Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial Speedtest results - just plain wrong

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

FTTP Trial Speedtest results - just plain wrong

Last night the session to Plusnet reset at 01:13 so I ran a BTW Speedtest this morning to see it the new gateway was okay to use.

And the result was 368Mbps download speed (see attached) at 09:15 with results saved using further diagnostics. 

Other speed testers show a more reasonable 76Mbps but the BTW one was ran 5 minutes later and returned 392Mbps! And again with similar results later again.

All tests done on Chrome Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Something is amiss here.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: FTTP Trial Speedtest results - just plain wrong

The BT Wholesale speed checker is having a crazy time just recently with stupidly high readings, you know it's wrong so just accept that it's broken at the moment. I expect BT will sort it out but as to when..... who knows.Wink

SpendLessTime
Hero

Well I thought I would tell my ISP that the values that they insist that all customers provide when having speed issues is itself rubbish.

And if my ISP already knew of this issue then I would expect them to notify the customers that the speed tests are rubbish. A quick email would have been nice and pro-active. 

Especially from the ISP with the Best Customer Service 2018 Award.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Maybe PlusNet don't know its gone wrong and when have they ever been pro-active?

SpendLessTime
Hero

I was been a tad sarcastic but I'm sure you knew that.

So, as long as my line gets more than 8Mbps (real value) then Plusnet will have an excuse not to log a fault (assuming the speed at which a fault will be logged is 40Mbps on an 80Mbps line) as the BTW is showing speeds at least 5 times higher than they really are.

I wonder how many people are seeing excellent BTW test results as requested per the standard fault finding instructions and yet have a real fault but aren't logging it as the tester shows no speed issue?

Just for the removal of doubt, I have no speed related issue currently, I was just concerned for all customers.