cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Usage

fa55
Community Veteran

FTTC Usage

I'm on the value product, as well as the trail, am I restricted to the same usage as before (8gb I believe), I would have thought since I'm also paying an increase per month that usage would increase?
11 REPLIES 11
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: FTTC Usage

I think Plusnet have said that they think that everyone on the trial who is actually paying for fibre (the extra £12) will be better off on the new product (at £10), so will shift them over.
That should automatically put you on the 40MB pm "Value Fibre"  product.
I'm sure there was something in the FAQs about the trial, but there's nothing there now.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
phil4
Grafter

When you joined the trial you should have been moved (if you weren't already on) either "Value" or "Extra", which provide limits of 10Gb or 60Gb.
Now the commercial fibre product has launched you can change/upgrade to "Fibre Value" or "Fibre Extra", which provide 40Gb or 120Gb.
I believe that for the short term you'll remain on the old "Value"/"Extra", until you chose to upgrade.  In the slightly longer term I wouldn't be at all surprised if anyone who hadn't already upgraded, was moved onto the corresponding "Fibre" product.
My view of this, is that as WWWombat says, moving to the "Fibre" variant should:
1) Save you £2 per month,  (£10 extra per month as oppose to £12 on the trial).
2) Provide you with much more appropriate bandwidth restrictions, eg. Youtube between 8pm and 10pm is limited to 2.5Mbps on Value, and 5Mpbs on Fibre Value.
3) Provide you with the increased allowance, 20Gb on Fibre Value vs 10Gb on Value
The only downside as I see it is, that by moving you're agreeing to an 18month contract.
WWWombat
Grafter

Not sure about the 18-month part... I've seen a lot of mentions that the 18month limit doesn't apply to triallists who are re-arranging their packages.
Those mentions are probably in the thread over on the announcements board, but there have been a variety of other threads too. I'm also pretty sure there were trial-related questions in the FAQ that covered these, but they've gone - though that's probably right, as it just confuses the situation for most new sign-ups.
I also disagree that swapping to the equivalent fibre package is a "no-brainer" improvement. For example, there are one or two places where the day-long restrictions are set to 5Mb, which is worse than my current non-restriction on ADSLmax.
I'll wait and see... but there's a possibility I would choose the "Value Fibre" + Pro option instead of the "Extra Fibre" product, as cost-equivalent.
Plusnet Customer
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The last two questions in the fibre launch FAQ refer to costs and contract implication for free trial and commercial (paid) trial users changing to the new products.
David
phil4
Grafter

spraxyt, I sit corrected.
Quote from: WWWombat
I also disagree that swapping to the equivalent fibre package is a "no-brainer" improvement. For example, there are one or two places where the day-long restrictions are set to 5Mb, which is worse than my current non-restriction on ADSLmax.

I see your point,  think I was being a little too over-simplistic.  I saw in general that restrictions and bandwidth allowance had been improved, you are correct that in all instances this isn't true.
The other silly, but reasonable consideration I'm making is that previously my max speed was just under 2Mbit, so where a restriction is now set at 5Mbit, I'm technically no worse off.  This doesn't work for everyone though.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
The last two questions in the fibre launch FAQ refer to costs and contract implication for free trial and commercial (paid) trial users changing to the new products.

Right - that's the FAQ I saw that mentions the triallists. The one linked from the main product offering page goes to http://www.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml#fbtop, which doesn't mention them.
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: phil4
The other silly, but reasonable consideration I'm making is that previously my max speed was just under 2Mbit, so where a restriction is now set at 5Mbit, I'm technically no worse off.  This doesn't work for everyone though.

Perfectly true - not everyone runs at decent line speeds on the existing products, and the fibre packages are a real step-up for them.
For me, while I might notice the downstream restrictions sometimes, I think they'll be offset by the considerably better upstream. I'm reckon the loss of that restriction will be more telling over a greater period than anything else.
One aspect about the new "day-long" restrictions that I'm coming to like less-and-less is that (I think) they're still dimensioned to give a reasonable experience at each of the primary uses (eg HD streaming, or HD Yourtube). However, a primary selling point for fibre is that it lets a multi-person household be able to do multiple things online, in parallel. Multiple users streaming different HD streams, etc. That selling point disappears with some of the limits in place - or forces the use of the "Pro" add-on.
That is, at least, the saving grace - the new add-on acts as a great catch-all, that fixes most "odd" cases. It gives much better flexibility than the old Pro product.
But it's all still theoretical. My order is stuck in an abyss between Openreach and Wholesale. Rescue attempts are ongoing...
Plusnet Customer
phil4
Grafter

I noticed that it's billing day and I've not changed products, indeed trial fee (£12) has been applied to take me to 8th June.
This isn't a problem for me (otherwise I'd have asked for the change), but wondered if/when the auto-move of people to the appropriate Extra product was pencilled in?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi WWWombat,
As discussed with yourself the fibre install order has been placed and the HLE team at BT wholesale are working hard to expedite this for tomorrow for us.
As promised I'll come back to you as soon as I have confirmation. Smiley
PS the order will complete with a 2mb upstreadm but we will upgrade that within 48 hours to 10mb for you
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Adam, and for the updates via phone. I *really* hope you got to be angry at someone Cool Someone certainly deserved it!
Strange thread to answer in, though...
... but as we're here, I'll ask a question about the packages.
When our order started, we were on ADSL Home Surf - which got managed as Premier option 1. A part of the order meant swapping to Extra, in preparation.
I assume we will stay on our Extra package for now, until the next start-of-month at least. But will we change automatically, or should we request a change to the Fibre-Extra package?
When is the latest we should let you know if we do (or don't) want to make the change (Next billing day will be the 6th, Monday)?
As I said earlier on this thread, we might actually be better off on "Value Fibre" + "Pro", rather than "Extra Fibre". Is there any reason we should NOT go with that choice?
Plusnet Customer
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Thanks Adam, and for the updates via phone. I *really* hope you got to be angry at someone Cool Someone certainly deserved it!

To quote a certain Mr Banner "Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!"
All the same I'm remaining focussed and on the case with this today.
The package will be changed by us when fibre is installed (chasing that like crazy now).
It's up to you which package you go for, in my opinion the main difference is the bandwidth allocation, sorry if I missed that question previously.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team