Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial cease phone and increase speed

FIXED
MartinLiddle
Hooked

FTTP Trial cease phone and increase speed

I have been on the Plusnet FTTP trial for a couple of years and have been very happy since the installation was finally completed.  (The actual installation process was a complete shambles due, it seemed to me, to the incompetence of Openreach in organising anything.)  The FTTP market seems to be showing some signs of becoming more competitive with EE (another BT subsidiary) now offering a 145Mb/s package for £36/month (for the first 18 months).  I would be happy to stay with Plusnet but I would like to terminate the phone line and if possible go from the 40/10 package I am currently on to 80/20.  Hopefully a Plusnet staff member can tell me what is possible and how to go about it.

8 REPLIES 8
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: FTTP Trial cease phone and increase speed

EE don't offer FTTP..

They do offer G.fast in both 150 and 300Mbps flavours and what you're seeing is their "Fibre Max 1" package (upto 150 Mbps G.fast) for £36.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@MartinLiddle 

You need to get someone like @Gandalf to respond to this. Few of the PlusNet advisors have been trained up in FTTP matters.

Although PlusNet no longer offer Internet only packages (you must take their phone service) it may still be possible on the FTTP Trial. If so, there's a surcharge of £2.50pm.

I think you're more out of luck on changing package. As it's a Trial (which stopped taking new customers nearly two years ago) I believe they don't accept package changes ie from 40/10 to 80/20 or vice versa.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @MartinLiddle 

I've created a support ticket on your account with some detail about removing your phone line. Could you review this and respond back to the ticket by going Here if you're happy to go ahead? 

For visibility though Unlimited Fibre (Without Phone) costs £20.49 per month and Unlimited Fibre Extra (Without Phone) is £25.49 per month, effectively £4.50 more than if you have a phone line with us although cheaper as you won't be paying line rental. This went up by £2 as part of our price refresh on the 3rd December 2019. 

We also can't recontract you or change your package while on the FTTP trial as it causes complications in our systems. The former also brings us in line with the trial terms and conditions where it advises there's no minimum term on the trial unless a contract is carried across from beforehand: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/fttp-terms/#charges

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MartinLiddle
Hooked

Thank you for the explanation.  I need to investigate the options before deciding on a way forward so will respond to the ticket when I have done my homework.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, sounds like a good idea Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@MartinLiddle 

There are a couple of easy parts to your research.

If you want greater speed than 80/20 then you need to move ISP.

If you don't want / need a landline then you're highly unlikely to get a better price than PlusNet.

The only possible downside to PlusNet is the router (a re-badged BT HH5) is not the best. However PlusNet are happy for you to use your own equipment.

Brian

MartinLiddle
Hooked

Just to wrap this thread up, I have now decided to stay with Plusnet for the time being and have replied to the ticket to cancel the phone line.

To answer some of the other issues raised:

The reason I mistakenly thought EE had an FTTP offering was that it came up as an option on several price comparison sites after entering post code (and the only other options were genuinely FTTP); I assume the system responsible isn't checking the status of the street cabinet.

I have been with Plusnet for a fair number of years and I have never used the Plusnet supplied routers which don't have the functionality I require: hence router choice is not a factor.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the post back @MartinLiddle 

Glad to see you're sticking with us Thumbs_Up I've arranged the cease now and I've added a reply to your ticket.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet