cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC: Intermittent connection since last evening (22nd march)

kullyrai
Dabbler

FTTC: Intermittent connection since last evening (22nd march)

Hi,
I am on the Fibre trial (FTTC)
I have found that since the evening of 22nd March, the Internet connection keeps dropping (Yellow light on Netgear router, and no solid DSL light on BT modem)
I have tried power cycling both the modem and router in the correct order multiple times, and the connection does not always come back first time. When the modem and router does connect again, it does not always last long before the connection drops again.
I have also tried leaving the modem disconnected for up to 10minutes before powering up again, but this made no noticeable difference to connection quality
Is there an issue with BT connectivity?
thanks
Kullyrai
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: FTTC: Intermittent connection since last evening (22nd march)

Is your VDSL modem getting hot? There have been some cases where the VDSL modem overheats and drops the connection. Ensure it is in an open area, and you don't have anything warm on top or near it. As a test if you have a desk fan, try using it to cool it and see if the connection stays up.
If it is hot and the problem keeps happening ring support and explain you may have a faulty VDSL modem due to overheating.
It is quite normal to have problems reconnecting. I used to get it a lot but it's happening a lot less now, especially when using the Netgear WNR1000v2.
kullyrai
Dabbler

Hi Peter,
thanks for the tip, I will check when I get back.
I have not noticed the VDSL modem getting hot, but then I have not specifically checked that (I only pull the power lead out of the back and re-connect when power cycling)
I am actually using the Netgear WNR1000 router too. It was fine from the start of the trial (end of jan for me), it is only the last few days issues have started.
Is there any way to check uptime stats for the VDSL modem/
thanks
kullyrai
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No.