Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - Data useage

PaulStunt
Dabbler

FTTP - Data useage

Hi,
I was curious to know what sort of data the guys with FTTP are getting through, especially when I read, with envy, the fantastic speeds many are getting.
I am waiting for my fibre to be installed but it has been slightly delayed and whilst I try and wait patiently as possible I started to wonder what amount of data others are getting through. Now I do appreciate that this is a trial and therefore at this stage there are no packages to sign up to yet for fibre and therefore your ADSL package rules are still in effect,  but I am guessing many have stuck with the pro package to make the most of the speed. Of course this has to be weighed up against the reduced limit of 20GB where as the Extra package is 60GB but has reduced speeds.
Personally, I have chosen the pro as I need to have the ability to take advantage of the speeds at during the day and early evening but even though I do not use file sharing I reckon I will still have to keep a close eye on the amount of data I am getting through, otherwise it could start getting very expensive pretty quickly.
Paul
13 REPLIES 13
ChrisF

Re: FTTP - Data useage

Hi,
I'm still on a very old package (Broadband Premier) Peak 4pm till Midnight, 7 days a week.
Last month I did just over 91Gb with only 16Gb being at peak times.
PaulStunt
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for that. I can see why you have kept hold of the old package with the peak hours being 4pm - midnight.
How much of the 91 GB was during the night ?
Until there are packages to deal with Fibre, which I guess wil be a while yet, I am trying to work out which package is best for my needs.
I do not use filesharing software and the like but as I often work from home I rely on VPN and often in the evenings. That coupled with the restricted download speed of the Extra package has steered me towards the pro package and having to pay the extra when I go over my limit. Which I undoubtedly will.
I think I will just have to see how it goes but I would be interested to hear how anyone on the Extra package is finding things ?
Thanks
Paul
ChrisF

75Gb was during the night.
rtjones2
Dabbler

I am on the extra package but have decided to upgrade to pro based on the download speeds even if you dont use file sharing you are still restricted on speeds from download servers such as microsoft update which to me makes the whole fibre speed advantage pointless as i have to plan my usage around expected speed resyrictions to get the most out of the trial. I am looking forward to the end of the  month when my pro pack kicks in. The speed is fantastic as i even get 10mbs connection on my phone which has trasformed web applications on
PaulStunt
Dabbler

I dont go live until next week sometime ( hopefully as there have been some network issues ) but it sounds like that pro is the way to go for now. Even if it is going to cost quite a bit more  Roll_eyes
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Pro on market 3 is £16.49, just a fiver more than Extra.
Schedule your downloads overnight and you're all good Smiley
PaulStunt
Dabbler

Thanks Ben,
I am very happy with the pro price but my challenge will be holding back as I will be like a child in a sweet shop with those speeds. Too many years of a 0.25 mb/s ADSL line and having to rely on 3G.
ChrisF

Wow
£16ish for the Pro, Bargain!!
As i am on the older packages i am paying £21 a month!!
This does give me peak times are only 8 hours a day and not 16 hours a day (pro Package)
ericparker

I'm on FTTC but I think this is still relevant.
My speeds are ~ 35Mb/s down and 6.7Mb/s up.
It was installed on Monday (no problems).
Last night I decided to watch some internet football using sopcast.
I selected a 850Kb/s stream and set it off.
Very quickly the buffer filled and I was able to watch a quite reasonable picture.
I've written a simple piece of code that gets the ppp0 byte counts from the Netgear router WVR1000v2.
So when the video streaming was running I checked the figures.
I was downloading ~ 100KB/s and was uploading ~ 1MB/s
Very impressive - but after a couple of hours of this I would have used ~ 8GBytes of my monthly 20GBytes.
I need some way of making the up/down ratio more balanced if I want to use sopcast etc.
Nothing appears to be available within the router.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Eric
matt_2k34
Grafter

Eric,
if your running a windows machine, id recommend taking a poke at something like .. Netlimiter
Your connection is the "dream" for services like this, providing everyone else with the stream Smiley
What i would recommend, is setting it so you do not send out too much (netlimiter allows limits to be set per process, very handy!)
My speeds are ~ 35Mb/s down and 6.7Mb/s up.

oh how i hate you  Cheesy Wink
ericparker

Thanks for that Matt.
I'll probably end up using NetBalancer as I'm only trying to limit 1 process.
Data usage (combined with usage caps) gives us something else to consider when we can move data at these higher speeds.
There'll be a few individuals get caught out with this in the near future.
Eric
matt_2k34
Grafter

No problem,
Netlimiter does by process too, also it splits it down afterwards (by IP per process) quite clever really.
never used netbalancer so cant help
And indeed, but hopefully the Fibre products that PN sell, HOPEFULLY you wont need to pay for a copper line  (I wouldnt mind paying £30/monthly just for a fibre connection Smiley - but i doubt bt will allow that :()
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

At the moment the fibre and copper products are completely separate. For the trial we made the decision that to take part you need to have an active broadband service on the copper with us and active PSTN (not necessarily with us). At the end of the trial you'll be able to cancel the broadband but you'd need to keep the copper voice service. At some point BT will launch a voice product on the fibre which will mean you will be able to cancel the copper voice and take the fibre voice.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology