cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Installed Today (Tue 22 March)

Shofar
Grafter

FTTC Installed Today (Tue 22 March)

Just to let you know that my FTTC service was installed today.
Gavin, the BT engineer, phoned and came early.  Took 15-minutes to do the cabinet work and as long to set up the socket and modem.  Stayed until everything was working and made sure everything I had connected okay. Checked the phone connections without being asked to wait  around and then stayed until he was sure that I was happy with everything.
Want to sing the praises of this guy as BT can be a tad difficult sometimes!
Will wait the 48-hour period for PN to do the manual profile update and then post again but just wanted to say that all has gone so well from the beginning.
Thanks PN (for now... ;D)
Regards
Paul
7 REPLIES 7
G3YBO
Grafter

Re: FTTC Installed Today (Tue 22 March)

Hi...............Also FTTC to day..............Very good BT engineer here at 8am.......30 minutes to fit Modem and check line at
the master socket and at the end of my RJ45 cabel to Netgear WNR 1000V3.......Now also wait for Plusnet to do their bit with
my profile......Great..............Roger
Shofar
Grafter

48-HOUR UPDATE:
Connection has been a bit erratic and speed a bit of a roller coaster but to be expected during the 10-day settling in period.  However, for the most part, have had download speeds of just over 37 Mbps and uploads of 8 Mbps.
Profile on BT speed test shows correctly for FTTC but PN Current line speed still showing as 8 Mb.
Will update again at 10-days unless something drastic happens.
If PN need to change something regarding line speed, could someone look at it if they get a chance please.
Thanks
Paul
25th March 2011:  Profile updated.  Thanks for everything PN!
Shofar
Grafter

10 DAYS IN:
Most of the settling in period wasn't too bad with a number of drop-outs and speed fluctuations.  However, the drop-outs seemed to go on for quite a while with day nine losing the service for around 12-hours.  Running Mac diagnostics showed that the connection was good through ethernet to network and on to ISP but the internet connection was lost.
Day 10 has been okay (no drop-out) but speed has settled down at around 34 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.  During the first week speed was around 37.5 down and 10.2 up.  The BT engineer said I was getting 40 at the socket, so when it went to around 37 I wasn't too unhappy.  At 34 the edge of excitement has been taken off a little but I suppose you get spoilt and quickly forget the snail-pace 9.5 Mbps of the old days!
The transition from ADSL Extra to Fibre went well and the drop-outs and speed fluctuations were not too bad.  Would be good to get the speed back up there to around 37+ down and 10 up but we'll see how it goes.
Hopefully there won't be any more long drop-outs but will update if there are.  Also will keep an eye on the modem as issues with them have been flagged up recently.  This one gets more attention than a family pet and sits on a wire rack on a window sill with a continual cool air flow.
Of course, if the drop-outs go on and speed drops I will raise a ticket.  We shall see!
Should anyone from PN have any comments so far, or wish to confirm that my report on the running-in period is par (or better) for the course it would be appreciated.
For note, the set up is BT modem connected by 10-feet of Cat 6, 1GB ethernet cable to Netgear with Cat 6, 1GB ethernet cable to 1TB iMac 3.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM.
itsme
Grafter

The  12 hour lost of internet was probably down to BT's Major Service Outage and not related to your fibre connection.
Shofar
Grafter

Thanks for clearing that up.  Thought I might have been having a serious problem with that one.
roost78
Grafter

I have been migrated to FTTC this morning and it was surprisingly quick!! How long does it normally take for your profile to be updated? I know they say wait 48 hours but I have had a download speed of just over 1mb for the past three years so you can imagine my eagerness.
Shofar
Grafter

1mb!  It's probably quicker by post.  I can understand your eagerness!!!
What sort of speeds are you getting at the moment, and have you looked at your profile when you sign in to PlusNet?
If you're not sure what I mean, sign in to your account and go to Connection Settings in the left hand column under the heading My Account.  Click on the High-Speed Broadband and see what it says under Current Line Speed.  Mine stands at 37.
Lastly, give it 2-3 days then, if you're not sure, raise a question here probably with the heading: FTTC Line Profile and ask someone from PN to check it for you.  It's sometimes quicker than raising a ticket.
However, with my thread  at support being open from the date of order - you should have a Your Question Has Been Answered... - dialogue box at the top of the page when you sign in.  You can go to this and update your details with the line profile question and they'll get back to you pretty quickly.
Also, try these sites for speed checks.  The BT site should tell you your throughput speeds and the line profile they have for you.
http://speedtest.net/ ;   (uses different servers so could affect results)
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ ; (uses same server)
http://speedtester.bt.com/ ;   (most information)

Hope this helps.  Do let us know.
Of course, if anyone else has better info, please post.
Regards
Paul