Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial - 2 step install

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

FTTP Trial - 2 step install

For those that are on the list for FTTP BT are looking to trial a different install process. At the moment all of the installs they've done so far have taken over 8 hours to do with more than half lasting into a second day.
What they are looking to do is split the appointment up so they attend on 2 days. On the first day they'd come and do all of the external work laying the fibre from distribution point to the outside wall and on the second date they'd do the internal work and join up the fibre to the outside.
For the 1st appointment you wouldn't necessarily need to be available, it would only be needed if there were locked gates or access issues getting on to your property or if there's specific requirements around the location of where the external box needs to go or something like that.
Would any of you be able to try this process out?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
9 REPLIES 9
bigladuk
Grafter

Re: FTTP Trial - 2 step install

Yeap I can do that. There are no hurdles or obstacles to get to the outside of my house where the BT cables come in.
Any news from BT when they intend turning on Monkston Park ?
Si
jonnywishbone
Grafter

This is what happened to me!!!
dmle1
Dabbler

Happy to that if/when they get to me.  Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BT are hoping to be able to trial the 2 step process with a few orders from this week, if your cab is coming up to be enabled please could you have a think if you'd be able to try this out. For the next batch of invites I'll be asking if you could do this.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
bigladuk
Grafter

My Cab is due 13th Oct and I'm happy for this process 🙂
Si
jayp
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Dave
i am happy with this arrangement as well ; so long as the visits are scheduled in the morning.
thanks
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks guys, Si, I'll be in touch nearer the ready date.
Jay - I've sent a reply to your ticket with prospective dates, let me know what you think.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
jayp
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hello
I had a 2 step install booked in for the 7th and the 8th.
The initial appointment was to ensure connection was completed and presented from the relevant underground junctions (this is where the wholesale connection to the exchange terminates) right up to the manifold (this is the point where the sub-branch extends from the wholesale connection to the point just before a connection can be drawn for connection to your home) up to the front of the house.
With the underground ducting in place for the FTTP this in theory is a straightforward procedure of pushing the fibre through the ducts and then the intricate connecting (splicing) at the various junction points.
However it is rarely so simple and such was the case for me. The last duct from the manifold to the front of my house had a very severe bend for which pushing the cable was not possible as it showed up as a blockage despite various attempts. This meant the possible blockage had to be cleared by a civil engineering team which dug up the identified area, opened and repaired the bend for ducting to presented to the front of the house. This was only possible on the next day as it had to be booked in and the resource requested.
Once this was done the openreach engineer blew the fibre from the relevant junctions and ensured it was connected to the correct fibre at the relevant junctions. The fibre itself is very delicate and the strand that carries the data is less than a millimetre and is made from glass. There are 4 strands in each fibre although only one is used. The task of connecting and making perfect joints (splicing) is quite intricate.
The engineer had initially been allocated the task on his own but it was apparent that there was no ways he would have been able to finish it on his own. A second engineer was later provided who helped complete the cabling from the point inside the house right up to the point of presentation outside where the two fibre's could be joined. The cabling within the house can only be 30metres in length and the engineers are only allowed to present the cable from the exterior of the building (without going into the roof and attic). With my study on the other side this was near impossible without having ducting runninginside the house on the ceiling and the walls. I undertook to present the cabling for the engineers from the attic to the outside of the house from where they could continue the job further.
The last bit of connecting the two strands was the most time consuming and intricate to ensure that the strands did not get snagged.
Once this was done it was a case of connecting the ONT, powering it up and hooking it up to the router Dave had kindly sent in advance. I had taken the time to replicate all my port settings from my previous router in advance so it would be a simple case of transferring the cables and coming online instantly once the ONT became active. The engineer authenticated the ONT on his system and within less than 5 mins i was online.
From what i saw the engineers had to go through, i think the 2 step process is ideal as they are under significant pressure to complete and all the time is required without any hitches for them to be able to perform their task properly. Any break of the fibre for eg could possibly mean restarting the process all over again, the weather in turn also hampers their ability to perform especially if it is raining as the equipment they use for connecting the strands is susceptible to water. This whole process is still relatively new, the engineer that i had was amongst the first few in the country to have been trained but that was in March. The installations only started late July onwards and so far he had completed 6 live connections. The momentum is now gaining with more engineer's being trained and coming on line.  The second engineer had just finished his training and this was his first job. Both of them were incredibly polite and tried to help to the best of their ability, i cannot thank them enough, all it cost me was a few cups of tea. Neither of them even stopped for lunch and at the last minute their managers called to say they were coming to review the installation (which they eventually did not) so there was a lot of pressure on them.
I realise the 2 step instal can be inconvenient for the customer however it provides the best from a time aspect to get the job done properly, the first step tends to be on the outside so apart from an initial meeting one does not really need to take the time off work or be around all the time.

f513toy
Grafter

I had my FTTP installed yesterday - took the engineer from 8am to 5pm. All the work outside and inside the house was completed in the same dat. BUT, he couldn't get it to work becasue there was no traffic on the line. this seems to be a problem because I am the first in my area (Willen). The engineer spent the last couple of hours trying to find a PTO to come in and do their bit at the exchange to resolve the issue. Another engineer has been trying all day, today, to get the traffic issued resolved but again no PTO available. So no "superfast" broadband yet Cry
So, mine was a one step process that looks like it will take three or so days to complete because no one checked at the exchange first!