Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FTTC] Usage question - impact of Google Earth

mjb
Dabbler

[FTTC] Usage question - impact of Google Earth

Hi,
I was upgraded to FTTC in mid-December, and everything seems to be fine in terms of speed so far.
My question for you all is: does anyone know what sort of usage excessive use of Google Earth causes? My 3 year old discovered Google Earth at roughly the same time as our upgrade, which also coincides with a huge increase in our usage stats. He seems to enjoy spending quite a lot of time flying over the Earth, Moon, Mars, and sky, and using the Street View element.
Clearly some of the increase is down to my usage to see what impact the news speeds had, including fairly frequent use of speed testing sites, but I was just wondering what sort of bandwidth Google Earth uses. The increased speeds make Google Earth a much better experience than in my pre-FTTC days (when my download speed on ADSL 2+ maxed out at about 5Mbps).
Previously, we had to work quite hard to get our usage above 10GB, but in December we hit 20GB, and so far in the first half of January we are up to about 6GB.
Thanks,
Mike
2 REPLIES 2
TBSteve
Grafter

Re: [FTTC] Usage question - impact of Google Earth

It doesn't seem too bad if you are only at 6GB mid month - I'm assuming that your limit is at least 20GB, so there should be no problem.
He's 3, he'll probably get bored sooner rather than later 🙂
mjb
Dabbler

Re: [FTTC] Usage question - impact of Google Earth

I am sure that is true - perhaps I should direct him to some lower bandwith using applications! I was just mildly surprised that our usage levels went up so much, as I didn't think much had changed in our usage patterns, except for Google Earth!
As for the current month's usage - our month only started on Jan 7th - so its 6GB in as many days - should still stay well within the 60GB limit though!
Mike