Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - VPN setup and Netgear WNR1000

myke2011
Dabbler

FTTC - VPN setup and Netgear WNR1000

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked searching for 'VPN' brought back loads of threads not about the Netgear though.
I know this question is not strictly about FTTC but because it's about the Netgear WNR1000 I thought it should go here as everyone else is still on the thompson adsl router I believe. - If a mod needs to move this that's cool.
What I want to know is can the Netgear WNR1000 be setup to become a hardware VPN gateway (probably not), if not what pieces of hardware would I need to do this.
The reason I want to setup a VPN is because I have a NAS that I want to open up to remote access, but the device doesn't support HTTPS so I was thinking a VPN would be a good solution. I do not want to have to leave PC on with a software VPN solution running. Ideally I want a hardware VPN solution. But I am open to suggestions. Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
jedi98
Grafter

Re: FTTC - VPN setup and Netgear WNR1000

No the WNR1000 does not do VPN client / server.
I use a Draytek vigor 2820n for this purpose. Note that this is a dual wan ethernet / adsl router because I bought it when I still had ADSL. There are other Draytek models that do not have the ADSL modem in, but they are not always cheaper. Generally the 28 series is ADSL, the 29 series is ethernet only. The 21 series is cheaper but only has VPN client not server.
http://www.draytek.co.uk
http://www.transparent.uk.com/acatalog/Draytek.html
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/
Netgear do pro-safe firewall VPN routers which don't seem too bad, medium reviews.
Linksys do one called "rvs4000" but it has some very bad reviews.
myke2011
Dabbler

Many thanks for your reply. Great help.  Smiley
Just tried to setup port forwarding on the Netgear router and can't seem to get it to work. Anyone any ideas?
(again I know it's not FTTC related exactly but I feel the people in this board will know about the Netgear router)
Cheers
jedi98
Grafter

What service (port) are you trying to forward? I've not tried forwarding on the netgear but I know the main pitfalls so I'll give it a shot working it out in theory from the manual.
myke2011
Dabbler

Thanks again.
Its port 8081 at the moment, to be honest I can change it if need be. But Im sure this should work.
Just to say it worked fine this morning with my ADSL thompson router so I know port forwarding worked fine on that router.
I just had FTTC installed a few hours ago that's why I'm trying to get my netgear working.
jedi98
Grafter

So, it's unlikely that 8081 will clash with anything on the router by default. I take it that you did something like this: -

• Select Port Forwarding/Port Triggering under Advanced

• Add Service

• Service Name: somename

• Service Type: TCP

• Starting Port: 8081

• Server IP address: (local server address)

• Apply

The main point that seems unclear in is whether you are supposed to leave "Ending Port" blank or set it to 8081
myke2011
Dabbler

thanks for your help.
I took a break and came back to it.
just for information the cause was human error (as normal).
because I had the devices setup on my old router they were setup to look for the default gateway and dns of 192.168.1.254. The netgear is 192.168.1.1
quick change of these settings and jobs a good one.
thanks for your help though real appreciated
jedi98
Grafter

Ah... yes, that wold do it.  Probably would have caught me out on that one too. Though for my own reasons I always set my routers to 192.168.x.10, not having any router manufacturer telling me what address to use  Wink  I backed away in horror when I saw what one of those Thompson affairs would not let me do.