Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - No router received - buy own? Recommendations please

artisan
Dabbler

FTTC - No router received - buy own? Recommendations please

Hi
Openreach are coming on Tues to to install FTTC but I haven't received the promised router yet so guess I'm gonna have to buy my own?  Any recommendations?  Is the netgear basic model OK? - would like one I don't have to reset every week (like my current DG834GT).
7 REPLIES 7
jedi98
Grafter

Re: FTTC - No router received - buy own? Recommendations please

If you can use cat5 to the BT socket and you can make do with one PC until the router arrives then you can connect straight to the BT VDSL modem, use PPPoE and make sure your firewall is on.
oakwoods
Dabbler

Same problem here. No router was sent but worse, the evening before the engineer was due, I phoned Plusnet and was told the email was wrong and the BT engineer would bring one. Needless to say the BT engineer hadno router & did not have many good words about Plusnet. I am plugged in directly to the BT modem but I have no network as the LAN2 port on the modem is not operational. Phoned Plusnet who apologised for the misinformation and they have promised to send a router but they have confirmed that it is not a gigabit router so I will have to buy my own anyway. Have to say I wish I had gone to BT Infinity rather than being persuaded to join the trial when I phoned for a MAC code. So far this has taken over 5 weeks.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: artisan
Is the netgear basic model OK? - would like one I don't have to reset every week (like my current DG834GT).

Depends on what you mean by basic. Remember, you need a DSL or WAN router that you would normally use on a cable connection - this uses an separate RJ45 ethernet port and PPPoE to connect rather than an ADSL modem, phone port and PPPoA. So a basic ADSL modem will not work.
Quite a few people have reported not getting their FTTC routers in time and given that PN have at least 2 weeks to send it, it's very bad. Seems like all areas of PN are going downhill fast.
That saying... my FTTC connection has been rock solid and since it was installed and the speed difference is well worth the wait!
jedi98
Grafter

Quote from: oakwoods
...I phoned Plusnet and was told the email was wrong and the BT engineer would bring one...

Plusnet please note well: This is simple stuff, the support people should know the difference between a BT VDSL modem and a plusnet supplied router. Customers rely on YOU for this, they do not all know it themselves.
derek268
Dabbler

I had problem with getting router.
My FTTC connection due Wednesday of this week.
Was told router had been posted last Friday but they despatch didnt get dealt with until after 11pm on the Monday night.
It wasnt delivered till lunchtime today.
The router PN send is Netgear WNR1000.
Waiting for BT or Plusnet to get back to me to arrange engineer to call back but as usual getting PN to answer your ticket is a bit of a chore.
I am giving them a call tomorrow to get engineer back.
Would suggest you give them a call to find out pecisely when they sent the router because youll need to add 2 or 3 days for it to get delivered by Royal Mail.
Good luck
Derek
artisan
Dabbler

Well it looks like the WNR1000 router seems to do the job so will have to pop down best-buy if it doesn't get here by Monday - unfortunately cannot just use PC as have a number of machines (inc server) hanging off the home network.
Agree that PN seem to be taking for ever to respond to questions - have raised a new one because commenting on the FTTC install 'question' didn't elict a response at all.  Can't face sitting on a telephone queue - it just p***es me off!  I only write letters these days to utility companies and the like - takes longer but infinitely less hassle!
chrisoldinho
Grafter

ASUS RT-N16, 128MB Flash Memory, 480Mhz CPU. Wireless N, Gigabit Ethernet
The reason I opted it for this is because it is extemely powerful and it supports DD-WRT custom *nix firmware (new Kernel 2.6), which will turn any medicore firmware router into an enterprise class level router...
Far too many options to list, but with the DD-WRT firmware, and optware (OTRW) installed to a USB flash disc attached I have:-
MiniDNLA
Samba3.5
So essentially a full NAS
Transmission BitTorrent Client
Extremely capable firewall and security
Very tightly configured network with an incredible number of options simply not available in most normal router firmwares.
Just my 2p worth but I would never go back to a standard FW having used something this capable now.
Chris.