cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FTTC] Some New install questions

Vip3r
Grafter

[FTTC] Some New install questions

Hi all, I’m interested in joining the FTTC trial, but would like a bit more info about the install process.
My Setup:
Master socket: In cupboard Downstairs by the front door, No power sockets.
My Bedroom: Directly above the master socket
I have a small hole in the ceiling/floorboard that I have passes a phone cable through and wired it to a socket in my room, next to the PC where I have the current ADSL router connected.
What is the Data extension kit? is it
a) a straight cable of a preset length with RJ11 ends already connected
b) is it a reel of cable that will be cut to size and then have the RJ11 ends attached
c) a reel of cable that will be cut to size and then have the RJ11 sockets attached and a flylead then to connect to the router
d) Something else?
Primarily I would like to know, If I were to drill another hole would the BT engineer run the extension kit through it for me and connect it up?
And how big a hole would I need to drill?
Can I get the kit sent in advance so I can run it through ready for the engineer?
Also is there any intention to start trialling a single box solution (Combined VDLS and Router) similar to the ADSL + Routers we use now?
Is there any choice in the make of router plusnet will supply? I see there is talk of Thomson, Netgear, and Zyxel?
Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
TBSteve
Grafter

Re: [FTTC] Some New install questions

From what I understand the BT Openreach engineer will be able to do that for you. If you have a hole there it should be big enough if it could take two phone cables.
As for routers it seems that recently everyone is getting Netgear WNR1000.
I don't know if there is such a thing as a combined modem router for this - would be handy if there was 🙂
TonyC
Grafter

I had the same setup as you, master socket downstairs (though not NTE) and a self-installed extension up the wall, through the ceiling to the room above.
Before the engineer arrived I moved some stuff upstairs so I could pull the floorboards up upstairs to get to the hole.
When the engineer came, he was more than happy to install the new Master Socket (NTE) upstairs , and using the same cable (but obviously a seperate pair in the cable) ran the signal back downstairs to the original master socket so it was basically an extension.
He was more than happy to run the new cable up the wall, through the existing hole and because I had pulled the floorboard up had easy access to install the new cable & NTE (after removing the old extension cable i had installed)
result: Master Socket upstairs in Study, extension downstairs for main phone.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I believe one combined VDSL router is being trialled by one or two FTTP installations, however it is a non-standard set-up which BT are currently very reluctant to approve at the moment. All FTTC installs use the BT supplied VDSL router because BT know it will work. One thing you need to ensure when running trials is you use equipment that has been proven and tested to work rather than some unknown router. Also if the VDSL modem fails, BT will replace it. If your own VDSL router does not work BT and not going to spend time trying to fix it.
VDSL modems do exist but they are very expensive because very few are sold in this country (at the moment) and I can't see PN supplying such a device in the near future due to cost.