cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC: Plusnet Pro or Extra?

martinanderson
Dabbler

FTTC: Plusnet Pro or Extra?

I've been on the FTTC trial for about five hours now and I'm loving it. I'm getting 33MB per sec so I couldn't be happier. But I'm wondering what the best broadband package would be. I'm currently on Pro, which I chose for the prioritised line but it has a download limit of 20GB which I could easily exceed. Extra has a limit of 60GB, which I would love, but no prioritised line. I'm wondering if this will make much of a difference now that I'm on FTTC? Are fibre speeds likely to drop much at peak times? I'm guessing that since so few people are using FTTC its not really an issue and paying for a prioritised line is unnecessary.. Could anyone shed some light on this for me?
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: FTTC: Plusnet Pro or Extra?

Extra has fixed speed restrictions so it does not matter how fast your connection is above 8Mbs, you will be restricted to the speeds in the following table.
https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#extraSpeeds
martinanderson
Dabbler

Didn't realise that Extra deliberately restricted speeds. Considering I'm on FTTC, its just not worth it. Thanks for the info.
tedsloan
Dabbler

I too want to increase my download limit and as a result of the above message telephoned the ( Indian based ??  ) help line. The person handling the call denied that PlusNet offered FTTC and this was after consulting with a  colleague.
I expect that the policy of not allowing an increase is brought about by the inevitable  heavier useage resulting in FTTC-people blocking the pipes for everyone else!
I hope PlusNet will eventually bring in a new product for fibre users.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The call centre was probably in Durban South Africa, but we do have a few foreign nationals working in the main Sheffield cantre
zubel
Community Veteran

Plusnet don't offer FTTC.  They are currently trialling it with a select number of people.
CSC have no training on FTTC and can offer no assistance, thus the only way to apply (and get support) is to follow the stickies in this forum.
B.
rtjones2
Dabbler

I'm also on extra......dump question comming up prepare yourself....
Does that mean to get the full advantage of the FTTC speeds at all times I need to upgrade my connection to PRO?
Fletch
Grafter

We are going to start putting together a couple of "trial" product builds for fibre, with new traffic shaping.  By design the bandwidth capacity for Fibre, and 21CN is shared at the moment and we need to spend some time working through how and whether we allocate capacity separately or continue to share.  Main concern for us still is how we manage peak time burst when we are moving from a world where are average sync is 4.5mb to one where it is closer to 18mb!
We will be posting up the initial proposals in the next couple of months.  This has nothing to do with the fact that my cabinet is being enabled this month.  Cheesy
Thanks
Fletch
bluewhale
Rising Star

yes going to be interesting to see how this all works once more people start moving over
and streaming tv etc starts to become more of a norm.
lets hope that things dont like the adsl2+ trial went when it went live.
i went from a great service to an average to bad one