cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC to FTTP

davidklyne2

FTTC to FTTP

I hope I have put this in the right place, apologies if not. I have been a Plusnet customer for many years and I currently have a FTTC connection. Whilst Openreach do have FTTP in Milton Keynes it is not universal over the City and not available to me as far as I know. A couple of years ago City Fibre started to lay fibre across Milton Keynes including where I live. It has come to my notice that City Fibre have started to allow third parties to use their fibre network in a similar that Openreach does with Sky,TalkTalk etc. So my question two fold. Is it likely that Openreach will install FTTP to areas which can currently only get FTTC or is there a possibility  that they might enter into an agreement City Fibre?

Thanks

David

7 REPLIES 7
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: FTTC to FTTP

@davidklyne2 wrote:
So my question two fold. Is it likely that Openreach will install FTTP to areas which can currently only get FTTC or is there a possibility  that they might enter into an agreement City Fibre?

Unfortunately not a straightforward question to respond to in your favour..   BT / Openreach   have many plans to extend FTTP to both FTTC existing areas and to more rural areas.  Most of these plans are focussed on  controlled removal of copper based services  by 2030  (more likely 365 or later).  Not at MY PC   to lookup good URL's for you to look up.  Sad

So, some optimism based on your location..  The bad news is that Plusnet have not yet indicated any positive moves to supply FTTP services to Users, so getting a faster service will need a change of ISP.                                          

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peterhr
Rising Star

I do wonder if this is a corporate attempt to push Plusnet customers to migrate to BT

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@peterhr It is, but it wouldn't work for me 😀 - I'm moving to an independent provider who will offer me FTTP over the BT infrastructure, if and when they ever get round to installing it.

John
davidklyne2

I am perhaps unusual in that I have two lots of internet to the house. My standard FTTC fibre and phone is supplied by Plusnet. I also have a fast fibre connection via the City Link network run by Vodafone. At some point I have to decide between the two. If Vodafone had the same level of customer service as Plusnet it would be an easy choice. The crux is that I want to keep my landline number. This couldn't be done initially but that situation has changed but I have in the past run into difficulties with porting it over so have for the time being carried on with both suppliers. Landlines on copper wires are going to cease to exist within five years so that is an added complication. If Openreach are not able/willing to offer FTTP in the reasonably near future it would seem silly not to change to the City Link system. I was hoping that Plusnet could see this as an opportunity to extend they offer?

David

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@davidklyne2 Definitely a strange (and expensive) set up, but that's your choice.😉

Porting the LL number shouldn't be a problem - IF both the losing and gaining providers follow OFCOM guidelines, and don't stuff it up - which is a distinct possibility.

I would agree that BT intend to do away with the PSTN network at some point, although I am not convinced of the five-year plan, these things never run to schedule.

If you do not have BT FTTP at the moment,do you know when it may become available. Plusnet (in their current guise as the cheap BT brand) will not be offering FTTP any time soon - a BT Group decision.

John
peterhr
Rising Star

Get yourself Grandstream ATA (Analog Telephone Adaptor) you plug one int into your router the phone gets plugged into the ATA (needs an adaptor RJ11 - BT Phone socket)

set yourself up a free sipgate basic account - calls are under 2p a minute (incl most of europe, usa etc), no call setup fees 

They will give a local phone number for free (useful for testing)

Once you're happy pay Sipgate £30 to port your phone over to them - that will require a different login / password on sipgate (easy to change, or get a two port ATA and configure the other port)

Now it doesn't matter who's internet service you use - your phone will work.  You can even put a voip app on your phone to do calls like from home while on holiday if you have internet (just unplug the grandstream while doing it)

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@peterhr wrote:

Once you're happy pay Sipgate £30 to port your phone over to them - that will require a different login / password on sipgate (easy to change, or get a two port ATA and configure the other port)

Now it doesn't matter who's internet service you use - your phone will work.  You can even put a voip app on your phone to do calls like from home while on holiday if you have internet (just unplug the grandstream while doing it)

@peterhr 

AIUI, there's actually no need to unplug your home device when using Sipgate via an app on your mobile as they allow multiple devices to be simultaneously registered/connected (from multiple locations if required).

It's been a while since I checked so I'm not sure if there's a limit to that number, but I've had three devices connected to and working simultaneously on one of my Sipgate Basic accounts (DrayTek 2920Vn VoIP router, Gigaset N300-IP and CSipSimple phone app).

All devices ring for incoming calls, and the first to pickup gets the call.

Edit:  typo