FTTC box overheating

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC box overheating

lexusuk
Grafter

There haven't been any announcements on this yet.  I agree that it would be useful from a diagnostics point of view.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: square

This might not be relevant to your problem but:
I had an extension cable with a new master socket fitted by BT when I got ADSL originally. When I had fibre
fitted I was told it couldn't be done at this master socket as I had telephone points running from before
the extension cable and hence before the master socket. Perhaps you also have and this is causing your problem.

@ square,
I had considered that as a potential issue.
I have double-checked inside the sockets (just to be sure).
The FTTC engineer had connected my extension cable directly to the incoming line & fitted the new master socket at the other end of my extension cable.
He had then connected 2 more wires inside my extension cable from the filtered part of the new master socket back up to the old position.
So, what was originally the master socket really is now a filtered extension.
At the time, the engineer did mention that I would not need to use any phone filters as the extension socket was already filtered.
So, in my case, it looks like the phones are picked up before the master socket, but in reality, they are actually after the master socket.

Paul.
Force9Original
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
Sadly we don't have any documentation on how the DLM for FTTC actually works yet so I can't tell you how long it should take for the speed to return to normal.

The code used to be :?:
Good Threshold=Default Good
Threshold2*EXP(Delay Doubler)
Poor Delay Counter = Good Delay
Counter =0

*Default Good Threshold set to 13  (14 days)
Default Poor Delay is 3                       (3 days)
Delay Doubler set to 0                  (incremented 0 -5)

Cheers
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

@ Alex Rolls
Hi Alex,
Just wondering if you have had chance to read through the feedback from yesterday's PSTN engineer visit(s).
(Question #45613819)
It unfortunately appears that the issue is not yet resolved.
FYI, my IP Profile is currently only 12065 K, & as we are all aware, I cannot obtain any other statistics from the BT modem.
Paul.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Baldeagle1,
Your line is configured for a maximum speed of 22.4Mbps currently but the modem is only achieving approximately 12Mbps.  I've set the ball rolling for a broadband engineer to visit as per the previous telephone engineer recommendation.  If you can update your support ticket with date and times of availability i'll get this booked for you.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Thanks Alex,
I have just received the text message.
I'll provide some dates shortly.
Paul.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Hi Baldeagle1,
Your line is configured for a maximum speed of 22.4Mbps currently but the modem is only achieving approximately 12Mbps.  I've set the ball rolling for a broadband engineer to visit as per the previous telephone engineer recommendation.  If you can update your support ticket with date and times of availability i'll get this booked for you.

Hi Alex,
Dates have been added to the ticket, Thursday 25th (am) being the preference.
Paul.
lexusuk
Grafter

Your support ticket has been updated. 
BT have arranged for an engineer to check your line automatically in response to the fault I raised.  This engineer is however not a home visit engineer but may be able to resolve the fault externally.  This task should take 24 hours so I will monitor for updates until tomorrow and if needs be I will arrange a site visit engineer to progress this fault further for one of the specified times.
alanbell1

well I am happy now, an engineer visited with a new openreach modem in hand, he told me he had replaced over 30 of the things in the last couple of weeks, all had been initially placed flat and not wall mounted. The new one is a model 2B and does not seem to be particularly warm after an hour or so of use. I now have nice fast and hopefully stable broadband, with no great big fan on all the time. Now I just need my static IP address and I will be all set!
lexusuk
Grafter

Excellent news.  I was not expecting the engineer to visit your premises but occasionally the local network engineers will do this if it is deemed necessary.
Let us know if you require further assistance.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Your support ticket has been updated. 
BT have arranged for an engineer to check your line automatically in response to the fault I raised.  This engineer is however not a home visit engineer but may be able to resolve the fault externally.  This task should take 24 hours so I will monitor for updates until tomorrow and if needs be I will arrange a site visit engineer to progress this fault further for one of the specified times.

@ Alex Rolls,
Hi Alex,
I have added some condensed feedback from this morning's visit to ticket No. #45613819, along with a somewhat expanded version in the Kitz forum.
Are you able to confirm what happens next?
The engineer said that Plusnet would have to reset something to re-enable the previous high speeds.
Paul.
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT infinity is turning out to be a joke or even a con. Their infinity forum is awash with complaints about overheating modems and stuck FTTC profiles. My own overheating modem was replaced and almost 2 months later my intial speeds of 34mbps never recovered despite 3 engineer visits. It is now at 14mbps, less than the 16-18 I had under ADSL2+.  So have I been conned into paying for a FTTC extra pro at £29 expecting better when I could be gettting the same speeds under ADSL2+ at £11.49?
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity ;
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Dev
BT infinity is turning out to be a joke or even a con. Their infinity forum is awash with complaints about overheating modems and stuck FTTC profiles. My own overheating modem was replaced and almost 2 months later my intial speeds of 34mbps never recovered despite 3 engineer visits. It is now at 14mbps, less than the 16-18 I had under ADSL2+.  So have I been conned into paying for a FTTC extra pro at £29 expecting better when I could be gettting the same speeds under ADSL2+ at £11.49?
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity ;

Hi Dev,
I started a forum thread here:-
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9726.0.html
Are you suffering regular disconnections/reconnections?
It could just be that an intermittent fault on your line has been causing them that has resulted in the FTTC's DLM deciding that your line just isn't good enough to support higher speeds and/or believing you have a very long line from the cabinet to your home.
With persistence from me, aided by advice from an installation engineer's advice in the Kitz forum, I eventually got BT to run "proper" tests on my line (not the usual ones that always ended up in LTOK - Line Tests O.K.)
One serious fault was found & fixed.
My profile is currently stuck at 22 Mb & BT may now be doing a lift & shift, or even connecting my line to new, not stuck equipment.
Plusnet, Alex in particular, have been supportive throughout, but they can only go on the information provided by BT.
I would have given up without the advice from the Kitz forum.
My problems started in early July, but I now hope they will be resolved once & for all within the next few days.
Our largest difficulty by far is that we just cannot obtain connection statistics from the BT modem that would highlight line "issues" at a much earlier stage.
I will be posting the hopefully successful outcome in this forum & also in the Kitz forum.
Good luck with your own issues, but don't give up just yet.
Paul.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Bald_Eagle1,
Your support ticket has been updated.  As per the ticket we will need to monitor the line over the next 24 hours to allow the DLM reset to complete which the engineer initiated.  I will contact you tomorrow if any further action is required.