Did you mean: 

FTTP Availability

FIXED
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

FTTP Availability

Hi,

Does PN have any plans in the next few months to launch a product for FTTP.

I have checked my phone number on the BT checker and my number appear to have FTTP available.

I don't really want to move from PN, the Fibre product I have is reasonable and I quite like the TV service, but as we move forward more and more devices are smart I am finding even standard fast Fibre is struggling sometimes and when I get to the end of my contract i would like to move on to FTTP.

I know PN had an FTTP trial that ran for sometime, I would hope they gathered enough info to now offer a package.

29 REPLIES 29
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: FTTP Availability

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved to Fibre To The Premises Trial.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @DaveCW thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately there's no news we'd be able to share at this regarding our plans on the future of FTTP with us.

Having said that I've checked your line and FTTP isn't available in your area. The type of FTTP you're seeing as available is 'On Demand' which very few providers offer due to very high installation costs.

There's an explanation Here on the differences between FTTP and FTTP On Demand.

I've also tested your line today and we're detecting what's known as a "Loop (Rectified)" fault which is a bit like a short circuit somewhere and is likely going to be causing performance issues with your service.

Assuming you're still using the Openreach Modem and Hub Zero router combination connected into your master phone socket, I think it'd be a good idea for us to send you a new modem/router to rule out any issues with your existing equipment.

Before I order the new router let me know if you are using the equipment we've provided in the past or your own?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

I am not using the BTOR Modem as it was getting very warm and speeds were getting low, I am also not using the PN Provided router as it went with the modem. I am currently using a NetgearAC1600 Modem Router.

My speed has reduced from when i first got Fibre, but this happened at the same time as i renewed my contract in May 2018 and subscribed to Youview. The Netgear router has stabilised things as On Demand Services TV Services were dropping out. 

TBH I thought that BTOR had probably throttled  my service, I did report this but the people I spoke to said there was no issues.

PS shame about the FTTP! 

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

Just to add to my last post, I do use a Call Blocker as my wife was getting distressed with the amount of unsolicited calls she was getting. Would a call blocker cause the issues you see at you end on my line?

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

I have currently got the BTOR Master socket face plate off a Micro filter plugged in and just my Modem connected to that. With my laptop wired to the Modem I am getting around 50Mbs Down & 14Mbs up. Could you test my line again and see if the fault you mentioned is still there. if it is The fault should lye with BTOR, If not it may be my extension. Either way the speeds I am getting are still low. When I first got fibre i was getting nearly 70Mbs down and 20Mbs Up. I will keep plugged in to the test point for 24 hrs

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @DaveCW 

Ah I had an inkling you might’ve been using your own equipment based on how long it has been since we last provided your modem/router.

Having said that I’ve known a 10 year old router still work as good as the day it was bought. The phrase they don’t make them like they used to springs to mind!

Using a call blocker will have no effect on your line although it’s not uncommon for a phone handset to cause a loop fault if it’s faulty that is. 

I’ve left the office now but I’m happy to test your line for you tomorrow morning and report back the results afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @DaveCW Line tests aren't showing any issues now with your router getting a line speed of 62mbps. You may have had higher speeds in the past but as you're still above the current expectations of your line at 49mbps, I'd imagine we'd struggle to report a fault to our suppliers solely based on this.

With regards to the fault we detected before and not now, if you can put the faceplate back on and set things up the way they were I'd be happy to retest your line again to see if the fault still exists or has cleared. It's also not uncommon for this type of fault to clear by the act of unplugging cables etc as a loop fault can sometimes just be caused by a loose connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf,

As requested i have put it all back the way it was ready for retest. fingers crossed the fault has gone.

Cheers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately we're seeing that 'Loop (Rectified)' fault again now.

Looks like something's up with the internal wiring. ☹️

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf

Excellent I know where to Start. I will check the wiring. tomorrow and get back to you. The extensions are not in use i may well just disconnect them. 

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

I have disconnected my extensions from the master socket. if the fault is still there I can only think the issue is either my Phone & Call blocker, the phone socket doubler or the face plate it self.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dave,

Looks like we've got a bit more ruling out to do as we're still seeing that Loop (Rectified) fault.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveCW
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf, 

I hope I may have found the issue..... I noticed that the phone socket doubler was loose.  My set up is currently, Extensions are disconnected from the master socket, my router is connected to the filtered port on the Faceplate, the phone socket has a new doubler fitted in to which my cordless phone base and Call blocker are in one outlet and my alarm is connected to the other (Sorry i forgot about the alarm). I don't experience noise on the line or any other such issue. I am hoping that the double socket adaptor was the issue as it appears to be damaged and lose internally. I am confident that internal wiring is not the issue as the fault is apparent with this disconnected. If not this may take some tracking down.

Thankyou for your help so far 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @DaveCW

I'm afraid that our testing is still showing an loop fault.

Is it possible for you to disconnect everything including the faceplate itself so we can retest?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team