cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Trial ending - Leaving FTTC (& Fault 40159616)

Danplusnet
Grafter

FTTC Trial ending - Leaving FTTC (& Fault 40159616)

My FTTC is playing up once again during the busier periods speeds drop erratically from 30-32meg in the day to anything between 3-15meg in the evening (via the BT Speedtester) even though capacity has been increased. With the number jumping around every second and a fault threshold of 12meg the fault finding process is going to be of little use. These speed swings do affect online gaming and to a degree negate the point of having the pro package.
However, my question is regarding the announcement of FTTC going live. It states that we (trial users) have until April to migrate away from FTTC and after this time we can only use FTTC products. I'm not yet convinced given the above explanation that I want to be stuck with FTTC. What happens should someone decide to leave Plusnet from April to an alternate provider. Are we going to incur some exit/ installation charge to convert us back to ADSL so we are able to migrate.
Have now logged a fault so you can see for yoursleves.
Al.so worth noting is that the BT speedtester identifes performance is well below the minimum threshold and wants to perform a tap 3 test. Once logged as the speedtest@speedtest_domain user, and an intenet connection is made the tap three test fails to load up and says no connectiion (I can see it connected in the router stats).

Initail test result below
Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
4128 Kbps

0 Kbps 38717 KbpsMax Achievable Speed
> Download speed achieved during the test was - 4128 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12000-38717 Kbps . Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
8065 Kbps

0 Kbps 10000 KbpsMax Achievable Speed
>Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 8065 Kbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.
5 REPLIES 5
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Trial ending - Leaving FTTC (& Fault 40159616)

Hi,
I think you've misunderstood what's happening in April. What we've said is that all our existing customers can stay on FTTC is a long as they like. We don't want anyone to switch back to ADSL.
We'll soon be launching our FTTC products and what we've said is that all existing FTTC trial customers are more than welcome to switch to whatever FTTC product we launch or they can stay on whatever ADSL product they are on. The restriction is that if you want to change to our current Value, Extra or Pro ADSL products you would need to do so before as April as once we launch our FTTC product you would only be able to switch to whatever FTTC product we launch.
There's no exit fee for our trial customers to leave other than what would be on their account should they have left if they weren't on the trial (e.g. deferred ADSL activation fee). Migration from FTTC to another ISP with ADSL is possible and FTTC to another ISP and keep the FTTC. Moving to ADSL is not recommended though.
With the tap 3 test, make sure you've got your DNS servers set as server assigned, if you've got them specified that may explain why it doesn't load. BT will want that 3rd test completing to be able to raise a fault.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

now sadly i'm confused...
so if i don't do anything will i stay on pro over fttc or will i be moved back to adsl pro
or do i need to pick one of the new fttc products?
if i do pick one of the new fttc products will i then be charged at a new rate?
guess some of this will make more sense when the new products are announced
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

If you don't do anything you'll stay where you are, i.e. stay on Pro with FTTC. From April you won't be able to move to Value or Extra. No one will be moved back to ADSL.
If you pick an FTTC product when it's available you'll pay the FTTC price and get whatever comes with that package.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

ah ok, twas what i'd thought... 🙂
thanks
Danplusnet
Grafter

To explain myself a little more clearly
The first line of your response is my concern, in that, once FTTC is live you won't allow us to move back to ADSL. I just what to check that if want ADSL and therefore have to leave Plusnet do get it then I can go to other ISP's and still get ADSL without incuring any "conversion from FTTC to ADSL" etc.I imagine that phone calls still come down the copper lines so it won't be a problem but want to ensure that as far as other ISPs are concerned the fact I once had FTTC is irrelevant to them.
With regard to the Tap three fault test my router gets all its DNS assigned dynamically. My set up hasn't changed so it i seems like there is an issue with the BT speedtester. I am doing the same as i did with the last three FTTC faults in which the tap3 worked just fine.