Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - Moving number to a VOIP Provider

dazrog
Grafter

FTTP - Moving number to a VOIP Provider

Hello,

My phone line contract with plusnet is coming to an end. Due to the rising costs, and not using it much (but is needed due to bad mobile signal!) I am looking to move it to a cheaper provider, and VOIP seems to fit. Please could you advise if there are any extra costs per month, for keeping plusnet FTTP but not having a landline?

Also, if I was to move the line, how would I do that? Just ask the new provider to move it and then it cease automatically with plusnet, or do I need to let plusnet know in advance?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP - Moving number to a VOIP Provider

@dazrog wrote:

Hello,

Please could you advise if there are any extra costs per month, for keeping plusnet FTTP but not having a landline?.

PN will add an extra £2.50 per month to whatever you're paying for your FTTP for not having a PN phone line.

dazrog
Grafter

Thanks. I take it I would still keep any discounts on my broadband account, as I would be keeping that part?

How would I move the number? Do i need to let plusnet know that I am moving it but keeping the FTTP,  or just instruct the VOIP provider to move it and the phone contract ceases automatically?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@dazrog wrote:

I take it I would still keep any discounts on my broadband account,

What discounts are you referring to?  I'm just curious as to how to get discounts on FTTP!

Or do you mean referrals?

dazrog
Grafter

Hi,

I have a small discount on my account as the wrong speed was provisioned when I first signed up to FTTP.

Do you work for plusnet?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

OK, thanks.

No I don't work for PlusNet, sorry if my username may have given that impression.  When I choose usernames on various sites I try to use something related to the name of the site so my brain cell doesn't have too hard a job remembering!  Wink

dazrog
Grafter

No problem.

Just waiting on a member of the plusnet team for advice now then 🙂

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As regards moving the number. Just get the voip provider to transfer the number, that will automatically cease the line. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dazrog
Grafter

Thanks. Just need plusnet to confirm my broadband costs/discount would remain.

Also, are there any plans to roll out the BT fibre voice access service, (FVA) effectively VOIP, on plusnet?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@dazrog - If discounts were added as a gesture of goodwill, you should keep them (Which I believe applies to you from what I've said. However I don't believe we'd offer any additional discounts on a new contract if you only have broadband with us.

The additional £2.50 for broadband only would also be applicable, as mentioned by @RobPN.

If/when you do decide to move the phone service away, would you mind giving me a nudge shortly after the service leaves us, just so I can ensure the account is as it should be and won't be closed by automation due to the line/number migrating off the BT network.

Unfortunately there are no plans for FVA at the moment.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
dazrog
Grafter

Hi HarryB,

Thanks for the reply. I will send you a PM shortly just to confirm what I think should happen.

Darren

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

No problem. What you've said in the PM is correct for the remainder of the time the discount is in place Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet