , yes. However, if retaining the same static IP is critical, then I'd hang on for a little while. There's a problem on some upgraded accounts under investigation where the account retains the static IP setting but RADIUS still allocates a dynamic one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

For anyone interested, prices are here

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/05/isp-plusnet-in-low-key-uk-launch-of-fttp-broadband-pac...

I'm just wondering if there is any way of transferring the landline number out to a digital line before upgrading to FTTP?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Basically , no. Transferring the number out will cease the landline, taking any broadband with it.

Once PN start offering  FTTP to new customers, it would be possible to open a new account for FTTP then once its installed , transfer the old number out ceasing the old broadband. However you would lose any email associated with the old account.