cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP No longer stable

philm
Dabbler

FTTP No longer stable

Since its past 10pm and I can't call, nor see how to raise an online support ticket, I thought I'd ask here until I am able to get around to speaking to someone direct.

My FTTP has been really good for nearly the last 2 years, but in the last month or so I have been experiencing more frequent dropouts, where my router has been frequently trying to reconnect.

I've tried resetting the router, and the ONT and it usually brings it back, but not always (it appears resetting the ONT has more luck, no red lights showing however).

When it is working it works well with decent SpeedTest results, no problems with speed dropping.

Any ideas what might be causing the instability on my line? It's becoming a bit of a pain!

(I note that sometimes the PlusNet supoort guys can show a graphic of the connection over time, I'd love to see that to visualise the drop outs, maybe its more frequent than I notice whilst at work etc).

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: FTTP No longer stable

Hi @philm,

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your connection. I've taken a look into your account today and upon reviewing your connection we're unable to detect any issues. I have included a graph of your connection over the last 2 weeks for reference.

As you can see, there have been a couple of drops in quick succession on the 10th and 7th of December, however based off of your comment, this looks like it's most likely due to the router being rebooted.

To help us narrow down where the issue may lie, I'd like to ask a couple of questions. Firstly, are the issues you're experiencing occurring through both Wi-Fi and ethernet connections? Secondly, do these issues occur across all of your devices.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
philm
Dabbler

Thanks Alex,

Maybe not as bad as first thought then, but always in the evening when my missus will notice as she watches a lot of streaming TV (connected by Ethernet).

When the connection drops it’s on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet. My router (ASUS RT-N66U) shows disconnected from WAN when this happens on the admin page, and attempts to reconnect itself.
The ONT lights all look normal (no red LOS etc).
There’s an outside chance it’s the router I guess then, I did a firmware update a few months back, but to be honest the thing has been solid for years (5 or so). Time for a new router soon anyway I think, but it’s encouraging that the FTTP link seems ok other than when I reset the ONT as part of a reboot all.
If it happens again soon I’ll leave the ONT alone and reboot router only and see what happens. I’m sure I did this before but to confirm....
philm
Dabbler

Gents,

I have had a spate of disconnections recently again, unlike before I have this time not touched my ONT and have only carried out router resets - so if the data shows disconnects it’s the ONT/line rather than the ONT being powered down/up...

I am suspecting it’s my router losing connection now rather than the FTTP service/ONT.

Is it possible you can check my stats over the last few weeks for dropouts again?

Many thanks for your assistance!
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @philm

I've just checked your connection and I'm seeing a handful of drops recently. As you can see here:

image15600896134626

With this in mind, firstly can you check your cables, reboot your router and ONT and see if that helps.

If not, the next step is raising a fault. You can do so HERE , letting us know here when you have done so.

Hope this helps

philm
Dabbler

Im now experiencing more frequent drop outs, multiple time a day everyday.

Not sure whether it’s the fibre line or ONT.

I tried to report it via the link buts it’s all set up around a DSL connection and not FTTP; as such it just says:

The problem you've identified on your phone line is the fault affecting your broadband.

Unfortunately as we're not your phone provider, we can't report or investigate this problem for you. Because of this, you'll need to contact your phone provider to report the problem.

I don’t even have a phone line! Just the fibre to the ONT and no phone service off of that even.

I can’t progress any further raising this as a fault it seems, if I pick up the phone later today will anyone have a clue as it’s FTTP Trial?

Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @philm I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing connection problems. When raising a fault for an FTTP connection, most of the questions the broadband troubleshooter system asks are irrelevant for this. 

On this occasion I'd personally have clicked the option that says your phone line is fine, then click through the best you can til you get to the end, you'd then be able to leave notes for us to read when we pick the ticket up.

To make things easier now, I've closed the broadband fault ticket you've raised last night as it was basically stuck in "We're not your phone provider" and I've manually created a new ticket for you to progress the fault.

You'll be able to view and reply to this by going Here. So I've tested your FTTP service and the tests aren't showing any issues, but then again when testing FTTP we generally can only see if the connection is working or not working altogether.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTP_SERVICE_0000
Description No Fault in FTTP Service
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status Up
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
DP Type External
RRT Report Summary
Confirmed FRC from RRT TOK
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Transmitted Traffic 0.2 Mbps 1.1 Mbps 0.3 Mbps
Received Traffic 0.0 Mbps 31.2 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Downstream Policing Discards 0.00 0.00 0.00
Upstream Policing Discards 0.00 0.00 0.00

Looking at a copy of your connection over the past 7 days (Below) I don't believe this is worthy of us arranging an engineer as our suppliers would generally deem an intermittent connection to be 3 drops within 24 hours or 6 drops within 72 hours.

Having said that, I know you've said you get drops several times a day and our logs don't always pick up every drop for a fibre connection so based on what you've said, there's likely more we're not seeing.

I'm inclined to agree with you when you say your router may be faulty in the sense that while your router may not be in fact faulty I think it's a good idea to try another to rule that out before we go down the path of an engineer.

If you'd want, I'd be happy to send you a free Hub One, let me know and I'll arrange this.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet