cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial questions

PowerfulPierre

FTTP Trial questions

What is the user feedback on the PlusNet FTTP trial?  Our neighbour is having FTTP installed (maybe with BT?) so there is a chance to connect to one of the 12 connections available.  But PlusNet say they do not offer an FTTP product.  All they suggest is joining the Plusnet FTTP trial.  Is this still ongoing?  If so, how long will it continue for?  What are the extra costs?  Is it worth taking part?

Our PlusNet copper (ADSL?) connection is so unreliable, with frequent drop-outs and a crackly phone line, that I`m sure fibre must be better.  We have FTTC but the cabinet is about a mile away.  Any advice out there? 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title after split to its own thread.

17 REPLIES 17
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: FTTP Trial

What does the DSL Checker say for your line?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Specifically does it say (in the left hand column) "WBC FTTP" or "FTTP on Demand"   - if the former it'll also say in a separate column "1 stage" or "2 stage"

Brian

martinjw1
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

been on FTTP for a few months now - very good, no problems, speed 30 - 40

PowerfulPierre

Thanks Brian.  The DSL checker says WBC FTTP and 1 Stage.  Is that good news or not? Smiley

bmc
Hero

Assuming you're a PlusNet customer it means your eligible to join the FTTP Trial and that the installation should take only one visit.

As it's a trial there's no real customer support as it's not integrated with the PlusNet back office systems. It also means that you cannot receive PlusNet TV (but you can get the BT Sport App).

This forum is the best pace for support as those PlusNet staff who have been trained in FTTP matters lurk on here.

The FTTP product and price is based on the FTTC service. I've been on FTTP since the beginning of November and had no problems (other than a couple of 5 minute down time) and speeds are nearly always near the top of the  "up to 38" product I'm on.

Once on FTTP you also have the option of giving up your phone line (if not required) as it's not required for FTTP. Note that while you'll save on line rental there is a £2.50 surcharge for internet only.

Brian

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: FTTP Trial questions

Moderator's note:

Split to its own thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I can confirm the FTTP trial is still ongoing. At this time we have no plans to stop providing FTTP.

The costs are Unlimited Fibre for £14.99, or Unlimited Fibre Extra for £19.99.

This is in addition to the costs of your phone service, but as Brian has mentioned you'll have an option to cease your phone line once the FTTP is installed, so you'd just be paying the fibre cost plus a surcharge of £2.50 per month.

If you would like to go ahead I'd recommend heading on over to http://trials.plus.net

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PowerfulPierre

Thanks Gandalf and Brian.  I'm edging towards signing up for the trial which, as I understand it, will cost no extra over my current Unlimited Fibre contract (actually, it's FTTC plus about a mile of copper cable, giving up to 17 Mbps), provided I keep the phone landline as part of it.  Can you please confirm that?  So far, so good.

What concerns me is what happens after the trial.  (And how long will the trial take?).  If the trial is successful, presumably I'll be able to upgrade to a FTTP contract, at a certain cost.  If I don't like that cost, can I still revert to my current FTTC contract at the same current cost?

If the trial is UNsuccessful, can I equally revert to my current FTTC contract, at my current cost?

That is, what are the downside risks of taking part in the trial?  Many thanks. 

bmc
Hero

@PowerfulPierre 

If you log in to your PlusNet Members page and then go to the trials link previously provided you'll find both a FAQ's page and the Terms & Conditions - you should read both.

If you go down the FTTP route you can cancel your phone line (if not required) once you're up and running. If you're in contract for the phone line there would / may be cancellation charges (more than offset by the savings to be made!!!)

If PlusNet know how long the trail will last and what happens afterwards they're not telling anyone - I suspect there's simply been no decision taken. It's not something to worry about unless (or until) it happens. I would suspect you'll have plenty of time to take any decisions required once any notification has been given.

Brian

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@PowerfulPierre

Well I've been on the trial since February 2013 and it has been ongoing since 2011 IIRC.

So it is just open ended currently.

If it ends and Plusnet do not release a commercial FTTP product, the T&C's says you can move to another Plusnet product (which for me would be 2Mbps ADSL) but as I'm out of contract, I would just leave for another FTTP provider.

I cannot see Plusnet ending it without creating a commercial product as BT want people to use FTTP. I think the thing holding it back at Plusnet is a) cost of staff training and b) the Plusnet computer systems cannot handle it. Once the new back office systems are working, then things MAY change.

As for pricing, no one knows but BT and Plusnet both currently charge the same for FTTP and FTTC for all of the less than 80Mbps products. And I don't see that changing as it is a way of getting people on board.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@PowerfulPierre wrote:

as I understand it, will cost no extra over my current Unlimited Fibre contract (actually, it's FTTC plus about a mile of copper cable, giving up to 17 Mbps), provided I keep the phone landline as part of it.  Can you please confirm that?

The FTTP trial will cost the same as FTTC would in your area. We have not decided what will happen post trial.

@PowerfulPierre wrote:

What concerns me is what happens after the trial.  (And how long will the trial take?).  If the trial is successful, presumably I'll be able to upgrade to a FTTP contract, at a certain cost.  If I don't like that cost, can I still revert to my current FTTC contract at the same current cost?

While I couldn't say how long the trial would continue on for, or confirm if/what FTTP products would be available if/when we started to provide FTTP as a standard service, if you don't want to continue on with an FTTP product if/when that became available as a standard offering, you'd be able to drop back down on to an ADSL or FTTC package.

@PowerfulPierre wrote:

If the trial is UNsuccessful, can I equally revert to my current FTTC contract, at my current cost?

That is, what are the downside risks of taking part in the trial?  Many thanks. 

If we decided not to proceed with offering FTTP as a full service while also disbanding the trial, you'd be able to downgrade back on to an ADSL or FTTC package.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@PowerfulPierre wrote:

Our PlusNet copper (ADSL?) connection is so unreliable, with frequent drop-outs and a crackly phone line, that I`m sure fibre must be better.

Have you reported a phone fault? The crackly line will be causing the broadband drop-outs.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PowerfulPierre

This sounds really crazy, but how do I actually sign up to the trial?  I've found the T&Cs and the FAQs, but how do I say "yes please"?

bmc
Hero

Decide which product you want - Unlimited Fibre (Up to 38) or Unlimited Fibre Extra (up to 76). Then click on the Trials link. this should bring up a Support Question form (or perhaps there's another link - can't remember).

Anyway, once you get to the form simply request to join the FTTP trial on your chosen package and submit.

It can take a few days for a FTTP trained staff member to respond. Keep an eye on your "ticket" using View my Questions in PlusNet support (you need to be logged in) and answer any responses received.

Brian

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Goto https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20

On this page click "FTTP Trail (Fibre To The Premises)"

On the resulting page, scroll down and look at the 5 questions

Please provide the answers to the questions below and we will start the ordering process for you.

1. To take part please confirm below that you've read and accept the Terms and Conditions for the trial (linked below).
2. Please tell us whether or not you prefer to be present for the external work and if so what dates you are available (if you need to be present please note there must be at least 7 working days between the external and internal appointments).
3. We will need to know the dates on which you will be available for the internal work (if you do not need to be present the external appointment will be booked for 7 working days before the internal appointment). Appointments are available Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm only
4. Please provide us with a mobile or contact number we can pass on to the engineer in case they need to contact you on the day.
5. Please specify which Plusnet Fibre product you want. Please note there may be a pro-rata fee for the difference between your current subscription and new subscription taken when your fibre install completes. 

Now answer the 5 questions in the box which says "Ask your question here" just below those questions.

Next add your mobile and email address into the boxes below as requested.

Finally scroll further down and click "Send your question to the support team"

And that is how you ask to join the FTTP Trial.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT