Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP IPv6 and ingress connections

FIXED
ebcenjde3d
Fixes: 1

FTTP IPv6 and ingress connections

Hi,

Hoping a Plusnet techie will pick this up - I think I have found a community answer.

Just had FTTP installed today after > 9 mostly happy years with Plusnet on FTTC.

1. IPv6 appears not to be a thing with Plusnet still.  Is this correct?  I think I have found a community answer to this which is disappointing (but not the end of the world) - would appreciate confirmation from Plusnet please, especially if there are plans to improve on this situation.

2. I cannot establish a connection from internet towards domestic IP address (yes, I know it is a dynamic IP, I can cope with that and have been for many years).  Do Plusnet actively block ingress connections on FTTP services or could it be the (Adtran) ONT which is blocking this?

Many Thanks

Richard

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: FTTP IPv6 and ingress connections

1. Correct, and I haven't any info about when/if the situation may change. The ambition is still there I believe, but I haven't any dates I can share.

2. No we don't and the ONT won't be doing any blocking either. What exactly is it you're trying to do?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Do Plusnet actively block ingress connections on FTTP services or could it be the (Adtran) ONT which is blocking this?

No. I use my fttp with incoming vnc and openvpn connections. OK, I have a static ip, but AFAIK there's no difference. So with DDNS  a dynamic ip should work. The ONt is basically a fibre modem so has no blocking  functionslity

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ebcenjde3d
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks both.

Sorry - I've woken up now - cannot be the ONT because PPPoE is terminated on my router (the same one as before the upgrade).... Doh.

Anyway, seems to be working now.  I assumed earlier the traffic must be blocked externally because tcpdump of the pppoe interface on the router showed no externally established connections were arriving (not even any port scans) and dynamic dns was resolving the new IP address at the time.  No idea what has changed, but issue over.  I guess I should have waited longer...

Thank you for your help.

Richard

PAPED
Dabbler

New FTTP products and still no IPV6 - really!

Plusnet told ISP Review it would be here in 2022 and still nothing. Looks like I will not be upgrading to Plusnet FTTP and going elsewhere once my contract is up, as fed up of the "it's coming" line, especially when you were one of the first to trial it 10 years ago now.